Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting the Telogen Effluvium Hair loss research I used in a thread for the interested.

Started researching this after a visit to my dermatologist confirmed, Biotin and minoxidil would not help much.

I believe I started taking LLysine as soon as I was allowed to swallow pills post op. I experienced very very minimal hair loss (slight thinning of edges) My hair is back to normal now 1yr post op

(Noteworthy info: I practiced low manipulation of my hair for months (ballerina bun), my Iron ferritin and other Vitamins and minerals were perfect during this time because I received iv infusions and oral supplementation, Protein was around 45g daily when I started and worked up to 60g daily)

I would suggest consulting your teams, doing your own research, spending the least, understanding that genetics and environmental factors will also play a role despite best efforts, and getting an amazing silk/satin scarf or pillow case to protect what you have.

Safe Journey!

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1365-2230.2002.01076.x

Lysine and Iron (you may have to purchase access, mine has lapsed)

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1381/096089296765557295

zinc study

http://www.hpbiotin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/beslenme-ve-sac.pdf

LLysine and Iron study

http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/medical/issues/sag-11-41-5/sag-41-5-10-1005-853.pdf

vit D study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3819075/#b14-tlsr-21-2-91

Tocotrienol (Vit E family) study

Edited by GreenTealael

Great info! It should be noted however that, if you are seeing Hair loss, it's too late for that hair. Too many people don't understand that most hair support needs to occur BEFORE surgery to help prevent the "losses" down the line.

Overall, amazing information (from an amazing person) in 1 easy to find (hopefully folks search and find this).

Thanks Greenie!

3 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Thank you! It's great having so much info in one place!

IKR!?!?!

I'm always telling people to Google it and do their own research, but I began to wonder how many actually found the studies I was referencing.

Eliminating the extra steps.

Just now, Matt Z said:

Great info! It should be noted however that, if you are seeing Hair loss, it's too late for that hair. Too many people don't understand that most hair support needs to occur BEFORE surgery to help prevent the "losses" down the line.

Overall, amazing information (from an amazing person) in 1 easy to find (hopefully folks search and find this).

Thanks Greenie!

❤ Awww thanks ❤

Agreed.

I started very early with the supplementation. And some people will lose none or a lot no matter what they do.

😍 Greenie is cute ❤

1 minute ago, GreenTealael said:

I started very early with the supplementation. And some people will lose none or a lot no matter what they do.

😍 Greenie is cute ❤

Agreed. I started the Biotin like 2-3 months before surgery, haven't noticed any losses or issues.

And agreed... 😘

I started Biotin a month before

8 hours ago, Matt Z said:

It should be noted however that, if you are seeing Hair loss, it's too late for that hair. Too many people don't understand that most hair support needs to occur BEFORE surgery to help prevent the "losses" down the line.

I just wanted to emphasize this point. Once Hair loss start, it is hair that went into the "sleep" cycle, sometime back, most likely around the time of WLS. Once the folicle "wakes up", it pushes the old hair out, and that's your hair loss. Most of the time hair loss doesn't begin until 2-3 months out from surgery.

I also wanted to note that you could be doing everything right, hitting your Protein, taking Biotin from the beginning and still have hair loss. I think there is some genetics or luck involved as well.

On 11/26/2018 at 7:46 AM, GreenTealael said:

..I received iv infusions ...

Hey sis! There is an awesome place near me that offers this service. How often were you getting this done?

I can't remember total but mine were medically necessary, under supervision of a Hematologist in a Cancer Treatment Center. I'm still receiving treatments. They just tell me when. 😢

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

I can't remember total but mine were medically necessary, under supervision of a Hematologist in a Cancer Treatment Center. I'm still receiving treatments. They just tell me when. 😢

OK that sucks then! I live in a fairly pretentious area and there's this spa that offers that just for the hell of it. You can get your face dewrinkled, your ass fat lasered, and a Vitamin cocktail delivered straight to your blood stream all at one stop shop!

14 minutes ago, LadySin said:

OK that sucks then! I live in a fairly pretentious area and there's this spa that offers that just for the hell of it. You can get your face dewrinkled, your ass fat lasered, and a Vitamin cocktail delivered straight to your blood stream all at one stop shop!

Oh I'm sure people buy it out of convenience but I need this, thats the difference.

But id gladly partake in some fat migration lol.

Edited by GreenTealael

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:46 PM, GreenTealael said:

Thank you @GreenTealael this is very helpful. Right in the middle of Hair loss, so sucking up every bit of info I can. Hopefully it'll be slowing down soon, in the mean time I'm off to buy some Zinc! :)