Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Headache and migraines

Alternate between hot & cold Water on your head in the shower.

Or hot and cold on the back of your neck using a hot rice bag & an ice pack.

4 minutes ago, toodlerue said:

Alternate between hot & cold Water on your head in the shower.

Or hot and cold on the back of your neck using a hot rice bag & an ice pack.

This 100%! This works for me almost every time I have a Migraine. For me, it works best if I use super hot Water and super cold water. It's also kind of draining so I can usually sleep after, which also helps me get rid of a migraine.

Acupuncture if I can get an appt.
I also have a rescue medication specific for Migraines.< br /> Cold works better for me, then hot.
Dark room and sleep

6 hours ago, TheMarine79 said:

If tylenol does not work. What is other things you can take

External "rub on" medications work. Also, watch that Water intake... headaches are a warning sign of dehydration.

I hope you feel better.

Have not had the surgery yet. I just know the only thing that works for headaches and Migraines is motrin and ibuprofen. Trying to get ahead of this now and find a replacement

If you have a neurologist, talk to him/her. I get debilitating Migraines and if I don't take a preventative med, I would get them daily. Mine was able to prescribe the new once a month injectible prevention med (Aimovig) and get me a coupon so that it's free. He was also able to get me my other prevention med (Depakote) in liquid form. For acute migraines, I'm not able to take triptans, anything with caffeine, or NSAIDs, so he gave me a few pills of a narcotic pain reliever in case I got one of my brain buster migraines. Luckily the Aimovig is working like a charm, so I haven't needed to take the narcotics. If they work for you, I think you'd be able to take the triptan drugs after surgery, but check with your surgeon.

There are minerals like magnesium oxide that are used as preventatives. I have also found that essential oils diffused like lavender will help decrease the severity and/or frankincense rubbed on the temples, forehead, and neck help as well. As others have stated I also use ice on my neck and head. There are a variety of meds used to prevent and just as many to control the pain. My acute Migraine pain reliever has caffeine and a narcotic and there is a Sprix spray that has been effective in keeping me out of the hospital. Unfortunately, even with all of this I finally succumbed to Botox injections in my head and neck. I finally have fewer debilitating Migraines and they are not as prolonged. Find an awesome neurologist to help you get the right combination of meds. I heard that losing weight can decrease migraines so I am excited about that as a side benefit!

Edited by Anjo

On 11/28/2018 at 4:28 PM, TheMarine79 said:

Have not had the surgery yet. I just know the only thing that works for headaches and Migraines is motrin and ibuprofen. Trying to get ahead of this now and find a replacement

Honestly, see a neurologist and explain the situation that you won't be able to take NSAIDs. There's a ton of Migraine meds out there. Even something that you take as-needed, like Imitrex. Gabapentin also works.