Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't recommend BVSA

I wouldn't recommend using Blue Valley Surgical Associates for your surgery. This place has been a nightmare... from lies, fraud and being given the run around! I started the process back in May. I was required to go to 6 nutritional appointments. the last one was completed on 11/5/18. I was led to believe that at that time they would submit my file to insurance and get me a surgery date. 3 days later I logged into my insurance portal to see if I could see the pre-auth and if a decision had been made. There was nothing there. I called United Health to see if maybe it was a fluke or a mistake, it wasn't. Nothing had been submitted by BVSA. United called BVSA to see what the hold up was and they lied to him and told him that I hadn't agreed to a surgery date yet. I called BVSA to see what the heck was going on and the was told that there was a hold up with their new hospital in taking my insurance. I asked why I couldn't go to Overland Park where I was originally scheduled to have surgery and was told they weren't "allowed" to take my insurance. Allowed? What a funny word to use... Why cant the hospital I was referred to bill my insurance. I started googling "Blue Valley Hospital". It turns out they had lost their Medicaid/Medicare certification back in May. Evidently they thought they would win their appeal and was still taking patients with that insurance. When that didn't pan out for them and they were putting off surgeries they went out and purchased a new hospital that was certified for Medicaid/Medicare. But by this time they had patients backed up as far back as May that were supposed to have had surgeries already. I met one of them who had been put off since July, she had no idea it was because they had lost their certification for FRAUD. On November 8th, I left a negative review on BVSA's Facebook page about how they had "dropped the ball" and had been giving patients the run around. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The very next morning I received a phone call from a lady that said she was the compliance officer for the corporate office of Blue Valley Hospital. She promised to make things right and get me a surgery date right away so long as I didn't post anything else about them lying to patients and losing their certification. I told her about my new friend that has been trying to get a surgery date since July. In 15 minutes time she had both of us a surgery date. I was impressed at how quickly it was fixed. All it took was a bad review on their Facebook page. Fast forward to today... I've been on a liquid diet since Thanksgiving to prepare for surgery in 2 more days. BVSA told me when I left my pre-op appointment last week that the hospital would be in touch with me a few days prior to my surgery date. I hadn't heard from them yet and I had questions so I called them. "Anna, who? Are you sure it isn't under a different name?" Ummm. WHAT?!! Turns out I'm not even on the schedule!! After 3 phone calls it still isn't fixed and at this point I am wondering if I have been on this liquid diet for absolutely nothing!! Less than 48 hours from surgery and they dropped the ball AGAIN!!! So, if you have someone ask you, or mention BVSA, tell them to RUN! Run far, far away from BVSA! They will have much better luck with another program!

I wish you the best of luck, I do know that my surgery call did not come more than 24 hours before the surgery date so is it possible that the person answering the phone was looking at the wrong day? I was told they could not give me a time more than 24 hours in advance due to schedules and emergencies and such. Try to be positive and all. Did you check the insurance portal to make sure it was put in and your insurance approved the surgery and the date and all. Maybe there is something missing?

Yes, insurance prior auth was approved on 11/8. Someone screwed up and didn't put me on the schedule and now they have no room to add me. They have cancelled the surgery and have tried to schedule it for 12/5 but the problem is... 1. I scheduled this time off work. The people I babysit for rearranged their lives to accommodate my surgery this week and it is too late to tell them that I need off next week instead. 2. My husband scheduled vacation days for Thursday and Friday this week for my surgery. It's too late to cancel and definitely too late to put in for 2 days next week. 3. I have been on this awful liquid diet for a damn week already!! Grrr!!!

So sorry that this has happened to you! I'm waiting for a surgery date right now and can't imagine how upset you are. I'm in your area and having my surgery done at Saint Luke's. Overall, it's been a good experience. If you decide to switch, I highly recommend them.

The corporate lady just called and my surgery is back on for tomorrow! They added me in at the end of the day so I guess Dr. Joseph is going to work late. Prayers for sanity are much appreciated!!

2 hours ago, AnnaWallace said:

surgery is back on for tomorrow! They added me in at the end of the day

@AnnaWallace

Finally!!!

wow you've been through so much.

hope things will start to go better!!

good luck tomorrow - speedy recovery☺️

kathy

Thanks Kathy!! I'm ready to get on to bigger and better things! This road has been rough!!

So sorry you had to go through this mess. I'm glad to hear about final good outcome. Wish you good luck and painless recovery!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches