Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keto Diet with weight loss surgery - What are your thoughts about it?

1 hour ago, FluffyChix said:

No it really isn't "super high fat" in the original derivation. Atkins in his original derivation had food plans that averaged between 55-75% fat. That's a "skewed" percentage cuz whenever you take 1 macro down, the others go up. It didn't equate to gobs of fat like today's modern "Dave Asprey" world where you add butter to coffee, live on fat bombs, etc. The modern LCHF which is now just called "Keto" is a minimum of 70-75% fat. So yeah, much much higher fat.

And agreed it. It's only ever been "protein adequate" and can be very low carb, but can also go as high as 50-70g of carb whole, non-netted. I can eat 50g of carb with most coming from low glycemic veg and leafy veg and I will still be in ketosis all the live long day. Swearsies!!!

Also, I think the definition or experience of Keto differs greatly based on surgery type and amount of bypass (how much of the intestine that handles fat and sugar was actually re-routed). With VSG, you have no malabsorptive problem. So you can handle the extra fat very efficiently.

I swear. I've studied this for about 18 years and read almost every book on the subject from the leaders in the fields.

Congrats on losing your regain and doing so well!!!!

Thank you for clarifying for the newer folks here! I am so used to a very specific macro mix. Our family has been dealing with nutritional ketosis (having used this approach to manage our daughter's epilepsy ) for the past 15 years, THANKFULLY working with the Johns Hopkins Neuro/Ketosis clinic. It's all so auto-pilot for me now because of her, but I've only focused on it for myself for the last year or so. yes it has changed somewhat for us, but most of the macro approach has been the same with our experience since about 2005.

20 hours ago, ummyasmin said:

Do you eat yoghurt? My hubs does Keto (he's not a bariatric patient tho) and I'm thinking of moving more that way but I love me some 0% fat yogurt for Breakfast. I dunno if i can give up my lovely yoghurt.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Real, serious for realsies keto you can't have yogurt (or pretty much any dairy except heavy cream and cheese). BUT, it's *really* only about the carbs at the end of the day. So if you can eat the yogurt and still be within the carb restriction, you should still see results. Just make sure the yogurt isn't too sugary because that will kick you out of ketosis.

22 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Plus they're feeling pretty great and looking good and they want to get back to livin life. And they get hungrier!!! And many add in alcohol too.

I feel like you're talking about me :P

There's also a difference between a Keto diet where you get into ketosis and a KETOGENIC diet, which specifically stresses high fat. A keto diet really only requires low-carb, but does have higher fat by its nature. A ketogenic diet... you literally add butter to your broth and stuff like that to purposely make it fattier. With Atkins, you aren't SUPPOSED to shovel bacon into your maw, but you do eat higher fats than a "regular" diet because you're supposed to eat more "good fats". Atkins is not a ketogenic diet; not supposed to be anyways. You're not really aiming for high fat.

Edited by mousecat88

Also, can I mention how I hate the "new" Atkins. I followed the "old" Atkins last year and it was so tricky because everything "keto" labels net carbs. I don't give af about NET carbs... I want to know the total carbs! Even the new Atkins bars are too high in carbs for the OG Atkins. The Total Carb Elitists like myself.

Edited by mousecat88

22 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I wonder if I am in ketosis currently given that I've only been eating Proteins primarily.

Ketosis is just when you are burning fat for energy. You could eat one candy bar a day and be in ketosis, if that's all you ate. You are most certainly in ketosis considering you've lost 30 lbs in 6 week.

22 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I wonder if I am in ketosis currently given that I've only been eating Proteins primarily.

Ketosis is just when you are burning fat for energy. You could eat one candy bar a day and be in ketosis, if that's all you ate. You are most certainly in ketosis considering you've lost 30 lbs in 6 week.

1 minute ago, sillykitty said:

I was on Atkins for quite some time last year and those friggin OTC ketone sticks NEVER showed me being in ketosis. But I was losing weight. That's why I am wondering what the deal is.

1 minute ago, mousecat88 said:

I was on Atkins for quite some time last year and those friggin OTC ketone sticks NEVER showed me being in ketosis. But I was losing weight. That's why I am wondering what the deal is.

Yeah, good reason not to waste your money on the sticks. :D

So, TMI, but I smell different "down there" when I am in ketosis. Not bad, just different. :blush:

Just now, sillykitty said:

Yeah, good reason not to waste your money on the sticks. :D

So, TMI, but I smell different "down there" when I am in ketosis. Not bad, just different. :blush:

Actually, I am really glad you mentioned that because I have noticed something... different... down there, too. Not bad, either. I also do have that... breath some days. THAT breath. Yum. It'd be nice if those sticks worked... I'm curious to keep track.

Sticks measure the wrong type of ketone.

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Sticks measure the wrong type of ketone.

I dunnooo. I just ordered something off Amazon that alleged dieters were saying they were using. *shrug* Are there any OTC products that properly identify your "status"?

Real, serious for realsies Keto you can't have yogurt (or pretty much any dairy except heavy cream and cheese). BUT, it's *really* only about the carbs at the end of the day. So if you can eat the yogurt and still be within the carb restriction, you should still see results. Just make sure the yogurt isn't too sugary because that will kick you out of ketosis.
I've just had a look at the sugar and it's not hugely bad. 6 grams. But then I looked at Fage 0% and it's only 3grams, so Imma try that one.

I dunnooo. I just ordered something off Amazon that alleged dieters were saying they were using. *shrug* Are there any OTC products that properly identify your "status"?
You can buy a blood ketone monitor (it's like a blood glucose monitor for diabetics). It's a little pricier but you can probably get a cheap one off Amazon or Ebay.