Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keto Diet with weight loss surgery - What are your thoughts about it?

Hey guys I had my surgery in 2013 5 years out I've gained back about 20 lbs from my lowest weight (210 to 230). I know I have to eat better and thinking about starting this diet for the new year. Have you tried it? Did you like it? Did you not?

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Perhaps as a precursor, clean out your diet completely. That may be enough to get the ball rolling and ease the transition into Keto.

Keto is strict but manageable if you really want to do it. Initially, many people feel withdrawl and flu like symptoms, so be prepared for that. Other than the excess/higher fat consumption and lower Protein intake, its strikingly similar to the diet directly after WLS.

You can do it! Cheering you on!

Edited by GreenTealael

I'm in the same boat. Had surgery early 2014 and have now gained a bit of it back and I need to get back on track. Let me know what you try and how it works!! I just can't get my head straight again.

I don't call myself "keto" although I am not only by virtue of low carb dieting, but also cuz of low calorie diet. I'm in dietary ketosis (aka producing ketones and using ketones/fat for fuel).

I have issues with the high fat of the current Keto model, so I do a more moderate fat diet. My numbers are more: 30% P, 55% F, 15% C (or for 850cals I get: 64g Protein; 52g Fat; 32g Carbs (total, which nets to around 20g from veg etc).

It sure works for me. I also IF to further reduce insulin resistance and assist with fat loss and autophagy.

I was on a strict Keto diet last year and lost a lot of weight (60lbs in 5 months). But keto is big on fats, and fats aren't so awesome for RNY patients. I am obviously a "newbie" post-op... but I was told to stay lowfat/nonfat/lean meats forever. I don't know if a keto diet would work the same with low fat? But I guess if it doesn't upset your stomach than it would be fine.

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

I was on a strict Keto diet last year and lost a lot of weight (60lbs in 5 months). But keto is big on fats, and fats aren't so awesome for RNY patients. I am obviously a "newbie" post-op... but I was told to stay lowfat/nonfat/lean meats forever. I don't know if a keto diet would work the same with low fat? But I guess if it doesn't upset your stomach than it would be fine.

Yes it would. You would actually be doing something more like the Dukan diet which is low-er fat/low carb. It's still keto. All keto ever meant was that you were in a state of fat burning (dietary ketosis). You can get to DK through severe calorie restriction or carb restriction. :) In todays Mad-Mad world, people have adulterated the LCHF (Low Carb High Fat diet) and appropriated the "keto" term into the "modern keto diet" which is filled with craptastic amounts of fat. I think people only need that amount of fat when they are not morbidly obese with broken metabolisms...and who also have a humongous energy expenditure (athletes). But that's just my opinion. I know I've got ACRES of fat strapped to my ass and thighs still to use for my fats and ketone production--no need to add it in by excessive dietary fat consumption. I'm still ketogenic and burning ketones for fuel.

The thing to know is that our diet is not a 2000 cal diet. So by limiting one macro, it's gonna make the other macros look oddly high, when in reality we're only satisfying our body's needs (ie Protein %--no matter how much fat we lose, we still will need "basically" the similar amount of protein to nourish our lbm...).

So keto for me these days is like this right now:

About 700 cals daily

40% Protein (70g protein)

15% Carbs (26g whole carbs that will net down from Fiber to the teens)

45% Fat (35g healthy fats which come from evoo spray, tiny bits of butter or evoo, avocado, nuts/seeds, reduced fat nut butters, reduced fat dairy, whole eggs, fats present in lean meats/seafood/shellfish/poultry).

I feel great, my thyroid function has actually improved and I am unmistakably in DK--so I'm ketogenic.

Oh and I have no nausea from this diet. But if I eat a high fat food, I will feel like I want to die within about 30 minutes to an hour later.

Edited by FluffyChix

Realistically, it seems like the long-term WLS diet IS essentially Keto. With the exception of the addition of some dairy that is not allowed in keto diets (like milks and yogurts and certain fruit). I wonder if I am in ketosis currently given that I've only been eating Proteins primarily. Those OTC ketone sticks... I have no idea how accurate they really are.

Edited by mousecat88

1 minute ago, mousecat88 said:

Realistically, it seems like the long-term WLS diet IS essentially Keto. With the exception of the addition of some dairy that is not allowed in keto diets (like milks and yogurts and certain fruit). I wonder if I am in ketosis currently given that I've only been eating Proteins primarily. Those OTC ketone sticks... I have no idea how accurate they really are.

Well that depends entirely on the individual, the doctor/clinic, and so many other things. Don't forget, by the time you are 10 months out quite a good % of WLS peeps can eat "almost" as much as they could pre-op--and if not in actual amount, they have the knowledge to "game the system/surgery" to eat around their surgery and do serious damage to weight loss momentum. Plus they're feeling pretty great and looking good and they want to get back to livin life. And they get hungrier!!! And many add in alcohol too. It all makes continued weight loss/maintenance not so cut and dried. Oh and then there are those who start working out and getting fit and that adds new demands that adds variables to the equation...

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Well that depends entirely on the individual, the doctor/clinic, and so many other things. Don't forget, by the time you are 10 months out quite a good % of WLS peeps can eat "almost" as much as they could pre-op--and if not in actual amount, they have the knowledge to "game the system/surgery" to eat around their surgery and do serious damage to weight loss momentum. Plus they're feeling pretty great and looking good and they want to get back to livin life. And they get hungrier!!! And many add in alcohol too. It all makes continued weight loss/maintenance not so cut and dried. Oh and then there are those who start working out and getting fit and that adds new demands that adds variables to the equation...

I feel pretty lucky because I found a Keto diet very easy to stick to. So, even long-term, I feel like I will be successful. I find my current bland puree easy to stick to, even. I just need to make sure I continue to keep my cravings themselves in check, which has been great thus far. But, as far as getting hungrier, I am down for eating meat meat meat! Lean meat, that is. :)

1 minute ago, mousecat88 said:

I feel pretty lucky because I found a Keto diet very easy to stick to. So, even long-term, I feel like I will be successful. I find my current bland puree easy to stick to, even. I just need to make sure I continue to keep my cravings themselves in check, which has been great thus far. But, as far as getting hungrier, I am down for eating meat meat meat! Lean meat, that is. :)

I'm the same way. Total agreement. We've been LC (I don't even refer to it as keto) for so dang long, it's just the way we eat. And I love our lean Protein and veg and a tiny bit of fruit/nuts/seeds. Mr. F. feels the same way! The more meat I let myself eat, the hungrier I get btw. For me, meat is insulinogenic and can wake up my hunger. So I'm better off if I just bargain with my bad self to eat only my 3oz portion and shut up about it! :D

There's so many options now for keto... like cauliflower tots. Mmmm. lol! They have cauliflower friggin' everything now. Which is no substitute for the beloved potato, but it's doable. And sugar craving? A teaspoon of Peanut Butter and I'm good.

Ketosis by definition is pretty much HIGH fat, MOD Protein and VERY LOW carbs. It goes against much what we are told as bariatric patients. That said...

YES I LOVE KETO!!! I have been strict Keto for over a year and maintain these daily macros: 85% fat, 5% carb and protein takes care of itself. Keto can be a little tricky if you 'dump' from fat- it takes a little while for your system to adjust- but once you're there, it's great.

I had a 40 lb regain from my lowest and used Keto to lose the regain successfully in about 6 months time. I am 4.5 years post VSG and did the whole 'bariatric' type low carb, low fat thing for the first year. I have found that for the regain, Keto worked really awesome and my body LOVES being in ketosis. I have boundless energy, seriously clear brain function, etc. There are SO MANY metabolic benefits that can be researched in the NIH database.

You will get mixed reviews, but for someone who is longterm post op, it is a great option. I'm all about following your surgeon's guidelines during loss phase, but after a couple years most of us are 'done' with our surgeons. Keto is such an awesome tool to use along with bariatric surgery.

Feel free to PM if you have questions!

7 minutes ago, mi75 said:

Ketosis by definition is pretty much HIGH fat, MOD Protein and VERY LOW carbs. It goes against much what we are told as bariatric patients. That said... 

No it really isn't "super high fat" in the original derivation. Atkins in his original derivation had food plans that averaged between 55-75% fat. That's a "skewed" percentage cuz whenever you take 1 macro down, the others go up. It didn't equate to gobs of fat like today's modern "Dave Asprey" world where you add butter to coffee, live on fat bombs, etc. The modern LCHF which is now just called "Keto" is a minimum of 70-75% fat. So yeah, much much higher fat.

And agreed it. It's only ever been "protein adequate" and can be very low carb, but can also go as high as 50-70g of carb whole, non-netted. I can eat 50g of carb with most coming from low glycemic veg and leafy veg and I will still be in ketosis all the live long day. Swearsies!!!

Also, I think the definition or experience of Keto differs greatly based on surgery type and amount of bypass (how much of the intestine that handles fat and sugar was actually re-routed). With VSG, you have no malabsorptive problem. So you can handle the extra fat very efficiently.

I swear. I've studied this for about 18 years and read almost every book on the subject from the leaders in the fields.

Congrats on losing your regain and doing so well!!!!

Edited by FluffyChix

And I love our lean Protein and veg and a tiny bit of fruit/nuts/seeds. Mr. F. feels the same way!

Do you eat yoghurt? My hubs does Keto (he's not a bariatric patient tho) and I'm thinking of moving more that way but I love me some 0% fat yogurt for Breakfast. I dunno if i can give up my lovely yoghurt.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

This is the yoghurt I get. 100gms with a little SF Syrup and it is SO nom! https://glenisk.com/products/natural-0-fat-greek-protein-yogurt

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app