Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sophomoreville - A Home For The the Tweeners

5 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I'm in! Haven't tried wigs yet. Hair loss has finally slowed down, but what's left looks so dry & brittle! Ugh! I was 9 months out from sleeve on 11/26, or 4 weeks out from RnY, however you want to count it.

@Orchids&Dragons Apologies if you have shared before, but I haven't come across it. Did something happen with your sleeve that required conversion to RnY in such a short amount of time?

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

@Orchids&Dragons Apologies if you have shared before, but I haven't come across it. Did something happen with your sleeve that required conversion to RnY in such a short amount of time?

Severe reflux. I wish I'd waited longer to do the conversion, though. I thought it was easier to lose weight with the sleeve. I had far more restriction with the sleeve than I have now and that scares the living hell out of me. I LOVED my restriction. We joked that I had less of a "banana" and more of an "anorexic string bean" for a tummy, but it worked great for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

But I chose to do the surgery as soon as possible since we've already maxed out the deductible & co-pays for the year, plus my surgeon was planning to leave the practice 2 days after my surgery.

Topic for discussion ... this is going to be controversial

Hydration - Why?

On this thread we have some big hydration proponents. Fluid minimums of 64 oz is one of the few commonalities all WLS programs seem to have. I get hydration as a way to suppress one's appetite. But 64 oz or even more is often advocated as necessary for basic bodily functions. But surely many (most?) people fall short of that every day. What are the consequences, besides the obvious critical dehydration.

Confession time. I'm not a hydrater. I drink very little most day, always have. I'm rarely thirsty. Most days I would estimate I average about 20 oz of fluids. During most of my WLS journey I focused on getting to 64 oz, I didn't make it most days, but was generally higher than my "lifetime average".

Why am I able to function on so little fluids? My labs are always perfect, other than being overweight, I've had no health issues. I'm by all standards chronically dehydrated, but yet I feel good and am healthy by all measures.

Am I an anomaly? Does most of the world really get 64 oz + everyday? If not, why are there no obvious consequences?

I guess I qualify for this group since I am 7 months post op as of last Sunday. Overall, it has been pretty easy and I am ecstatic about the results to this point. I still have a lot of restriction and do not get super hungry and get satisfied very easily. Biggest challenges for me are some occasional snacking and of course, alcohol. I am fully aware that I probably would have lost a bit more by now if I did not drink at all but I am just unwilling to do that. It is what it is...

Hair loss has been ongoing but no one notices other than me and my hairdresser. I have very thick, naturally wavy hair and I never use heat on it now. When it was longer I used hot rollers every day but now I just apply product and let it dry naturally and use a pick to fluff it out when it is dry.

I always get in at least 80 ounces of Water in addition to 32 ounces of regular coffee and about 6 ounces of PP shake per day. Since I am low carb it is essential to stay hydrated since ketosis also dehydrates you and I do not feel right if I do not drink enough water. I never drink sodas because I don't like them. I tried prosecco once on Thanksgiving and it was bad, the carbonation was painful and I was burping loudly for 2 hours. No carbonation for me. I do use Mio drops occasionally for variety, the berry pomegranate one is my favorite and it is especially good in hot water.

We walk 1.75 at least 5 days a week unless it is raining and then I do about 45 minutes on the elliptical. I need to start more weight training and there is no reason since I have the bench and free weights right here. Really want to start doing yoga once I lose a little more.

55 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Hydration - Why?

On this thread we have some big hydration proponents. Fluid minimums of 64 oz is one of the few commonalities all WLS programs seem to have. I get hydration as a way to suppress one's appetite. But 64 oz or even more is often advocated as necessary for basic bodily functions. But surely many (most?) people fall short of that every day. What are the consequences, besides the obvious critical dehydration.

Confession time. I'm not a hydrater. I drink very little most day, always have. I'm rarely thirsty. Most days I would estimate I average about 20 oz of fluids. During most of my WLS journey I focused on getting to 64 oz, I didn't make it most days, but was generally higher than my "lifetime average".

Why am I able to function on so little fluids? My labs are always perfect, other than being overweight, I've had no health issues. I'm by all standards chronically dehydrated, but yet I feel good and am healthy by all measures.

Am I an anomaly? Does most of the world really get 64 oz + everyday? If not, why are there no obvious consequences?

We're polar opposites! I'm always thirsty and hardly ever have less than 100 oz./day of liquids. (No not diabetic) I have always drunk this much and crave it.

That being said, my cardiologist wants me to cut way back (say under 50 oz/day) because I retain Fluid in my legs. He's got me on diuretics. So, I'm just totally messed up. Kidney doctor wants me to drink more because my blood Calcium is too high. What's a girl to do? Throw them in the octagon and let them duke it out?

49 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

We're polar opposites! I'm always thirsty and hardly ever have less than 100 oz./day of liquids. (No not diabetic) I have always drunk this much and crave it.

That being said, my cardiologist wants me to cut way back (say under 50 oz/day) because I retain Fluid in my legs. He's got me on diuretics. So, I'm just totally messed up. Kidney doctor wants me to drink more because my blood Calcium is too high. What's a girl to do? Throw them in the octagon and let them duke it out?

Drinking 100 oz sounds like some kind of torture for me. Unless it was beer pre-WLS! :lol:

Would your cardiologist be okay with you consuming more fluids if you wore compression socks/legging?

23 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

So the L-lysine are horse pills? :(

Crap!!

This is a great question actually! Do you think that maintenance is as varied as all our pre-op liquid diets were? :D What a nightmare!

Are you saying you eat a lot? But that's because you are so diligent about working out like a beast? (BTW, I'd secretly not so secretly like to be you when I grow up. :D )

image.jpeg.88ef66b887cc9d05c3e1c1e363f22ef0.jpeg

Yep varied plans maintaining. You know me, I indulge. I have times I carb load. If your in weight loss mode don't eat what I have in my food diary.

I posted it earlier, Hope it brings a smile your way. I want to see who can keep up with Henry. Everyone dance!

Have you tried Toppik?

Edited by Healthy_life

4 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Hydration - Why?

I have difficulty swallowing Water, Kitty, and can't get 64oz in if I had to drink from a cup. I have to use a straw. For some reason I can get more down throughout the day this way (80oz). When I could guzzle, it was easier, but since that is off the table for now...😒

The more I drink, the thirstier I become and crave water. If I have a few days of low intake, then I don't crave water. My doctor says we need a minimum of 48oz of water for bodily functions, but there are so many people who don't even come close and they are still alive. Perhaps chronic dehydration contributes to other health issues down the road? Instead of paying for it today, Wimpy pays on Tuesday?!?

5 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Hydration - Why?

When I move in we will fix this...😂

Edited by GreenTealael

3 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Drinking 100 oz sounds like some kind of torture for me. Unless it was beer pre-WLS! :lol:

Would your cardiologist be okay with you consuming more fluids if you wore compression socks/legging?

If I wear compression socks, I get a big Fluid buildup just above the sock. So instead of my ankles swelling, it's my calves or my knees. If I wear the hose, they cut off the circulation to my legs since I have a sit-down job all day. So, I'd rather deal with the swelling, to be honest. Circulation is one of those things where my family got genetically screwed.

I drink A LOT, when I get less I feel the difference , in fact I can tell because my wrists are smaller, measurably.

I didn't always drink enough. I had a high stress job that silently required I took very few lavatory breaks, like none, so I mistreated myself. When I left it, I decided to take better care of my body. hydrating greatly improved the luster and elasticity of my skin.

I've been told that I have the softest skin ever, childlike (but not in a creepy way)...

17 hours ago, Healthy_life said:

Yep varied plans maintaining. You know me, I indulge. I have times I carb load. If your in weight loss mode don't eat what I have in my food diary.

I posted it earlier, Hope it brings a smile your way. I want to see who can keep up with Henry. Everyone dance!

bahahahahaha! You're doing this as part of your workout routine to turn flat a*s to a bootilicious kardashian bum, right? :D You know this is an evil earworm, right? :D

And I'm gonna go to Sally or Ulta today to look at Toppik! Woootttt! I got my hair cut and demi-perm color just to get a feel for whether I need to go full topper! Woot!!!

19 hours ago, sillykitty said:

Hydration - Why?

Ok, sorry I couldn't get here to post. Hate posting from my phone and was out all day yesterday. Gah!

So I don't know what to say to you hon? I do know some peeps with kidney and cardio issues survive on much less than the 48oz our surgeons tell us is the "dead" minimum for us. I think at the end my dad had like a 1000ml limit per day? Or something like that?

What I do know is that as we age, we have a tendency not to fully hydrate and we also lose our thirst mechanism. So many old peeps are chronically dehydrated. That causes ALL kinds of health issues especially as it pertains to vitamins/mins/electrolytes. :(

I also know that when we make ourselves drink, we wake up our thirst. Don't know why or how it happens. I can easily forget to drink. But when I do, I'm much, much, hungrier. I also think that it makes swallowing for me harder? Can't substantiate that though. I can now gulp water--if it's roomish temp. But if it's cold, then I have to slowly sip cuz it goes down in big "rocks" or lumps. And I can drink warm water/tea/coffee all day at very hot temps and I just want more and more. Probably the most of my liquid or at least 50/50 is in hot liquids. Cups of hot stuff. :D

The only thing that concerns me about only having 20oz per day, is that humans get as much as 80% of their "water" from foods. And as bariatrics, we're not eating that much! :) :( So we have to realize that our Fluid consumption has to be thought of independently.

What does your doc say about the amount you drink? Great that you have wonderful labs, but also know you're early days for lab crap to really show its ugly face. That can take as long as a couple of years of more? Maybe you're just "special" ;) We know you are, princess! Queen of Cardio! :D 🦄

Welcome to all you lovely peeps!!!! Wooohooooooo!!!! So glad you're here with us all!!!!

Hugs and love all around!!! So what are we talking bout today? :D