Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I have zevia sugar free soda?

Can I have zevia sugar free root beer soda, if I let the carbonation go flat? As far as I can tell there is no sugar or bad substitutes that would be harmful.

Unlike some of the ice creams I’ve seen suggested it doesn’t have sugar alcohols in it that I can see anyways.
I was told to watch their intake with gastric bypass by my surgery team.

I know carbonation is bad.

So do any of you drink sugar free drinks like Coke Zero or zevia once in awhile - as long as it goes flat or at least sits a bit to lose some carbonation. I miss the taste of the stuff and the bubbles too. But I’d settle for a few sips as a treat. Just don’t want to hurt myself or
Stretch pouch.

Also - please don’t guess on this. I’ve looked in my paperwork and didn’t see a solid answer. So if someone has this info in one of their packets and can share or something. I’d appreciate it.

No post op packet (that I know of) is going to say enjoy carbonated beverages. There are standards that are decided across the board and that is one of them. Ask your team for the real reason why carbonation is out for a better understanding and you can decide how to move forward.

There is a stevia or natural another sugar substitute that is root beer flavored. You can add it to plain Water.

Safe Journey 🎈

Dude.

You. MUST. Rein in. Your Desire. And get right with the Lord.

You JUST posted about wanting to hurl after any time you eat/drink. Right now is NOT the time to give into cravings.

So what if you "want something different than water". Right now? Don't jack with yourself. Just find one source of liquids that works for you. If it's Water and unsweetened decaff iced tea? Done!!! DONE!!!!

The reason I say this? Cuz you will have a LIFETIME to have variety. Right now in the early days? It's not about satisfying an itch or urge. It's about doing the smallest thing to get the job done. We don't have to like it. We just have to power through this time, heal, and do the right things. I SWEAR that this time will pass so damn quickly. Before too long you'll look back and say, "Wow! That sucked! But it's over and now I wish drinking this danged ol' flat sf root beer didn't taste so good! I'm drinking a meeeeelion of these a day! Wish they still made me dump!"

Don't squander this time. The motto I lived by:

image.png.fc415d0805df361f4dfea3cd956b310e.png

@greentealale thanks.
I’ll look for that. It’s more about flavor. And if it’s Water. I’m ok. I’ll check that out.

That’s why I was wanting to make it flat. Root beer or Ginger ale. Like the person above said. Was because I wanted a change. But didn’t want it to be bad for my gut or pouch.

Specifically root beer used to help me settle my stomach. And I saw zevia had one that was vegan. sugar free. Etc. and thought flattening it may help. Perhaps the water flavor version may Do. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, BRYCE86 said:

@greentealale thanks.
I’ll look for that. It’s more about flavor. And if it’s Water. I’m ok. I’ll check that out.

That’s why I was wanting to make it flat. Root beer or Ginger ale. Like the person above said. Was because I wanted a change. But didn’t want it to be bad for my gut or pouch.

Specifically root beer used to help me settle my stomach. And I saw zevia had one that was vegan. sugar free. Etc. and thought flattening it may help. Perhaps the Water flavor version may Do. Thanks.

Screenshot_2018-12-05-08-31-25.png

Screenshot_2018-12-05-08-39-21.png

Screenshot_2018-12-05-08-38-50.png

Thank you. I just ordered the last one on there cause it said no sugar alcohols. And saw they had orange breath mints too. That were the same. That I’m gonna get for my apron at work. Cause I always worry about my breath. Thank you so much. This sounds like a great fit. Fixes a craving why staying on track. They also have a ginger ale one I found. With actual ginger extract. So it might help the stomach. Without the soda and sugar. Thank you. I can’t say that enough.

@BRYCE86since I have the same surgical team as you I referred to my surgical nutrition manual. On page 14 right above where it says in capital letters "NEVER DRINK CARBONATED beverages AGAIN!" it says sip sugar free, calorie free fluids between meals. I guess if you let your root beer go flat it becomes a sugar free, calorie free beverage! Also, since the next support group meeting is with the dietitian, I'm going to ask that question. I'll let you know her response.

@Lynn I planned to come
To
The meeting this month too. I just need to figure out the date and time.
But that was my thinking. As zevia going flat would be that way. Or flat sparkling Water for the flavor. Etc.

@BRYCE86it is always the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 6pm in the same location as the pre-op info session. Dec 18, this month. I look forward to meeting you.

image.png.c414a9284c1601e408fe3fe2c1680003.png

image.png.558382f499ade248c083176a23dc4709.png

These are often in my Walgreens or CVS. Or you can order from Amazon. Just pour them into bottles of Water and shake them--flat flavored water.

I would pass on all sodas (flat or bubbly) as they contain phosphoric acid, which impairs magnesium absorption. Gastric bypass patients are already at risk of magnesium deficiency due to rearranged intestines so don’t make that risk more likely.

Gosh thanks Marina 👧, I'm already at risk of Mg depletion,was even. before my BYPASS so definitely will remember this advice, even if I get tempted. Way back in the past, soda pop used to be the only thing that would cut the thick pre- dehydration throat mucus, I would drink reg ginger ale, sprite, or similar, haven't had colas since 1975 when I developed all those allergies carrying baby #2, delivered him but my constitution never recovered from the sensitivities.