Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is gastric bypass surgery reversible at all??

I am a bit over month after gastric bypass surgery... and feeling so much down now... I feel like I’ve done biggest mistake in my life by choosing this op.. Instead I should just had a sleeve or just cut half of it off so there wouldn’t be any malnutrition or dumpings... coz now I lost 24k within a month.. I feel so weak I don’t know how to get back to work as I feel too weak even to get upstairs... I am so depressed that it is even impossible to explain... any comments on that???

Yes Gastric Bypass is reversible, a lot harder operation than the original one. The only person I know of on Bariatric pal, her pen name is @ Ronnysgal, she went through a bypass revision .

It is reversible but usually only in extreme circumstances.

It is unlikely they will consider a reversal at one month post op.

Are you eating? Are you a woman still menstruating? Are you taking your Vitamins? Are you getting your fluids in?

It is common to feel tired for a time after surgery. It gets better.

If you are frequently dumping what are you eating?

malnutrition is rare if you keep on top of your supplements. You have to take supplements with the sleeve as well. And most RNY'ers don't dump. For those who do, it's easy controlled by limiting your sugar intake (which you should be doing regardless).

feeling tired and weak is pretty common after major surgery - especially after weight loss surgery because you're taking in so few calories the first few weeks. You may have felt the same way for the first month or two had you had the sleeve instead. Just focus on getting in all your Protein and keep well hydrated. Both help.

lastly, "buyer's remorse" is common.. I remember wondering that first month what on Earth I did to myself - but soon I started feeling a lot better and had more energy, and now I'm really grateful that I had it done. So just give it some more time...

Sorry to hear you are struggling, hopefully whatever the issue is is sorted out quickly.

Having regret after such a huge life changing surgery is common, especially in the beginning. That doesn’t mean it would get reversed , that is only done in very rare circumstances. Had you had a sleeve you could just as easily feel the same way you do now. Early regret is not restricted to RNY patients

Yes, possible, but this is really going through my head now... sleeve possibly would be much better, now I just saw my surgeon he said chances are always here... so hopefully he didn’t just said it... I don’t know... but really I am too nacked to do anything... too much weight lost at the time... I can’t come back to my usual life... I am too weak... ny knees are shaking, allergic reaction all over my body and face... I want to have quality live not the one now where I have to think how to get out of bed or drunk drop of Water ciz I am thirsty to the end but If I will I can’t put anything in to my mouth for another half an hour... I don’t know is it just depression but...

Your body needs to HEAL. The last thing it needs now is the trauma of another surgery. The risks of that would be incredibly high.

In the meantime I would be asking if there was a psychologist that you could be referred to. Speaking to a professional experienced in these matters could be a tremendous help

Noone promised me anything tomorrow... they’ve just done endoscopy... all good in top bit, everything healed fine... they keeping me in the hospital and will do something tomorrow to see where am I bleeding again from... as far as they concerned it is not the top bit... but honestly if in a years time or so I can reverse this... I definitely will... if I survive obviously... coz at the moment I don’t feel like it

I have been reading some of your other posts. It appears from what you have posted that even though you are from the UK you have not had your surgery there you have had it somewhere in Europe. Also from what you have posted it doesn't seem that you have had a consultation with a professional dietician, that in itself is a worry as is the fact that you don't seem to be having the Protein Shakes that most programs require.

How much preparation was there for you prior to the surgery? What consults did you have? It seems like there may have been steps missing and if so then I'm not surprised you are feeling the way you are atm.

On 11/28/2018 at 10:58, elcee said:

I have been reading some of your other posts. It appears from what you have posted that even though you are from the UK you have not had your surgery there you have had it somewhere in Europe. Also from what you have posted it doesn't seem that you have had a consultation with a professional dietician, that in itself is a worry as is the fact that you don't seem to be having the Protein Shakes that most programs require.

How much preparation was there for you prior to the surgery? What consults did you have? It seems like there may have been steps missing and if so then I'm not surprised you are feeling the way you are atm.

This is exactly how it was “it was my decision on the day” I was struggling with weight and high blood pressure and fertility... so I decided that gastric bypass surgery was my only option paid for surgery and done it on agreed day... now three days later I had internal bleeding with collapses blood pressure was 60/50 and i ended up in hospital and my first food phases extended to three weeks and I was on baby food... from op day to now I lost 24kg and I feel very week... I started eating normal food as I mentioned before sometimes something makes me feel shaky a bit but never anything serious like proper dumping... now I just think if I was to have just sleeve all this could of be avoided... end of story...

9 hours ago, iPixie said:

I am a bit over month after gastric bypass surgery... and feeling so much down now... I feel like I’ve done biggest mistake in my life by choosing this op.. Instead I should just had a sleeve or just cut half of it off so there wouldn’t be any malnutrition or dumpings... coz now I lost 24k within a month.. I feel so weak I don’t know how to get back to work as I feel too weak even to get upstairs... I am so depressed that it is even impossible to explain... any comments on that???

It certainly is reversible. The Sleeve is not. However Bypass reversals do not happen often due to how complicated they are. They are typically only done if there are major issues with a patient. Sleeve folks can get dumping as well... and Bypass folks don't all get dumping. You are still healing. You need to focus on that right now.

For the "weakness" are you following your post-op diet?

What does your daily Water intake look like?
Whats your daily Protein intake look like?
Have you discussed your issues with your PCP / Surgical Team / Nutritionist? If not... Why not?

I'm coming up on 9 months post-op Band to Bypass revision. The first 2 months were tough. I had lots of times when I could have given into the emotions that were running rampant. But, it gets better. You just need to really focus on doing what you are supposed to be doing, consuming what you are supposed to be consuming and working with your doctors. I couldn't be happier with my Bypass now.

I currently have the sleeve and it's not all it's cracked up to be. Getting bypass in the morning.

So @iPixie how are you feeling now. Have the Drs resolved the issues? Do you know what was causing the bleeding? Have you got the nutritional advice and support that you should have been given prior to the op?

When are you going back to the UK. Do you have a support team once there?

On 12/04/2018 at 23:54, elcee said:

So @iPixie how are you feeling now. Have the Drs resolved the issues? Do you know what was causing the bleeding? Have you got the nutritional advice and support that you should have been given prior to the op?

When are you going back to the UK. Do you have a support team once there?

Ok, now some more news I suppose, I don’t know what is happening... bleeding stopped like started it happened twice since surgery, no one nows where from or how... they’ve checked endoscopy from top how much they can reach... all healed fine as they said... then they’ve done another endoscopy with anaesthesia longer route all good there they said as well then they’ve checked my bowel found two little diverticulitis and one pile but they said it’s not major and it doesn’t seems to be reason of bleeding... then they’ve done kt with dye to check rest of my guts... no sighing of bleeding there... anyway this is gone my potassium always gone now and I constantly feel vibrations in my heart and back and basically whole body... they don’t know where it is going and why... all they do is I am getting drip every night with 3/6ml potassium and ringer solution... now dietician sorted out my food... which I wanted but she put me on purées and liquids without any Protein Shakes or anything, as well psychiatrist going to be working with me... today I started my food from what they sorted and shakes go through the body after everything i had... but I don’t know is it to do with potassium or is it to do with food going down to quick... as for colonoscopy I needed to empty my bowels with fortrans i haven’t been to the toilet since monday... but it might be normal? So... yes... I don’t know