Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The pre op diet has made me very ill. I go back and forth between awful headaches and suffering from nausea. If I have a small amount of food head and and stomach issue goes away. Not talking full meals here by no means. so now I find myself 4 days out from surgery and not having successfully transitioned to liquid diet. I have lost 6 pounds but worry that it is not enough for the liver shrink thing. Stressing over pre-op appointment today. Ugg do not want to mess this up. my total weight loss so far before surgery is 33 pounds but sense first visit is only 18 in 5 months

11 minutes ago, thedutch said:

The pre op diet has made me very ill. I go back and forth between awful headaches and suffering from nausea. If I have a small amount of food head and and stomach issue goes away. Not talking full meals here by no means. so now I find myself 4 days out from surgery and not having successfully transitioned to liquid diet. I have lost 6 pounds but worry that it is not enough for the liver shrink thing. Stressing over pre-op appointment today. Ugg do not want to mess this up. my total weight loss so far before surgery is 33 pounds but sense first visit is only 18 in 5 months

Sorry your stressing. All of this is work, it's not easy. I hope you get good news at your pre-op appointment. Update us when you can.

it may be part of the carb withdrawal. I got headaches as well - although I remember it got better after the first 3 or 4 days. Sorry you're going through this!!

The pre op diet is not easy for anyone.

Do your best to stick to it in the limited time you have left.

18 pounds in five months is nothing to sneeze at. Losing weight and keeping it off is hard, and pre op is a stressful time.

You can do it!

What small amount of food are you eating, specifically? Hopefully no processed food, bread, or simple carbs.

It is really important to follow the pre-op liquid diet and go through carb detox BEFORE surgery. It sucks, you will feel like crap (as you’ve already experienced), but it is better to do it now versus post-op. This is not something you can avoid. Just know we commiserate with you and are here if you need to vent. Good luck.

Edited by MarinaGirl

I was not able to tolerate the brand of shakes my dr uses. Severe stomach pain and diarrhea! So I tried some other shakes and also looked up liver shrinking diet. There are a list of foods that you can eat that still promote liver shrinkage which is the reason for the pre-op diet. I did a mix of alternate shakes and foods from the list. Hang in there!

Well surgery went through and I am home now. Never had any idea that the pain would be that horrific. They said we would wake up with a belly ache. Well let me tell you this that was no belly ache. But much better now getting better everyday. so my question now is what is with the 10 pound weight gain from the day of surgery till you go home. Is this from the IV's and all of the fluids they give your? Very discouraging . Wish they would have said tht before at lease I would of expected it. OK vent done and looking forward to the next stage of my new life.

ait will start kicking in. I put myself. a sign on the Bathroom mirror to remind me
"A SHOCK to the System", I believe even the smoothest take time to get used to.

14 minutes ago, thedutch said:

Well surgery went through and I am home now. Never had any idea that the pain would be that horrific. They said we would wake up with a belly ache. Well let me tell you this that was no belly ache. But much better now getting better everyday. so my question now is what is with the 10 pound weight gain from the day of surgery till you go home. Is this from the IV's and all of the fluids they give your? Very discouraging . Wish they would have said tht before at lease I would of expected it. OK vent done and looking forward to the next stage of my new life.

yes - the weight gain is from the IV fluids. It should be gone in a few days. Sorry about the pain - most people have little to no pain from this, but I've heard of others who found it painful. People seem to be all across the board on this...

I know right! How simple it would be to say, by the way, you'll be many pounds heavier when you get home don't worry about it. Or they could type it into one of those million papers they hand you on your way out. I think maybe they just don't think about it since many/ most of them haven't had the surgery.

So sorry for you difficulty. Transitioning to all liquids have me headaches, too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using BariatricPal mobile app

Don't worry about the gain at the hospital. It's temporary!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks everyone for their advice and support. I realize the importance of the steps we have to take. But sometimes voicing them helps us all to keep moving forward. Things are going well. Slow but well. Just the next stage. finding things I like or can tolerate. it is like a science experiment as I go.