Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein vs Sugar

Pretty much the only way for me to get my Protein in is primarily through Protein Shakes. I really struggle with meat and other high protein regular foods so the shakes are really my main source. I've tried so many shakes and am down to only a few that I can tolerate. But they seem to have a lot of sugar. Given how critical protein is for us post surgery I feel like I'm making the right decision in choosing to get in my protein despite the high sugar content. Thoughts?

What do you define as high sugar?

Premier Protein has 1g of sugar.. have you tried some of the ready made ones?

I agree with the above posters...theres tons of pre-made shakes out there that are low in sugar. Gotta do some research.. I find that premier tastes the best. Isopure and Unjury are pretty good also.

Yes I'm talking about the ready to drink shakes because convenience helps me be more successful. I've tried many different drinks and have settled on 4 different ones (plus different flavors of each). Screenshot attached. The first one is a more traditional milk based shake and the other three are more yogurt/juice types. For some reason I'm doing better at drinking these better than eating the spoon-yogurt version but those last three seem to be so high in carbs/sugar which makes me question whether it's ok to have that much of it helps me get to my Protein goal. I have a call into my nutritionist to ask her but thought I'd post or here as well. Screenshot_20181206-223817_Baritastic.jpeg

On 12/6/2018 at 10:52 PM, rs said:

Yes I'm talking about the ready to drink shakes because convenience helps me be more successful. I've tried many different drinks and have settled on 4 different ones (plus different flavors of each). Screenshot attached. The first one is a more traditional milk based shake and the other three are more yogurt/juice types. For some reason I'm doing better at drinking these better than eating the spoon-yogurt version but those last three seem to be so high in carbs/sugar which makes me question whether it's ok to have that much of it helps me get to my Protein goal. I have a call into my nutritionist to ask her but thought I'd post or here as well. Screenshot_20181206-223817_Baritastic.jpeg

Those are way too carb/calorie laden for me. It will slow your weight loss drinking those.

As many have mentioned here, have you treid Premier Protein, Muscle Milk RTD, or the other high Protein, low cal options out there?

At 4 months out, you should be able to tolerate food rather than relying on shakes to meet your nutritional goals. I would recommend discussing with your team why you can not tolerate at least soft foods. The sugary ones you listed are not appropriate and will likely jeopardize your weight loss and maybe cause dumping. If you must do shakes, use some FairLife milk and one of the low sugar powders and make your own.

Whoa, those are really, really high carb. I was told 10g of carbs or less and 3g of fat or less. I know pre-made is convenient, but trryyyyy some mix ones. I can't tolerate whey at all, but Now Sports makes a good soy Protein. There are protein waters, too. Atkins is a little high in fat, but within the carb limit. Have you tried Atkins shakes? Also AdvantEdge is within the carbs and fat range and pre-made. Both are sold at Walmart.