Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or Bypass... help!

For an experienced surgeon it’s not that much more complicated.

And I'm sure if you selected them they are great. Reminds me of an,old commercial " take this item. to your reputable dry- cleaner" now who honestly choses a disreputable one? If you're taking that much care about clothes wouldn't you take even more care with you? I'm hesistant when I see these dudes on YouTube that only do one kind,WARNING ! THIS DOCTOR IS BARELY COMPENTANT ! Run quickly in another direction!

You're right. I definitely trust my surgeon. I knew I liked him the first day I met him. I have also done a lot of research on him and he is very experienced and has a great reputation. He's also the one who decided to take the biopsies during my EGD which lead to the discovery of Barrett's so I am very thankful for that! This forum is great because although I know a few people in my life who have gotten the sleeve, I don't know anyone who has had bypass so it's great to meet others who are also having/ have had bypass.

And you,always will have ME, and I think my recovery is scarcely textbook, so nothing you could vent will shock ME and I still remain a believer! I have had a wonderful weight loss, if notHong else it had done what no fast or diet could and I look forward to finding out who was under the Fat Shell and displaying it for the world🌏to see! Even when I was given credit for scarcely nothing, I KNEW I was GREAT!

I would go with bypass. Your weightloss will be more significant and reflux will hopefully go away.

Agreed! If you have reflux now it will only get worse with a sleeve imo. Mine did. Revision coming up in 30 days

Good day! Saw my doc this am and with all my GERD/Nausea issues he gave me three choices:

1. Have a bypass

2. have the hiatal hernia fixed and see if that helps

3. Do nothing. Gee, thanks!

So he's ordered me to have an upper endoscopy tomorrow afternoon to see if I have Barrett's esophagus. My mom has that and he said it could be hereditary.

Oh well. I asked it the DS would be better than a bypass, and he said he does not do those. My thoughts were if they reconnect the small intestine lower down then the stomach acid can't back up into the stomach causing GERD/REFLUX/Heartburn issues. He didn't say one way or the other. So after this test, I'm going to take my records and go for a second opinion. I really don't want to do all this over again but I'm at my wits end. I was up all night with reflux, vomit up my esophagus and wicked nausea.

Thanks for listening/reading!

6 minutes ago, Crash2015 said:

I really don't want to do all this over again but I'm at my wits end.

Good luck with it all. i will say, I saw three different docs to get different opinions. As long as I met the insurance requirements (for me, seeing a doc once a month for 6 consecutive months sometime in the last year), I didn't need to start over. So what you've done so far likely won't be for nothing as long as you continue to meet with someone consecutively. Of course, this is subject to your doc being willing to do that.

Sleeve

Every person I know whom had sleeve gained weight back completely within 5/7 yrs, myself I had bypass but thought about sleeve until I found out I had acid reflux

Oh wow i know alot more whom have gained weight back with bypass

I never felt any differentl with bypass everything felt same except being sore from Anesthesia making body & throat a lil sore.

Control the reflux

LesbianDad30 , sometimes the best diet & medicine Don’t control reflux, I assure you that. I’ve taken the best & cheapest reflux meds they’re only temporary fix . But back to stats the Bypass has best weight loss success rate & but out for many yrs before sleeve.i have many friends on here, co -workers & ppl I’ve met whom agree with bypass stats..as we know each person is different & btw I never knew I had reflux until testing before surgery, also some I have tried foods that shouldn’t bother/agitate my reflux but they do six yrs later after continued monitoring.. to each their own but do your research throughly before making a major surgical decision.

Main thing make sure any type of surgeon is currently licensed & Board Certified with current licensing in office .