Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey DC area friends. Does anyone have a support group they like it the DC area (meaning DC or close in suburbs)? I had my surgery at Virginia Hospital Center, but I HATE the support group there. Everyone just talks loudly over each other and it is super chaotic. I went a couple times before surgery and it stressed me out so much that I was nauseated afterwards - which I REALLY don't want post-surgery. I understand the need for support groups after surgery, particularly this soon after surgery. I just don't want to go to one that stresses me out this much. If anyone has one they like, do you mind sharing?

Thanks!

Hey DC area friends. Does anyone have a support group they like it the DC area (meaning DC or close in suburbs)? I had my surgery at Virginia Hospital Center, but I HATE the support group there. Everyone just talks loudly over each other and it is super chaotic. I went a couple times before surgery and it stressed me out so much that I was nauseated afterwards - which I REALLY don't want post-surgery. I understand the need for support groups after surgery, particularly this soon after surgery. I just don't want to go to one that stresses me out this much. If anyone has one they like, do you mind sharing?
Thanks!

I go to one in chesapeake and they also have one in Newport news. Not up by DC but it's just once a month. The nutritionist chooses the topic and we let her take over and then people can input comments or she'll ask people to share if they'd like. Very calm and collected. Once or twice a year there's something called open forum where there's no topic planned, it's more free for all with sharing. But we've had personal trainers come in, a plastic surgeon and they'll also have samples everynow and then! Dm me if you're interested!

Thanks. I'm not a huge fan of driving. If I don't find something up here, maybe I'll check it out.

And if that fails you the Maryland suburbs have them a- plenty. Was a lady poster who bragged of hers in either Montgomery or the next county up. Not sure if she is still monitoring but if so, she'll probably state where.

Does Washington hospital center have anything? Im in Maryland and my surgery will be in annapolis. My last surgery was at inova fair oaks

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm sure there are numerous ones in the Delmarva area; let's hope you find one perfect for YOU.

13 hours ago, beautiful12no said:

Does Washington hospital center have anything? Im in Maryland and my surgery will be in annapolis. My last surgery was at inova fair oaks

Thanks. I'll check. But for now, my other weight loss clinic (National Center for Weight and Wellness) just started a bariatric surgery support group with their two psychologists who specialize in weight/bariatric surgery issues. It starts next week, so I'm going to check that out. The downside is that there's a fee. The upside is that I really like my therapist (who is one of the leaders) and trust this practice a lot. Plus, it'll likely be a smaller group.

I'm in Silver Spring and will be having my bypass surgery at Sibley Memorial Hospital in February 2019. I believe they have a support group, and I would definitely like to participate. I would like to know about other DC area support groups that have worked for people. Perhaps we could organize a monthly informal meetup?

Update: I went for a consultation this week and learned that Sibley holds monthly support group meetings for sleeve and bypass patients. They are encouraging me to attend the next one before my surgery at the end of February.

Update: I went for a consultation this week and learned that Sibley holds monthly support group meetings for sleeve and bypass patients. They are encouraging me to attend the next one before my surgery at the end of February.
Check it out. Im in southern Maryland. I have to find our what is near me. My surgery is Monday, the 21st. I should check on support now.

Medstar St. Mary’s has a support meeting the second Saturday of the month at 10 that’s really active. Medstar Southern Md has their meeting the first Monday of the month at 7 in Brandywine.

2 minutes ago, DouglastoGregory said:

Medstar St. Mary’s has a support meeting the second Saturday of the month at 10 that’s really active. Medstar Southern Md has their meeting the first Monday of the month at 7 in Brandywine.

Thanks. Those are both pretty far away from DC and I'm not a huge fan of driving.