Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some exercise advise

I had my sleeve done on the 6th of November so in 2 weeks i will be cleared for exercise i thought i had it figured out what i was gonna do but the closer it gets the more uneasy i feel about it..do I just do cardio for a while? do I go straight into weight lifting? Do i just do body weight exercise? im just asking if anyone has and guidance they would like to share about getting started...I am a tall guy so that play a part into my routine I am 6'7. I am looking to get stronger and healthier get into better shape as a person. anything helps.

Starting out, You will find where your fitness level/ability is. No one expects you to run a marathon or lift seriously heavy. You will get stronger and have the ability to do more over time.

Start slow while you are healing. How long and how far can you walk starting out? Are you released to weight lift?

Cardio - (walking, bike , treadmill, swimming, zumba,elliptical, etc) - increase the intensity, speed or resistance as you get stronger.

Lifting - find your strength ability starting point. How much can you lift?

Find a plan. Research online for a home gym workouts, exercise videos, Join a gym or hire a trainer.

Ignore that this video below says exercise to begin 3 to 6 months out. Follow your Doctor's instructions/plan

https://www.obesityaction.org/community/article-library/weight-loss-surgery-and-fitness-the-dos-and-donts-for-a-successful-exercise-program/

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Edited by skinnylife

4 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

Starting out, You will find where your fitness level/ability is. No one expects you to run a marathon or lift seriously heavy. You will get stronger and have the ability to do more over time.

Start slow while you are healing. How long and how far can you walk starting out? Are you released to weight lift?

Cardio - (walking, bike , treadmill, swimming, zumba,elliptical, etc) - increase the intensity, speed or resistance as you get stronger.

Lifting - find your strength ability starting point. How much can you lift?

Find a plan. Research online for a home gym/exercise. Join a gym or hire a trainer.

Ignore that this video below says exercise ban begin 3 to 6 months out. Follow your Doctor's instructions/plan

https://www.obesityaction.org/community/article-library/weight-loss-surgery-and-fitness-the-dos-and-donts-for-a-successful-exercise-program/

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

yes i will be fully release in 2 weeks for all exercise including weight training...as far as how far can i walk my job dose require alot of walking so just walking never really been a issue for me i could walk 2 miles before surgery and be just fine i am walking upwards of 5 miles in a day right now i get upwards of 10,000 steps in a day.....

You said "i thought i had it figured out what i was gonna do but the closer it gets the more uneasy i feel about it"

Walking 5 miles 10,000 steps and released to lift is great. You already know where your starting fitness level is. All that's left is developing your plan and put it into action. Mix your cardio with a lifting plan. People will post what their workouts look like. You can also research and develop your own.

here are a few more links that are plan specific.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/workout-plans

https://www.bodybuilding.com/category/training

https://www.bodybuilding.com/category/health-and-lifestyle

https://www.bodybuilding.com/category/workouts

Edited by skinnylife

5 hours ago, KentuckySteve said:

I had my sleeve done on the 6th of November so in 2 weeks i will be cleared for exercise i thought i had it figured out what i was gonna do but the closer it gets the more uneasy i feel about it..do I just do cardio for a while? do I go straight into weight lifting? Do i just do body weight exercise? im just asking if anyone has and guidance they would like to share about getting started...I am a tall guy so that play a part into my routine I am 6'7. I am looking to get stronger and healthier get into better shape as a person. anything helps.

I began working out again after about 5 weeks as per my doctor. He still wants me to wait about two more weeks to do any abdominals. This week I started spin classes, which I love, and burns a crazy amount of calories. If you workout in a gym, can you ask for some guidance? If you can afford it, it’s worth hiring a trainer for a few sessions to teach you technique and how to get the best out of your workout. I hope that helps and good luck!

I can't recommend weight lifting enough. Check out my progress thread below. I haven't updated in a while, but was planning to after next week when I finish up my current plan before I start the next 6 week plan.

On 11/30/2018 at 20:47, BlueCrush said:

I can't recommend weight lifting enough. Check out my progress thread below. I haven't updated in a while, but was planning to after next week when I finish up my current plan before I start the next 6 week plan.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/418762-is-it-possible-to-build-muscle-after-the-sleeve-im-about-to-find-out/

Yes I have been following your progress and I definitely wanna weight lift I just don’t know if I need to lose my weight first or lift while I lose my weight and what routine I need to do

Lift WHILE you're losing weight. As far as routine, it doesn't matter as much as you think. Just get started. Check out bodybuilding.com forums and check out the beginner workout routines ont he sticky threads. Any of them will work to get started!

On 11/30/2018 at 10:58 PM, BlueCrush said:

Lift WHILE you're losing weight. As far as routine, it doesn't matter as much as you think. Just get started. Check out bodybuilding.com forums and check out the beginner workout routines ont he sticky threads. Any of them will work to get started!

thanks for the advise seems like every routine i look at as squats and i know squats is a major and important lift but im not even able to do bodyweight squats cant get low enough with out holding on to something. so it kinda makes me wont to avoid squats all together but i know i need squats ..also and im overthinking everything lol...should i do a core workout for a few weeks 1st?

Edited by KentuckySteve