Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keto Diet with weight loss surgery - What are your thoughts about it?

I get really confused about this. I understand that being in ketosis means you are burning fat for fuel, but isn't the bottom line calories in, calories out? I am in ketosis by default now because I am early out and just can't eat much of anything, so even with no real attempt to avoid carbs, I have very few grams of them. If someone ate 500 calories of carbs or 500 calories of Protein and fat, wouldn't they lose with both?

Keto Diet with weight loss surgery - What are your thoughts about it?

My thoughts about this are:

"Why do so many patients seem to feel the need to go on special restrictive diets after having WLS? Aside from allergies, intolerances or ethical reasons - why make a diet more restrictive than it has to be? Especially when thinking about that neither going "keto" nor "low carb" nor "low fat" solved our weight problems."

Edited by summerset

1 hour ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

If someone ate 500 calories of carbs or 500 calories of Protein and fat, wouldn't they lose with both?

Of course they would. They're eating only 500 kcal a day.

If you don’t have a gallbladder Keto is not for you.... try high Protein low carb instead

"Why do so many patients seem to feel the need to go on special restrictive diets after having WLS? Aside from allergies, intolerances or ethical reasons - why make a diet more restrictive than it has to be? Especially when thinking about that neither going "keto" nor "low carb" nor "low fat" solved our weight problems."

For me, it's trying to be the most efficient with my bypass tool that I can be. I don't want to eat the way the way I ate before surgery because that got me to 153 kilos. All of a sudden I'm not haunted by a demon that drives me to stuff my face with carbs and fat. It's fantastic! With that demon banished, for the first time in my life I can make seriously good decisions about putting healthy food in my body but it's a new learning curve and creating my own list of Rules about how I eat now is a process.

I'm not obsessive about it, but I think I'm very sensitive to carbs so following some Keto guidelines makes sense to me. For others it might be something different.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Go back to basics and back to original diet go back thru the stages

Regarding doing restrictive dieting after WLS. It's important to note that WLS is just a tool and really only works the first year or 2. The rest is up to you and in fact, if you don't find some restrictive way of eating, or at least eating based on the plan they provide, you will gain weight back. You could potentially gain a LOT of weight back. Really really easily. Scarily easily. So, while the idea of Keto, etc. make me nervous, at the very least, it is keeping you aware of what you are eating or should be eating and that is a good thing.

14 minutes ago, ummyasmin said:

For me, it's trying to be the most efficient with my bypass tool that I can be. I don't want to eat the way the way I ate before surgery because that got me to 153 kilos. All of a sudden I'm not haunted by a demon that drives me to stuff my face with carbs and fat. It's fantastic! With that demon banished, for the first time in my life I can make seriously good decisions about putting healthy food in my body but it's a new learning curve and creating my own list of Rules about how I eat now is a process.

I'm not obsessive about it, but I think I'm very sensitive to carbs so following some Keto guidelines makes sense to me. For others it might be something different.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

^^^^This. 10000%^^^^

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:04 AM, Princessjenrn said:

If you don’t have a gallbladder Keto is not for you.... try high Protein low carb instead

not necessarily- I have no gallbladder and eat 95-110g fat daily, my husband has none and eats 150g fat daily. no problems at all for us once we were fat adapted.

Is your fat gram percentage above 30%?

I’ve been doing Keto for three months and lost 25 pounds scheduled for the sleeve in February not sure if I’m gonna go through with it if I can just stay keto it seems to work well also I have a lap band for 11 years and had it removed October 1 so I have lost this weight right after removal of the lap band

My opinion is it is unnecessary. I’d limit sugar and starches but I’d never cut carbs the way Keto diets demand. There is nothing wrong with piles of carrots, peas, asparagus, salad, etc...

The important thing is to get plenty of Protein and limit your calories. I eat vegetables every single day but I also never eat over 2200 calories and I make sure I get 180+ protein.

How about treating myself while on Keto diet with diet pepsi or diet rootbeer. Have always drank it before with sleeve. I see mixed reviews, all say "legally" it passes because it has no sugar, 50% say they do it, 50% say they feel the sugar substitute will confuse system MAYBE taking you out of keto temporarily...

Any knowledge on this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

How about treating myself while on Keto diet with diet pepsi or diet rootbeer. Have always drank it before with sleeve. I see mixed reviews, all say "legally" it passes because it has no sugar, 50% say they do it, 50% say they feel the sugar substitute will confuse system MAYBE taking you out of keto temporarily...

Any knowledge on this?

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Found this when i googled it so it seems once in a while won't hurt but dont make it a habit https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/can-you-drink-diet-soda-on-the-keto-diet-the-real-question-is-if-you-should/ar-BBKx7lr

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

All I know is that when I did Keto I was so thirsty all the time I just couldn’t drink enough Water. I wouldn’t do it again just because of the extreme thirst. That, and I don’t ever want to have to restrict the amount of vegetables that I eat.