Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is gastric bypass surgery reversible at all??

I felt exactly like you for the first two months. I had zero energy. I was off work for six weeks bc I couldn’t stay awake for more than 3 hours at a time. I threw up everything. I told my husband repeatedly it was the biggest mistake ever.

Fast forward and I’m nine months post op and it was the best thing I ever did. Those first two months were a bear for me to figure out. I felt sick all the time and was sad all the time. But I followed my doctor’s plan to the best of my ability, I found a rhythm, I figured out what worked for me. And today I have more energy than I ever imagined possible.

It seems impossible when you’re in the middle of those first months, but it gets so much better as your body and brain adjusts to the change.

On 12/06/2018 at 22:25, kimbers18 said:

I felt exactly like you for the first two months. I had zero energy. I was off work for six weeks bc I couldn’t stay awake for more than 3 hours at a time. I threw up everything. I told my husband repeatedly it was the biggest mistake ever.

Fast forward and I’m nine months post op and it was the best thing I ever did. Those first two months were a bear for me to figure out. I felt sick all the time and was sad all the time. But I followed my doctor’s plan to the best of my ability, I found a rhythm, I figured out what worked for me. And today I have more energy than I ever imagined possible.

It seems impossible when you’re in the middle of those first months, but it gets so much better as your body and brain adjusts to the change.

Well I think I am more adjusted now if I can call it that way I don’t know, feels like there was not enough job done prior to operation but it’s been done now so have to deal with it... now I am still in hospital and already whole team of people working with me and endocrinologist and psychotherapist and nutritionist... I don’t know exactly why she put me on liquid diet now that I am already so far from my op but I am doing all that they say but still weak and still shaking as my potassium level constantly drops i didn’t had CD before op but they say it is possible that it will come now... I don’t know my thyroid and high BP all is being sorted now so I am just waiting patiently... thank you for encouragement xx

malnutrition is rare if you keep on top of your supplements. You have to take supplements with the sleeve as well. And most RNY'ers don't dump. For those who do, it's easy controlled by limiting your sugar intake (which you should be doing regardless).
feeling tired and weak is pretty common after major surgery - especially after weight loss surgery because you're taking in so few calories the first few weeks. You may have felt the same way for the first month or two had you had the sleeve instead. Just focus on getting in all your Protein and keep well hydrated. Both help.
lastly, "buyer's remorse" is common.. I remember wondering that first month what on Earth I did to myself - but soon I started feeling a lot better and had more energy, and now I'm really grateful that I had it done. So just give it some more time...
Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough reply and sharing your experience. It's very encouraging to those of us not having had the procedure yet.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using BariatricPal mobile app

I am in hospital now with internal bleeding again... it’s just nightmare
So sorry. How are you now?

Your body needs to HEAL. The last thing it needs now is the trauma of another surgery. The risks of that would be incredibly high.
In the meantime I would be asking if there was a psychologist that you could be referred to. Speaking to a professional experienced in these matters could be a tremendous help
Excellent suggestion!

Well I think I am more adjusted now if I can call it that way I don’t know, feels like there was not enough job done prior to operation but it’s been done now so have to deal with it... now I am still in hospital and already whole team of people working with me and endocrinologist and psychotherapist and nutritionist... I don’t know exactly why she put me on liquid diet now that I am already so far from my op but I am doing all that they say but still weak and still shaking as my potassium level constantly drops i didn’t had CD before op but they say it is possible that it will come now... I don’t know my thyroid and high BP all is being sorted now so I am just waiting patiently... thank you for encouragement xx
I hope you get in track soon. Keep us posted.

Hi all again I don’t know wether I shall start new topic with all my updates or what, but here we go... out of hospital after 3 weeks. Now weaker than ever. But they explained it in very strange for me anyway manner... it seems like they ignoring operation with all the dumpings or so... after each food I feel arrhythmia between 90-140 and it doesn’t matter wether I am lying down or standing or sitting, then my stomach rumbles, i can get hot flushes and sweating, then I will go to the toilet, somtimes i will feel sleepy... witch would bet typical dumping syndrome without pain and without vomiting.... but sometimes like now i woke up at 4 am and i feel shakes again witch is probably from my hypokalemia and I am taking potassium with ffood and ferments and omeprazol and bp tablets. But for me explanation in hospital was after they have checked everything and didn’t find anything bad and did not find where i was bleeding from they say I have Cushing syndrome after test that eats my muscles and potassium as my cortisol is 1500 and now I am waiting for MRI brain scan to find tumor and once it is removed if they find it all those symptoms should be gone? So I am confused wether I am dumping ever time I eat wether it is to do with this syndrome 😖

if it's Cushings syndrome, it's probably not related to your weight loss surgery. You get that when your cortisol level is high (as you know...) - I think it's most common after you've been taking cortisone medications.. It may be a coincidence that this is happening after your surgery. But I don't know...keep us posted, though.

As Gung Ho as my PCP is about prescribing Prednisone, I am surprised nobody else has Dx me with this. Still believe when I was on this steroid therapy it caused me to go from 110 to 175 and started me on the downhill spiral towards OBESITY, saddest facet was I was only 15 years old, too young to legally refuse and Family Doctor stated " Aleta- this will fix her right up!" and now 58-59 years later I am reaping the whirlwind, of what Doctor and Mama thought was a healthy intervention. Should I cry😭😥?
Be 😠 angry, or merely accept they did what THEY THOUGHT was a healthy safe intervention?👈😕👉

On 11/27/2018 at 18:24, iPixie said:

I am a bit over month after gastric bypass surgery... and feeling so much down now... I feel like I’ve done biggest mistake in my life by choosing this op.. Instead I should just had a sleeve or just cut half of it off so there wouldn’t be any malnutrition or dumpings... coz now I lost 24k within a month.. I feel so weak I don’t know how to get back to work as I feel too weak even to get upstairs... I am so depressed that it is even impossible to explain... any comments on that???
Sorry you are having a rough time. It’s odd because I had the sleeve and I wish I had gotten bypass. The grass is always greener I suppose.

That could be why we, like many animals, might want to jump the fence. Maybe that lovely patch of green in the next pasture might be just What We Want!

I am surprised how patient i am to be perfectly honest... i am just going wherever they take me and say... i had my op in private clearly wasn’t prepared now have to deal with all consequences will see the outcome

I hope you do get some answers as it sounds awful. Cushings is something that causes lots or weight gain so if this is the issue it’s a pity they didn’t test and rule it out prior to surgery as then you may not have required the WLS as well. Are you still bleeding or has that resolved?

Cushing's can be caused by taking corticosteroids or from a pituitary tumor. Either or, it would be unrelated to the surgery. I was on prednisone for 6 weeks and developed that very common buffalo hump fatty deposit on my neck that is associated with Cushing's (but I didn't actually have it yet). I had that removed surgically. So many of your symptoms are associated with Cushing's. Hypertension, muscle loss and weakness, tiredness. Once you get that straightened out you will feel SO much better! I have had dumping-like symptoms on foods that should not cause dumping (like strained cream soups). I don't think it's "officially" dumping because it's not the sugar or fat, but some things do not sit right and I get the shakes, etc. Trial and error.

On 12/19/2018 at 05:40, catwoman7 said:

if it's Cushings syndrome, it's probably not related to your weight loss surgery. You get that when your cortisol level is high (as you know...) - I think it's most common after you've been taking cortisone medications.. It may be a coincidence that this is happening after your surgery. But I don't know...keep us posted, though.

It might be not or it might be yes from shock and stress I didn’t know about it before I only took lthyroxin but apparently my cortisol was 820 before op and it raised up to 1500 after so now they’ve done tests with them meds and said that i have it. They checked every where except head mri which is planned on 10th of January and if they will find tumour they will sort that out then as they say my potassium level should stay :) and I should regain my strength