Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 1/2 years old - new health challenges ... ugh.

OMGOSH everyone!!!

Thank you for the overwhelming response .... It makes me feel SO MUCH better that I'm not alone ( which I knew, I just needed to hear it ... well read it ) .... I am SO glad I found my way back here to ask questions and get advice.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU again SO much sincerely ... I now have new things to toss out there to my doctor and see what plans we can make ...

Thank you again everyone!!!! xoxox

23 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

The original poster was commenting and asking for help regarding hypoglycemia that is not related to being diabetic.

But Kim it can be in some cases...right? Mostly though the RH is from a dumping rx post surgery...yes?

The original poster was commenting and asking for help regarding hypoglycemia that is not related to being diabetic.
Noone can diagnose anyone else but if its not standard issue post-surgery dumping then it can be a precursor to diabetes. It's essentially disregulation of the insulin response. The thing with the time (years?) leading up to type 2 diabetes is that the insulin "key" to unlock the cells to store the sugar stops working as effectively (doesn't fit the "lock") so the body pumps out more and more insulin (leading to hyperinsulinemia) to try and cope. With so much insulin in the blood stream you later get a blood sugar drop that causes hypoglycemia.

It may not be diabetes, please God, but following the basic diabetes diet principles (which are very similar to most peeps' WLS guidelines) can only help.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

@MrsKarenC2008

I'm glad you came back to the site. I wish you the best and I hope you pop in more.

Just found this this article. Hypoglycemia and reactive hypoglycemia.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-answers/reactive-hypoglycemia/faq-20057778

I'm not sure what category I fit in *laughing at myself*

My low blood sugars don't make sense to me or my Dr. Fasting or food, My low blood sugars have no pattern. At 140 pounds and year out from surgery, my pancreas started functioning but not correctly. Dr said its a RH is complication from surgery but it's also a blessing to know my pancreas is working.

19 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

But Kim it can be in some cases...right? Mostly though the RH is from a dumping rx post surgery...yes?

All I can say is this. In my experience, working in the hospital, undiagnosed type 2 diabetic patients are often diagnosed with high blood sugar (greater than 600 many times) or a high A1C.

In most cases a type 2 diabetic with low blood sugar is hypoglycemic due to insulin or other medication.

I was not diagnosing the OP.

All I can say is that this is what I have experienced working as a registered nurse. I don’t see a lot of undiagnosed diabetic patients with low sugar it’s normally the opposite with the accompanying symptoms that prompts hospital visit. In MY experience.

Please don’t take this as a negative response, but it sounds like your choice to not willingly eat carbs or sugar, even in healthy options, might benefit from maybe a couple of counseling sessions. I’d start with a nutritionist.

And if anyone is needing a meter to check their blood sugar with that the test strips will not break the bank with, Walmart has the Rely On brand which is their brand for only $15 and the strips are only $9 for 50. They are not covered by insurance however they are still the most affordable of all of the meters and strips.

I would use glucose gel or a type of candy or juice that you don't really like. If I had low blood sugar and had some Gummy bears or Starburst to bring it up I would crave more and eat more. I am a surgery infant, not a veteran but I am already developing a fear of even tasting certain things because I'm afraid it will set me off, you know? My NUT told me I could have mashed potatoes, which I like, but I couldn't bring myself to eat it because ˆ was afraid.