Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2019 Sleevers

For all those about to get their sleeves done, good luck! The first couple days had me almost regretting everything and thinking that being fat was not so bad after all 🙈 But that was just the pain talking, because I wasn't prepared for how bad it would be the first 48 hours. I'm now on Day 5 post-op and no pain at all, except when I laugh/cough/sneeze, and even that feels like sore muscle pain, not post-operative pain. Overall in five days there's a huge difference in how I feel about things, you just need to get through those rough first days.

My new challenge is the boredom of the liquid diet, because as other forum posts have mentioned, it seems like I'm hungry most of the time now. But I'll be honest, there's almost something empowering in that feeling, because prior to the sleeve I would eat before I even got hungry; eating had become almost an automated system and not a hunger-triggered one. So I'm leaning into the hunger now and just plodding along with my boring liquid diet. I've lost 9.5 lbs in the 5 days since the op, and I'm curious about the rate that I'll continue to lose at once I'm back to eating solids.

Again, good luck all Feb sleevers and know that the worst is over in just a matter of days!

Thanks for the info. With prior surgeries and injuries day 3 has typically been the worst. I asked my dietitian and surgeon about being hungry - they both said, because they remove the fundus which produces ghrelin, (the hormone that tells the brain you are hungry) that I won't feel hunger like I did prior to surgery. Is the hunger the same or lessened? Thanks for sharing. Congrats! You are capable and kickin ass.

Edited by Bariatricmermicorn
Autocorrect misspelled

14 hours ago, twocoulters said:

My surgery is tomorrow morning. I have to arrive at 8:30am.

Keep us updated. You got this!

14 hours ago, twocoulters said:

My surgery is tomorrow morning. I have to arrive at 8:30am.

Sending you positive vibes. Keep us updated. 🧜🦄

6 hours ago, Sarah_Marsy said:

I'm up in the afternoon. 12pm arrival time

You got this. Keep us posted. 🧜🦄

5 hours ago, itssbrit said:

Good luck to you all. I need to be in by 10am EST.

Keep us posted. Thinking of you. 🧜🦄

1 minute ago, Bariatricmermicorn said:

Thanks for the info. With prior surgeries and injuries day 3 has typically been the worst. I asked my dietitian and surgeon about being hungry and they both said because they remove the fundus which orders ghrelin the hormone that tells the brain you are hungry that I won't feel hunger like I did prior to surgery. Is the hunger the same or lessened? Thanks for sharing. Congrats! You are capable and kickin ass.

I had absolutely zero hunger for the first 3.5 days, and I was astonished by the posts of people who said they felt hungry. I was like, but how?! Then hunger slowly started creeping in, I think the night of day 3 I started having a random hunger pain here or there, but nothing too noticeable. Day 4 hunger increased a little more, and by Day 5 I'm morosely drinking my liquids as much as I can and wishing it was anything else lol. It's all good though, I read that once I get on the soft food phase you're satiated so much more than with liquids. Hope all goes smoothly on your end!

How are my early Feb sleevers? I had VSG on Feb 4th, feeling pretty good today. Still have incision pain, but if I wear an abdominal binder during the day it seems to help. I'm doing pretty good getting liquids in, I just get pain when I take too big of sips........still learning [emoji4]
I didn't exepct to feel hungry though! I'm hungry all day long! And not head hunger, because I actually feel hungry enough to eat a vegetable LOL I have one more week of being on liquids until i can move to pureed foods, i can't wait [emoji4] My stomach has been making some really interesting sounds though. My kids can hear it across the room [emoji4]
Hope everyone is doing good!!

Congratulations! My stomach has been doing the same thing. My surgery was 2/7/19. I feel a little better every day, but could do without the bad has.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 1/27/2019 at 5:19 AM, WLH said:

Just got my date 2/26!!

Going through bouts of excitement, then nervousness! Good luck to all!

We are surgery twins. IMG_20190209_221014_136.thumb.jpg.6dd2c2a4706993bd60bf9157dccc9cda.jpg

On 2/2/2019 at 6:17 PM, Newme2019!! said:

I have fibromyalgia really bad and on Tuesday last week was told no more diclofenac or Ibuprofen..... been in severe pain since... only Tylenol! I am not certain i can stand the pain! Even though I only have 8 days left til surgery! Prayers for pain relief! 🙏🏻😭

I'm curious how you manged those 8 days. I have to be off for 10 days prior and 2-3 months after. I've got fibro, chronic Migraines, trigmenial neuralgia as far as Chronic Pain conditions. I take celebrex 2 times daily. My surgeon says my primary and neurologist will need to come up with an adequate pain plan, but without NSAIDS and no opiates things will get rough. What's working for you? I'm so nervous.