Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my first time posting.. I've had depression my whole life no matter what weight, and I know my surgery should help my self esteem but i worried if its going to effect my mental state as a whole. Im extremely worried about my relationships. Im pre-op little over 2 weeks. Super stressed.. anyone else who has dealt with mental health issues consistently and how the surgery changed that?

It has made me BETTER, yes traditionally it is cautioned that surgery makes it worse. Nope, I feel validated, it is a new start to a,new life, no longer in the Blue Put of Depression I am now seeing some sunlight🌟🌞🌟., Like alcoholics we never reach a total cure, but I now have the strenght to keep it in the background, inactivated. And my Wellbutrin has helped, went from 150mg Er twice daily pre to 100mg regular 3 times daily afterward. I have lost 64+ pounds since the end of July, something no ordinary diet or even childbirth and lactation did. God Bless Bradley J Needleman MD who took a chance on a 72 obese has-been, bless Ohio State University and his staff ,thank you for my RNY and most of all, for helping ME believe in ME again. Will prayer, a strong will, and the emotional support of others on Bariatric Pal, I BELIEVE,I,AM GOING TO MAKE IT TO MY FINAL VICTORY! And I know you can d9 it too!

I'll be real: major life changes can be hard on those of us with depression, and post-op life is a pretty serious change. I've had a few pretty bad things happen to me since surgery--unrelated, just bad timing--and haven't bounced back from them quite the same as I might have (or might not, it's always hard to predict) if I weren't also healing from surgery and probably getting some extra hormones flooding my system as the fat burns off.

Make sure you're set up with a therapist you like and trust. Make sure you've got coping mechanisms in place that aren't food-related. Short-term, the road is a little bumpy. I can't speak to the long term from experience, but I kind of expect that I'll still be someone with anxiety and depression, just also thinner and hopefully with less arthritis pain.

My first couple of weeks post-op were tough. I felt weak and fatigued in a way that felt like depression, mixed with some transient regret. However, as I lost more and more weight (I’m almost 5 months out and down 67 pounds) I felt physically energized and that supported a more upbeat mood.

I still have bad days when I want to manage my mood with food and find I’m not physically capable of it anymore. So I have consciously look for alternative ways of cheering myself up. Still, overall, I feel like WLS has improved my depression. I wish the same for you. I think you’ll be happy with it.

HannahRB,

I have had a few bouts with depression before my RNY, I should say I wasn't on any medications. I was always able to get over the few times I became depressed it was easy to pull myself back up and continue. Since my WLS, I started having anxiety bad. Like would have to leave the store or try to run to get stuff leaving my hubby to do his own stuff. I couldn't handle people standing in my way and I would think I HAVE to get this stuff done. I have a hard time getting out and going anywhere. So, I bite the bullet and talked to my PCP. She started me on a small dose of Paxil and guess what it was just enough to help me out of my worries. I still struggle some what but it has helped me out big time!! So, I guess what I am saying is just beware of your feelings and don't be afraid to ask for help. We go thru many changes afterwards, and we all know this can become serious very fast. But...it can be handled with ease. Good Luck

I honestly think it's super important to have your mental health network or team set up well-before you undergo the stresses that the surgical process entails. And even more so after surgery. The waiting and jumping through hoops and the questions about whether you will or won't qualify for insurance etc, can be just a real toll on you!

I'd also have the plan in place for the meds you need and know what surgery you will have and whether you will still absorb the meds the way you do now pre-surg. They may have to have a plan in place for adjusting dosages, switching up meds or med combos, etc. But it's better to go in strong and stable now with a plan in place for tackling tough issues that might arise post surgery.

I believe that depression or mental illness should not automatically preclude you from having surgery. You just have to be pro-active in making a game plan and make sure your docs/therapists are on-board with you.

Thank you all so much! I am well medicated at the moment just stressed out with school i leave the day after my finals finish. My coping mechanisms that are healthy are pretty much nonexistent. But i'm hoping i will figure it out :) Trying to focus on keeping my GPA whilst in the midst of starting my pre-op diet and making sure all my travel plans are in order is definitely hiking my anxiety up to 11 but i'm really glad i found these forums.