Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Pre-surgery - doctor required

Hello all....

THis is my first post but I have been lurking and reading for weeks. My insurance doesn't have any requirements for weight checks or weight loss....but my doctor requires 5%. I have been STRUGGLING for the past month and half losing and gaining the same 6 pounds. I have to lose about 10 lbs total now before Dec 13th....any advice. This is the last step for me to get a date and I am really starting to want to give up. I am following around a 1400 calorie plan most days and not drinking any alcohol and at least 100ounces of Water a day, sometimes more. I have a lot of excess weight to lose, so it's not that I only have a few pounds to lose..... SHort of dropping my calories to around 800 a day (which I know works), I am not sure how else I will lose this weight in two week.

Do the preop diet.. All liquid and some of it being Protein Shakes. I was down 20 pounds in the two weeks I had to do the pre op diet before surgery.

This is what I was thinking of doing. I am just looking online at different "plans" to follow ...I have been drinking Protein Shakes anyway, so why not add in some broths and another shake. I have one work luncheon and my son's birthday before weigh in but if I just eat a sensible meal at each that shouldn't derail me.

Thanks for the reply!

Do a cleanse with mag 7, ballerina tea, or any other cleanse you like to use that should shed at least 5 or more pounds. Then I did about 500 -1000 calories a day (fresh smoothies help) and did hitt cardio wrapped up for 5 of the days. Also Water fasted the last day and a half. This helped me drop 14 in a little less than 2 weeks

I’ve been on the liquid diet for my preop and have lost 6 lbs in 5 days. Something that help before my surgery was approved was my doctor put me on adipex. It kills your appetite and makes you feel amazing

Be careful those kind of things can be hard. I had a meeting yesterday and they bought amazing smelling Mexican food as a thank you for our hard work that I had to smell while drinking my liquid diet and trying to focus. And today is my son’s birthday. I may cry when I pick up the pizzas and have to drive home w them in the car.

I am going to give the pre op diet a try. Maybe a modification here and there. I took an Rx to lose weight years ago. Worked great. Lost a ton ...but felt like trash basically day to day because of side effects. I just need to win the battle with my brain right now :)

@kjuno pizza would be too hard for me so I feel your pain. It’s the one thing I really have a hard time resisting. I freakin love pizza 😢

and my work luncheon- I requested a few healthier things that I know I can have and not feel like I went off the deep end. As long as it’s during the day and there is no wine around, I am fine. I am trying to cold turkey quit red wine since I know it’s a huge no no post op.

That’s how cigarettes were I smoked for 18 yrs. I did need the help of Chantix but passed the blood test.

Like someone else said... do the pre-op diet. 1 low sugar Protein Shake for Breakfast. 1 low sugar Protein shake for lunch. 6oz of lean meat or fish with 1.5 cups of green veggies (think broccoli, Brussels sprouts, spinach, etc) for dinner.< br />
The pounds will melt off, but yes, hard to stick to this diet long-term. Just think about how badly you want this and let that help you stay committed.

So the dr office just called me...they are submitting to insurance today. I still go next week for a weight check, but since it's not insurance required I guess they are not going to wait- all of the other requirements have been met. So fingers crossed that I get approved and get a date soon. Hoping for a January date. I am still working on losing weight....it's going okay so far.....pushing Protein and fluids!