Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Break Fast or Not to Break Fast

That is the question.

Upon close examination of my eating habits, I find that I am more likely to snack and feel head hunger when I eat breakfast within an hour of waking vs. many many hours later. This was true for me pre-op, but my nut and docs were adamant that I include breakfast in my daily diet. I have eaten 1 scrambled egg white, 3oz of turkey sausage coins, and 3oz of caramalized onion/sauteed mushrooms every day since introducing "real" food again. I wake up at 6am and eat no later 7am, even if I'm not feeling hungry. On the very few days I don't have time to make myself breakfast I pack an extra yogurt, head out the door, and forget about food until about 10:30 or 11.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you trust your gut (pun intended) or stick to the doc's orders? I am curious to know if there are long term cons to not eating breakfast within a certain time past waking up.

How about just a Protein Shake in the morning?

I am similar, I have never been a Breakfast eater. And eating breakfast makes me hungrier throughout the day.

But early on, I wouldn't suggest doing any sort of fast. I wouldn't say it's necessary to eat strictly within an hour of waking up, but I wouldn't wait until early lunch time either. I know personally I needed a big eating window in order to get in my Protein.

I am on puree.. I do not eat my breakfast until i finish my cup of Decaf with Protein as creamer.. then i eat my lunch around 1 or so.. and dinner around 6 or 7.. Things will change when i go back to my ballroom dance classes starting dec 20th. I will have to reschedule when i eat, or my classes LOL

If not hungry i don't eat period.

Once i removed the processed carbs from my diet, like we all did those first weeks after surgery, i found i wasn't hungry in the morning anymore.

I have coffee with tsp of Monk Fruit (was black)

then I eat when i get hungry around noon then around 3:30 then dinner around 7 p.m.

back to coffee with monk fruit after 8 p.m.

oh i do Decaf in the evening but full leaded in the mornings :)

surgeon didn't even look twice when i said same thing to him in August

go with your gut and follow up with regular blood work

Each body has a natural rhythm.
I was a faster before fasting was “a plan”. I stuck with it through life, through surgery...
During the times in my life where I tried so hard to do the strict breakfast/lunch/dinner timetable as prescribed, (no eating after 7pm...oh, horror), I packed on weight.
My plan is exactly what my body loves; I have liquids, including a Protein Shake if I feel like it, until about 1-2p. Sometimes that extends to 3p if I can’t muster any interest in food. Then from 2pm until 8-9pm, I get my Protein in using solids, shakes, bars, whatever. I go to bed around 10:30pm nightly and fall asleep by 11pm. Usually get up around 8-9am and start over.
I ate this way as a kid, through high school, etc. The only time this changed was during the 10 year period I was super heavy.

I agree with what everyone said here. The times I lost big amounts of weight in my life, I was only eating 1 meal a day (or 1 meal + an afternoon snack). Hahaha. I didn't know I was doing IF or even doing OMAD. And I would swear that no way was I getting in 60g of Protein per day during those periods! Every other time I tried the 3 meals a day or the 3 meals + 2 Snacks, I was ALWAYS hungrier after breakfast. Even if my breakfast was low carb, high fat!

When I was immediately post op but could eat a regular diet, I did my protein coffee in the morning. And I was ok until around 11-noon for the first meal. I'd eat again around 3-4pm. But then it pushed dinner so late. So I went back to just doing black coffee in the morning and then evolved into doing IF. I heart IF. But sometimes if I've been too lenient the day before it makes me its little whining b***h for a day. :D

I eat a hard boiled egg and a yogurt for breakfast every day. I don't eat anything else for breakfast.

Some days I just have coffee, some days I have a Protein Shake, some days I have a soft-boiled egg and toast strips. Really depends on how hungry I am in the morning.

But generally I don’t force myself to eat Breakfast, never did - it’s the meal that can actually make me feel heavy and ill for the rest of the day.