Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Significant weight goal reached

In fall of 1997, I went on a particularly bad/embarrassing date. After a bit of humiliation, I realized that in order to impress the ladies, I needed to lose weight. I weighed 220 pounds at the time. I got down to 180, then worked my way up to around 263 by around 2004. I then went on a huge diet and got down to 163 towards the end of 2005. I then gained weight again and got up to around 290 around 2010 when I had my lap band. I was able to get down to 220 sometime in 2011, and that was the lowest I got with the band. I was 303 Late December of 2017. I had surgery in July, and was discharged ~ July 11th at 287#.

Today I weigh 219.6 :)

This is the least I've weighted since the beginning of 2005 (Almost 14 years) and in a way a significant event in that I'm where I was in late 1997 (19 years ago).

I started this journey with a waist of 48" (Really 49 because it was a very tight 48). Today I'm wearing 40-42" depending on the brand. I went from 4X to XL shirt size.

I am still obese, and I'm not done with my journey, but this is the first of a series of goals.

• Specifically, my next goal is 202 (I'll be officially overweight)
  • Then 199 (Get rid of the infamous "2")
  • Then 169 (Upper end of normal weight)
  • Then 150 (Comfortable "Normal" BMI of 22.2)

For those that know me, I'd like to consider myself as a humble person. I'm not posting this to get attaboy's or as a means to show off. I suppose it is just a big deal to me, and if nothing else, to encourage those just beginning the journey. When other people tell me what a great job I've done, I place emphasis on "Congratulate me when I've held the weight off" because as my history indicates, I'm halfway decent at losing weight, but absolutely horrible at keeping it off. I'm really trying to learn how to use my very-unforgiving pouch to permanently change my ways.

I know how you feel! At my highest I was 250 (back in 2013), I worked my ass off and got down to 140 in 2015, yo-yoed up and down but by Aug 2018 I was back up to 238. I got surgery in October and now I'm down to 197. Losing weight is the easy part, maintaining is the struggle.

I have hope for myself and for you too that with the help of our surgeries, we will be able to keep it off this time. It's all a learning process. And although sometimes I'm disappointed with myself about regaining after I had initially lost, I truly believe that I needed to experience it all in order to become the person I have. Sappy but true, the first time I lost weight I lost it because I hated myself and wanted to be different, this time I'm losing it because i love myself and want to be better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

2 minutes ago, Oct517 said:

[snip]... Sappy but true, the first time I lost weight I lost it because I hated it myself and wanted to be different, this time I'm losing it because i love myself and want to be better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree. The worse I felt, the more it hurt, the happier was (My first round of losing weight). When I went from 263 to 163, I felt terrible most of the time. When I would stand up, I would have to hold on to something because I would get very dizzy. When I went to the doctor, he (seriously) tested me for Meth, Cocaine and AIDS. When all tests came back negative ("Duh" was my response) he didn't know what to say/diagnose.

This time is different. I'm older. Being heavy hurts more, and now I have good friends who generally care about me and I'd like to retire with them and still be alive LOL.

Congrats!

🎉 CONGRATS 🎉

(Attaboy, humble or not, show off. I think when people dismiss their own accomplishments it leaves room for others to do the same - "You don't care, why should I?" - And this is note worthy so indulge in it!)

I actually told my surgeon in the initial interview that I could lose weight just fine, I just couldn't keep it off. So, I understand where you're coming from. But enjoy your successes along the way. Recognize them because, by God, you don't EVER intend to Celebrate each one of these milestones again. Be proud of yourself. We've spent enough years being ashamed, or at least I have. Congrats!

8 hours ago, CyclicalLoser said:

In fall of 1997, I went on a particularly bad/embarrassing date. After a bit of humiliation, I realized that in order to impress the ladies, I needed to lose weight. I weighed 220 pounds at the time. I got down to 180, then worked my way up to around 263 by around 2004. I then went on a huge diet and got down to 163 towards the end of 2005. I then gained weight again and got up to around 290 around 2010 when I had my lap band. I was able to get down to 220 sometime in 2011, and that was the lowest I got with the band. I was 303 Late December of 2017. I had surgery in July, and was discharged ~ July 11th at 287#.

Today I weigh 219.6 :)

This is the least I've weighted since the beginning of 2005 (Almost 14 years) and in a way a significant event in that I'm where I was in late 1997 (19 years ago).

I started this journey with a waist of 48" (Really 49 because it was a very tight 48). Today I'm wearing 40-42" depending on the brand. I went from 4X to XL shirt size.

I am still obese, and I'm not done with my journey, but this is the first of a series of goals.

• Specifically, my next goal is 202 (I'll be officially overweight)
  • Then 199 (Get rid of the infamous "2")
  • Then 169 (Upper end of normal weight)
  • Then 150 (Comfortable "Normal" BMI of 22.2)

For those that know me, I'd like to consider myself as a humble person. I'm not posting this to get attaboy's or as a means to show off. I suppose it is just a big deal to me, and if nothing else, to encourage those just beginning the journey. When other people tell me what a great job I've done, I place emphasis on "Congratulate me when I've held the weight off" because as my history indicates, I'm halfway decent at losing weight, but absolutely horrible at keeping it off. I'm really trying to learn how to use my very-unforgiving pouch to permanently change my ways.

It’s a HUGE deal! That’s fantastic! Keep up the good and healthy work!!

I'm just 3 pounds from reaching my lowest in 25 years - so I TOTALLY understand those benchmarks. Congrats to you!

Separ, congratulations to you as well. And hello from a former Michigander!

Outstanding! WTG And great that you never gave up! You'll reach your ultimate goal!