Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sophomoreville - A Home For The the Tweeners

Just calling like I see it. Creating exclusionary zones in a place that’s supposed to be supportive just seems juvenile, as does getting overheated/throwing a tantrum and unfollowing someone (😂😂) for merely disagreeing with something you’ve said.

I created a January 2019 challenge for everyone to participate in where they can set their own goal but this time maximum participation efforts requested. And incentives....

37 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

Just calling like I see it. Creating exclusionary zones in a place that’s supposed to be supportive just seems juvenile, as does getting overheated/throwing a tantrum and unfollowing someone (😂😂) for merely disagreeing with something you’ve said.

LOL. When did I unfollow you? As far as I remember (which isn't much longer than about a hot minute), I was never one of your followers. LOL. Sorry. Where am I "overheated" and "throwing a temper tantrum? Hahaha! Sorry you're giving yourself and this thread way too much importance in my life. ;) (For the record I actually have no idea how to "unfollow" someone, nor block them. Way too much effort involved.)

Edited by FluffyChix

5 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

K thanks for your opinion. But the POINT of this thread was to be able to have a space uniquely our own just as the VETS have their own forum that we cannot post in. Just as the GUYS have their own forum that makes them totally wigged out if we girls post in it. I was hoping the Sophomores could have their own thread and space to discuss issues that might be somewhat unique to where we are in our journey. I don't think it's right for people who are still newly into surgery to insinuate themselves into the area where our needs/crises/challenges are completely different.

Not trying to be a mean girl. But glad I know your opinion of me. I much prefer straight forward to pretend.

Seems more like everyday chat and issues/challenges rather than unique 'sophomores' chat and issues/challenges.

I like this space being 6 months+, it serves two purposes: screens out some of the topics that get brought up on literally every other thread in the forum, and groups together people in the same general phase of progress. It’s not like this same group of participants will stay static; new people will join and older ones will age out into the Vets space. So not a clique, just a phase.

There’s nothing wrong with what’s happening on other parts of the boards. It’s good that people are able to ask questions about the process on the forum, but once you’ve cleared the post-op figuring it all out phase and aren’t yet at maintenance, much of the forum threads just become rehashed stuff that you’ve read 100 times (and I’m not just talking about the topics; EVERY thread gravitates to the same post-op concerns). Then the options are to either leave the forum, spend a hell of a lot of time in the Rants section, or try to carve out a single thread with a different focus.

This is that thread. There’s a gap currently in the board’s design and this is an effort to bridge that gap.

I wish the site would consider creating additional levels besides gen pop and vets. We are alreadly excluded from vet forums until 18 months post and it's really hard to want to stay in the weeds. We do have a different set of concerns the further out we get. I hope no one feels excluded.

6 hours ago, sideeye said:

I like this space being 6 months+, it serves two purposes: screens out some of the topics that get brought up on literally every other thread in the forum, and groups together people in the same general phase of progress. It’s not like this same group of participants will stay static; new people will join and older ones will age out into the Vets space. So not a clique, just a phase.

There’s nothing wrong with what’s happening on other parts of the boards. It’s good that people are able to ask questions about the process on the forum, but once you’ve cleared the post-op figuring it all out phase and aren’t yet at maintenance, much of the forum threads just become rehashed stuff that you’ve read 100 times (and I’m not just talking about the topics; EVERY thread gravitates to the same post-op concerns). Then the options are to either leave the forum, spend a hell of a lot of time in the Rants section, or try to carve out a single thread with a different focus.

This is that thread. There’s a gap currently in the board’s design and this is an effort to bridge that gap.

OMG. This!!! A meeeeeellllllion times, this! ^^^^ That's all this thread is supposed to be about! It's official...you complete me. :D

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

I wish the site would consider creating additional levels besides gen pop and vets. We are alreadly excluded from vet forums until 18 months post and it's really hard to want to stay in the weeds. We do have a different set of concerns the further out we get. I hope no one feels excluded.

Exactly! I was hoping this thread would be a "test" case to help convince Alex and Ken of the need for our own little wonderland. Cuz it IS hard being in between--and staying focused to meet our goal when diet fatigue is hard on our heels!

First time posting here— didn’t really understand what the thread was about and thought it was for people who had college age students who came home for holidays (haha!)

I’m just over a year out (dec 20).
I’m in maintenance and navigating all that goes with it- slipped into not tracking so trying to get back into that habit!

A side topic—- anyone have any advice to firm up neck area?!?! Ugh

image-0.00405311584472656.jpg

7 hours ago, sideeye said:

You explained this perfectly!

1 minute ago, BostonWLKC said:

First time posting here— didn’t really understand what the thread was about and thought it was for people who had college age students who came home for holidays (haha!)

I’m just over a year out (dec 20).
I’m in maintenance and navigating all that goes with it- slipped into it tracking so trying to get back into that habit!

A side topic—- anyone have any advice to firm up neck area?!?! Ugh

image-0.00405311584472656.jpg

Welcome!!! Sorry for the confusion!!!!

I hope someone hops on and talks turkey with us! I actually don't know if I have this problem. :D My vision isn't so good at a distance and I avoid looking at myself too closely! ;) It keeps teary breakdowns to a minimum. ((hugs)) Congrats on goal and on maintaining!!!! Woooooottttt! WTG on tracking again!!!

Well like Frenchy in the movie, I too am a beauty school drop-out. What they told us way back then, tilt your head back until you're looking at the ceiling, now open and shut your mouth widely like a giant yawn. 15 repetitions, within 3 weeks since you are exercising those upper neck muscles, they will get stronger and no more floppy chin and less Turkey rolls. Only thing you are definitely doing hurts no one, just looks very weird.

Really not complaining that much as it’s really the only place that sags (tummy a little bit smoooshie but overall ok)

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions!

Hi - I Just spent the better part of 40 minutes reading through this thread. Thanks for creating it! As not yet vets, we do have different topics to talk about and I find it very refreshing to see many of you are dealing with the same things I am. Also, nothing on this site is exclusionary - you are free to post/read/or ignore anything you wish. Don't understand the whole "mean girl" exchange - that was quite disappointing to come across right at the end.

I was curious what size you all started at and what size you are wearing now.

For me, I was in a size 20 and typically shopped at Dress Barn. Today I put on my first size 4 dress (SIZE FOUR!) that I bought this week at Ann Taylor.

I still have about 8 more pounds I want to lose - I don't want to be too skinny. I think my BMI says I should get down to 140 but I think 150 will be a good weight on me. But who knows - maybe I'll hit the 140 eventually?

I started working out with a personal trainer which has helped with toning, but I do anticipate that I will have to do a breast aug/lift/neck lift/arms. I'm not too worried about my tummy/thighs - as someone said no matter how short my skirts are, no one will see that :) (And my skirts are getting shorter!!)

Finally to the topic of hair - my hair has thinned significantly and I have been wearing a topper for the better part of 4 months. I just ordered a second one as I think it may take at least a year for my hair to regrow back to what it was before.

Sorry for the long post - just catching up!

Roxine

Welcome, @Roxine

This thread is really nice for us mid-range people approaching goal! Our surgeries were about 1 week apart. I started out a size 24, now fit size 12-14. I'm almost 5'7 and have no idea how some of you can fit into such small sizes. I am over-the-top jealous! I'm about 5 pounds from my initial goal of 150. Congrats on your amazing progress!