Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I still eat Halo Top?

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the Soft food phase of my post op diet (I was sleeved on October 18th). Before surgery, I did enjoy Halo Top Ice Cream. My question is: At what point can I have some Halo Top? (If at all). Would it be considered a “soft food” or should I just wait until I’m on solids?

Can you and should you are separate questions. It would probably go down fine, but whether you want to spend your precious room in your new stomach on halo top is another thing altogether. My nutritionist preferred I go with sugar free popsicles.

1 hour ago, audaciousmarie said:

it’s ok to turn down food

A very difficult concept for me pre WLS but post WLS it's not only ok it's a necessity if you want to maintain your weight loss AND your new found good health.

You can have it but as it has already been stated it is something that you should hold off on. I know that sugar was one of my worst things. Halo top is low cal and high Protein but it also contains too much sugar for this phase of your journey. If it isn't on any of the paperwork that your Dr gave you then stay far far away. I know that I stayed away from sugar for quite some time and I think that the results I have had speak for themselves. I do eat cake and pie from time to time, even had halloween candy. But I can tell you that I am in control vs my sugar cravings being in control. Hold off as long as you can, the resetting that happens in your brain and metabolism are completely worth it. Prior to surgery I was not in control, and could not stay away from sugar, if I smelled or saw something I loved like doughnuts I couldn't walk away, now I can say its not worth it and keep walking!

Arctic Zero would be a better choice, probably. Less sugar. A little Protein. ... Actually, a really disappointing amount of protein, since I remember trying one well before surgery, and it just tasted like frozen Protein Shake to me. ☹️

17 hours ago, audaciousmarie said:

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the Soft food phase of my post op diet (I was sleeved on October 18th). Before surgery, I did enjoy Halo Top Ice Cream. My question is: At what point can I have some Halo Top? (If at all). Would it be considered a “soft food” or should I just wait until I’m on solids?

I wouldn't. But only because of the amount of sugar alcohols. It could play havoc with your still healing anatomy. That said, I eat them all the time, just make sure to clear the calorie count with your daily maximums and you'll be fine.

10 hours ago, CrankyMagpie said:

Arctic Zero would be a better choice, probably. Less sugar. A little Protein. ... Actually, a really disappointing amount of Protein, since I remember trying one well before surgery, and it just tasted like frozen Protein Shake to me. ☹️

Arctic Zero isn't any better than halo top for sugars, they both have the same amount. But Halo Top wins out on ingredients, sugar isn't in the top 3 for halo top, but it is for arctic zero. Halo Top also has more protein than Arctic Zero. Overall, the 2 of them are pretty evenly matched. Halo Top wins out slightly for higher protein and not having sugar in the first 3 ingredients. Halo Top is creamier and more like ice cream than Arctic Zero because of the fact that Halo Tops uses milk, Arctic Zero uses Water. Arctic Zero wins out in the amount of flavors available though. Either way, these 2 are miles better than regular ice creams.

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/halo-top-vs-arctic-zero-which-healthy-ice-cream-is-better