Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Paranoid I've already Stretched My Stoma - 3 Weeks Out

Hey, all,

After years and years of putting off surgery, I finally underwent a gastric bypass procedure on November 6 of this year. On one hand, I was pleasantly surprised that I really did not suffer any significant pain or complications, etc. However, since I have been feeling well (and perhaps overly confident), over the past few days, there were a few instances when I inadvertently drank my few Protein Shakes too fast (which were made with a mixed base of Water, skim milk, Isopure, and half a banana (which my NUT has approved), to the point where I felt a tinge of discomfort. Moreover, I admit that I was being rather foolish because I did not really measure the amount of liquid that I put into the blender before downing the shake (I imagine close to about 10 -11 oz?). Too much, I know.

Although I would not say that I was in pain, I am now incredibly worried that I have already messed up my surgery and stretched out my stoma. I have already promised myself that from now on, I will measure everything that I consume, but I am concerned that the damage has been done, so to speak.

Does anyone have any advice (like a pouch reset)? Has anyone experienced something similar? Am I being overly paranoid? :(

Thank you all in advance,
V.V.

6 minutes ago, Vagrant Violet said:

Hey, all,

After years and years of putting off surgery, I finally underwent a gastric bypass procedure on November 6 of this year. On one hand, I was pleasantly surprised that I really did not suffer any significant pain or complications, etc. However, since I have been feeling well (and perhaps overly confident), over the past few days, there were a few instances when I inadvertently drank my few Protein Shakes too fast (which were made with a mixed base of Water, skim milk, Isopure, and half a banana (which my NUT has approved), to the point where I felt a tinge of discomfort. Moreover, I admit that I was being rather foolish because I did not really measure the amount of liquid that I put into the blender before downing the shake (I imagine close to about 10 -11 oz?). Too much, I know.

Although I would not say that I was in pain, I am now incredibly worried that I have already messed up my surgery and stretched out my stoma. I have already promised myself that from now on, I will measure everything that I consume, but I am concerned that the damage has been done, so to speak.

Does anyone have any advice (like a pouch reset)? Has anyone experienced something similar? Am I being overly paranoid? :(

Thank you all in advance,
V.V.

A reset at 3 weeks post op?

You are being a little paranoid.

Try slowing down by drinking according to a timer and amount (e.g. 4oz every 30 mins)

And try to go with the indicators your body gives you. Stop before that too full/overfilled feeling.

Safe Journey!

Just slow it down so you dont feel discomfort. I did that a few times myself and i truly dont think its stretched otherwise we wouldnt feel the discomfort. The discomfort is the liquid in your throat.

22 minutes ago, Vagrant Violet said:

drank my few Protein Shakes too fast - overly paranoid? :(

@Vagrant Violet

welcome newbie

at your early stage - you shouldn't be drinking fast!! but you learned not too, (the hard way)

- but you are good to go now , sure no damage was done.

about one month PO i chewed some meat too fast - i was so scared - "that was it" I totally screwed up. My life is over LOL. I knew that i had to chew better and slower, I knew what to do - but i needed/wanted some reassurance. (like you coming here to the boards) Called my NUT to talk - got the reassurance i needed, and life continued!! was i acting a little paranoid - yeh think LOL - A little paranoia is ok - just don't go crazy and worry too much!! 🤣

You are/and will continue to follow the rules -don't drink fast - i didn't gulp til my NUT gave me the ok!!

good luck

huggggs

kathy