Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for low GI healthy carbs that aren't sliders?

I've been drastically increasing my carbohydrates to put on muscle and lean body mass. I've been eating a ton of oatmeal but unfortunately oatmeal is totally a slider for me.

What are some great healthy carbs that you've been eating that keep you full instead of leaving you starving? And I'm not looking for low carb things, I'm trying to get around 250g of carbs a day in.

Thanks!

@Mhy12784

Sweet potato seems to work for me. My stomach doesn't tolerate brown rice well. A great person to ask is bariatric veteran male lifting legend! @BigViffer

images.jpg

Sweet potato is probably my second favorite carb, though I haven't eaten them much so I don't know how much of a filler/slider they'll be , was thinking about adding them into the mix substantially again. If it works I'll definitely buy them by the truckload.

I'd probably like to avoid Pasta just because it's boring, and I really don't enjoy it post WLS

You have me confused actually, if you are wanting to add lean body mass, carbs aren't the way to do it. Carbs are very important for Protein synthesis, true - but a diet dominated by carbs will not produce muscle mass. You'll need the protein for that.

Oatmeal is my go-to carb personally. Love the stuff. I cannot eat Pasta anymore, it feels like it gets stuck at the top of my stomach even now. Carrots, quinoa, barley, sweet potatoes, real pumpernickel bread, Beans, smoked basmati rice... those are carbs I can think of off the top of my head that I eat on a regular basis. And they don't give me a huge sugar spike that leaves me feeling awful.

Sweet potato is in the mix with my Protein and veggies to keep me more satisfied. My carb intake increases in running season. I lift to retain muscle. Other people here are lifting to build muscle mass.

Speak of the devil and he post's!~BigViffer in the room.

8 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

You have me confused actually, if you are wanting to add lean body mass, carbs aren't the way to do it. Carbs are very important for Protein synthesis, true - but a diet dominated by carbs will not produce muscle mass. You'll need the Protein for that.

oatmeal is my go-to carb personally. Love the stuff. I cannot eat Pasta anymore, it feels like it gets stuck at the top of my stomach even now. Carrots, quinoa, barley, sweet potatoes, real pumpernickel bread, Beans, smoked basmati rice... those are carbs I can think of off the top of my head that I eat on a regular basis. And they don't give me a huge sugar spike that leaves me feeling awful.

Well I'm maxing out my protein daily, so excess is just wasted calories.

120-140 is probably my appropriate upper limit for daily protein (according to most reading I've done) I'm probably getting 160 to 180 most days which is more than 1g/lb of bodyweight.

And I love oats too, which is part of the problem. It just goes right through me and gives me zero satiety. I can eat 600 calories of pure steel cut oatmeal and protein and be starved in 45 minutes.

2 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

Well I'm maxing out my Protein daily, so excess is just wasted calories.

120-140 is probably my appropriate upper limit for daily protein (according to most reading I've done) I'm probably getting 160 to 180 most days which is more than 1g/lb of bodyweight.

And I love oats too, which is part of the problem. It just goes right through me and gives me zero satiety. I can eat 600 calories of pure steel cut oatmeal and protein and be starved in 45 minutes.

Try adding dried or fresh fruit, chia seeds , fats and Fiber (psyllium husk) to the oatmeal.

600 cals is like 1.5 dry cups?

Edited by GreenTealael

10 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Try adding dried or fresh fruit, chia seeds , fats and Fiber (psyllium husk) to the oatmeal.

600 cals is like 1.5 dry cups?

Well the 600 calories is 11 tablespoons of steel cut oats, 2/3rds a cup of Premier Protein and 2 teaspoons of chia seeds. Can eat that up and I'm starving soon after

I definitely can't add more Fiber to my diet, I'm already eating like 60-80g of fiber a day and I'm ready to pop.

Sometimes I'll eat a handful of nuts after so I don't think the added fats will help much

9 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

Well the 600 calories is 11 tablespoons of steel cut oats, 2/3rds a cup of Premier Protein and 2 teaspoons of chia seeds. Can eat that up and I'm starving soon after

I definitely can't add more Fiber to my diet, I'm already eating like 60-80g of fiber a day and I'm ready to pop.

Sometimes I'll eat a handful of nuts after so I don't think the added fats will help much

Visit a local GNC, Vitamin shop, etc to get a recommendation for a (gains or builders) Protein. They will likely recommend something higher in quality than Premier and if it's causing intense hunger oatmeal may just be out for you. If you want to continue with it, try eating yogurt or cottage cheese along side the oatmeal instead of Premier. If that doesn't work you may have to learn to drink away hunger. Or adding low GI vegetables in a salad that is filling for very little cals.

17 hours ago, Mhy12784 said:

Well I'm maxing out my Protein daily, so excess is just wasted calories.

It depends on how much weight lifting you are doing really. If the excess protein is just wasted calories, then the carbs would be as well. Carbs are just for fuel, protein for synthesis and normal body functions. If you are getting enough of each, then your activity level needs to be adjusted. If you are moving too much for your current intake, ease up a little bit. If your activity level is too low and calories too high, more movement will be necessary.

Maybe look into getting your BMR (basal metabolic rate) tested?

40 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

It depends on how much weight lifting you are doing really. If the excess Protein is just wasted calories, then the carbs would be as well. Carbs are just for fuel, protein for synthesis and normal body functions. If you are getting enough of each, then your activity level needs to be adjusted. If you are moving too much for your current intake, ease up a little bit. If your activity level is too low and calories too high, more movement will be necessary.

Maybe look into getting your BMR (basal metabolic rate) tested?

Well my logic was at least with the excess carbs I'd be getting fiber and stored glycogen. Plus it takes a lot more carbs to "max out" than protein. But I agree a waste is a waste

I'm okay with putting on weight as my measurements are stupid (Ie I'm a pants size 30 as a grown man) but I know it would be much more beneficial if I can do it in a slow and controlled fashion

I do not understand what you mean by maxing out. Carbs and Protein are both about 4 calories per gram. In my situation, the excess carbs would drive blood sugars too high. Proteins don't give me that problem, so I would lean more towards them for that reason.

23 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

I do not understand what you mean by maxing out. Carbs and Protein are both about 4 calories per gram. In my situation, the excess carbs would drive blood sugars too high. Proteins don't give me that problem, so I would lean more towards them for that reason.

Well I'm oversimplifying things. But im basically referring to the maximum amount of Protein my body can efficiently utilize (which supposedly is 80% of body weight) or the amount of carbs that would fully replinish glycogen.

I guess maxing out is a silly madeup term by me to say that.

But my understanding is that if you are trying to get in shape and gain strength/muscle/athetlic performance assuming you are hitting that protein number (80% of weight) that you would benefit substantially by consuming a large amount of carbohydrates instead of protein excess of that amount (80% of weight) . As the carbohydrates will give you energy to perform better and longer while recovering greater and quicker, while excess protein is subject to severely diminished returns.

Of course nutrition is riddled with broscience and bullshit with nuggets of truth so I have no idea how true or exaggerated any of that information really is

Edited by Mhy12784