Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

(VSG) To those who were successful..

Meaning those who reached goal weight and/or are maintaining.

What did you do for food? What's a sample of your diet like today? Did you do low-carb or follow everything in moderation? What were your portions like ~3 months out, 6 months out, 1 year..etc?

What about exercise, when did you start it (if you did), and what kind did you do?

Honestly I just want a good look at what some successful people have done, and the similarities between them. I have this fear that I'm eating too much (portion wise) already, and I'm only 2.5 months out. I haven't gotten sick but I feel like the quantity I can eat is more than others, and I seem to eat until "full". Trying to work on that along with reducing carbs. Any shared experiences would be great!

Try eating by strict portion sizes (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 cup; 1 oz, 2oz, 4oz) instead of until full.

Double check with your team to see exactly where they want you to be.

Everyones plan varies depending on the team they went with, so it's hard to give specifics that will work for others

Safe Journey!

Post deleted

Edited by HokieMan98
Made a mustache with quoting

39 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Try eating by strict portion sizes (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 cup; 1 oz, 2oz, 4oz) instead of until full.

Everyones plan varies depending on the team they went with, so it's hard to give specifics that will work for others

Safe Journey!

Thanks for this note Green. I was just reflecting on the number of people who are obsessed with the quantity of food. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people ask, "when will I ever be able to eat a regular size plate of food? "

It really baffles me, and I was quite confused until I met with the dietician. She said the most long-term successful person she's seen carries a 1/4 cup measurrle everywhere, and uses it to gauge all of her food.

I would like to know something similar to this. Specifically has anyone lost all their excess weight in a period of no more than two years and maintained all that excess lost for at least 5 years. I want to lose ALL my excess fat weight - I should be under 140 lbs based on my height, and I'm currently about 289 lbs. This is not negotiable. I'm fully aware that exercise, food choices, and Portion Control are essential, with (or without) the surgery. Losing all excess fat weight of about 150 lbs in a two year time-span is not at all unreasonable.

2 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Safe Journey!

This is such great advice!

Especially since I don't have as much restriction...I could get up to severe shenanigans if I didn't weigh and measure everything! Even though I CAN eat more, doesn't mean I have given myself permission TO eat more. :) Nope, I still try to stick as close to my doc's and RD's plan for me.

1 hour ago, DLV said:

I would like to know something similar to this. Specifically has anyone lost all their excess weight in a period of no more than two years and maintained all that excess lost for at least 5 years. I want to lose ALL my excess fat weight - I should be under 140 lbs based on my height, and I'm currently about 289 lbs. This is not negotiable. I'm fully aware that exercise, food choices, and Portion Control are essential, with (or without) the surgery. Losing all excess fat weight of about 150 lbs in a two year time-span is not at all unreasonable.

Those statistical questions are best directed towards your surgeon.

I'm 2+ years out. I've lost 95% of my excess weight. I have not had plastics - which would account for that last 5%. I eat a high Protein, low carb diet and exercise 7 days a week. I eat roughly 1500 calories a day. I exercise at least 1 hour each day. A typical day is:

Morning - coffee - black, greek yogurt (Skyr Icelandic provisions), 2 tablespoons of granola

Mid morning - Protein Shake (1 cup fairlife skim milk, 1 scoop protein, handful frozen fruit in blender)

lunch - 3-5 ounces of chicken/turkey/beef, 2 cups of green salad mix, 1 tablespoon balsamic dressing

mid afternoon - 2-3 ounces cheddar or other hard cheese

dinner - 3-5 ounces meat, salad or green veg and 1/4 c of a starch.

I have had to increase my carbs to about 110 g daily due to my exercise load. I fence (en garde) 6-8 hours a week, do Cross Fit 3 hours a week and pilates and strength training another 1-3 hours a week. I eat about 110 g protein daily. I eat protein first. I drink close to a gallon of Water a day.

If I want a glass of wine or a cocktail, I have one. At my high point, I was over 300. I now sit around 152 with 29% bodyfat. I can deadlift 250 pounds and squat 235. I'm nationally ranked as a fencer in my age group.

How well you do it up to you and your commitment to it. I've gone from a size 24 to a size 6.

7 hours ago, Kaitloss said:

Meaning those who reached goal weight and/or are maintaining.

What did you do for food? What's a sample of your diet like today? Did you do low-carb or follow everything in moderation? What were your portions like ~3 months out, 6 months out, 1 year..etc?

What about exercise, when did you start it (if you did), and what kind did you do?

Honestly I just want a good look at what some successful people have done, and the similarities between them. I have this fear that I'm eating too much (portion wise) already, and I'm only 2.5 months out. I haven't gotten sick but I feel like the quantity I can eat is more than others, and I seem to eat until "full". Trying to work on that along with reducing carbs. Any shared experiences would be great!

Success can be many things. We all have our own goals and walk with surgery. My advice is to follow your plan. Repeat until this lifestyle becomes habit and feels normal. Be your own amazing. The first few months is your best surgery restriction and weight loss. Take advantage of it. As you progress out you will notice that your restriction is less and weight loss slows down. Keep your food within your calories and macros even when your surgery restriction becomes less.

Comparing weight loss stats will make you crazy. Habits and behavior changes will make a difference in your weightloss outcome and long term success.

My surgery was June of 2014 - HW 254 - SW 234 - GW 140 in six months. I maintain in the 130's I had a sixteen pound gain in my third year. I worked it back to my maintenance weight.

What did you do for food?

Nothing magic. I followed my plan. logged my food, stayed hydrated, and exercised to goal.

What's a sample of your diet like today?

Maintaining weight looks different for each of us. What works for me and my choices may not work for anyone else.

Did you do low-carb or follow everything in moderation?

You will make choices that will affect your long term weight loss success. I am carb sensitive pre surgery and post surgery. Low carb works well with my body physiology. I eat things in moderation now that I'm in maintenance mode. Everything moderation in weight loss mode depends on the person. For me, It's a slippery slope. Sugars carbs can slow/stop my weight loss.

What were your portions like ~3 months out, 6 months out, 1 year..etc?

Portions and calorie intake will increase with time. Keep things within your calories and macros to stay in weight loss mode. My maintenance does not look like others. I would hate for anyone in weight loss mode read my food log and think they are going to lose weight. My diet changes during racing season. (carb loading) When I choose to indulge and gain, I go back into weight loss mode to keep my weight in range.

Started the day after surgery walking. Helps with the healing process. Your surgeon's office will give you a release to exercise more. Give them a call. I walked, did elliptical a bit of lifting for the majority of my weight loss. My choice to become athletic after weight loss is not for everyone. I lift and distance run. I'm a bad @ss grandma. *laughing*

unnamed.jpg

Edited by skinnylife

I had my surgery eight years ago in January. It really is an individual thing--my stomach seems to be quite sensitive and what other sleevers could eat early on I could not. I watched a woman who had surgery a month before me consume an entire sandwich for lunch. At the time, she would have been about six months postop and me, five. I couldn't have eaten a sandwich any more than I could have flown to the moon. For one thing, bready things feel terrible in my stomach--they did then, and they do now, so no cake, doughnuts, bread, croissants, etc for me. I handle toasted or crispy things slightly better, but the amount must be small. As for what I eat in a day--I have coffee with Splenda and 2 Tbsp of half and half for Breakfast. Sometimes, but not very often, I might have one of those Oui yogurts. Lunch is a slice of cheese, 2 oz of meat, and four Triscuits. I have a mid-afternoon snack of nuts or maybe a cookie. For dinner I have a stirfry of veggies and shrimp, or a beef steak with mushrooms and tomatoes, or a Lean Cuisine dinner if I don't want to cook. I hike and ski, but I have always found it easier to lose by cutting calories than by exercise. Exercise is to keep me strong and functional. It's easy to graze all day long and the weight can easily pile back on. I added seven pounds last year purely from Starbucks and "treating" myself to dessert (Usually a piece of chocolate) after lunch and dinner. After I cut that out, the seven pounds went away and now I'm back in my comfort zone. I weigh myself once a week, and if there is a gain two weeks in a row I cut out Starbucks and sweets. I eat anything I want, but the quantities are small; a half-cup of anything is a good-sized serving for me, and I've learned that my eyes can be way bigger than my stomach, so weighing or measuring my food is a good thing. If I'm out, at a friend's house or a buffet, I take a quarter of what my mind tells me to, because a plateful of little dabs of things will probably be just right. If not, I can go back for seconds, or more salad or something. Really, for me it was about finding more interesting things to do than those related to food. I can eat so little, it's not worth my while to make elaborate recipes any more. I do bake quite a lot, which is funny because I don't eat cakes and such, but my neighbors, friends, and co-workers love me.

Don't force anything, do what works for you, be patient, be kind to yourself. We all spent years and years beating ourselves up for being fat, please don't do the same thing trying to be thin. Surgery works better for some people than others, and no one knows why. Best wishes to you.

Thank you for the motivational reads this morning!

This is still so inspirational! Thanks to everyone for sharing!