Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve or Bypass... help!

Praying🙏 everything goes well for you. And no pain and sorrow in the days ahead.

@ Alexandro, I started at 234, lost 50+, then regained and relost several times. Stuck now in the low 190s.

Got results back Monday on the Endcopy motility, and all is ok there, but they didn't put the tube far enough down to enter through the sphincter into the stomach. They want me to do the test AGAIN!!! Ahhhh, no! I live an hour away from my doc and had to take the entire day off work. Still kinda upset that they just didn't try harder to the get tube through. Still waiting on the second test results.

Good Luck Krash11!!!! :) Please let me know how it goes. I don't want to have another surgery but......

Hey
I did a Esophageal motility study and results are:
Esophageal pH monitoring: normal, just had 8 refluxes in total, normal is less than 50.
esophageal manometry: hypotonic lower esophageal sphincter

I will get back and talk with surgeon on Monday to decide sleeve or bypass, by the exam looks like would be ok sleeve as pH monitoring is more important than manometry but not sure yet...

Anyone had a similar result? If so what you did sleeve or bypass?

Thanks

Edited by Alexandro

I got my results yesterday, still awaiting for my doc to call me back. 88 episodes over 24 hours!! Can’t get over that! That’s like one every 16 minutes!!!!

ugh.

Edited by Crash2015

1 hour ago, Crash2015 said:

I got my results yesterday, still awaiting for my doc to call me back. 88 episodes over 24 hours!! Can’t get over that! That’s like one every 16 minutes!!!!

ugh.

Wow 88 episodes... was like that before the surgery?

My surgeon just switched me this week from sleeve to bypass because my endoscopy results were a 4cm hiatal hernia and Grade 1 esophagitis. From what you're saying is your exam, you should not be a sleeve candidate, either. Your esophagitis has moved on to Barrett's esophagus which puts you at a greater risk. I didn't wait to hear from my surgeon after my endoscopy. I emailed them with my results and asked. I'd encourage you to reach out, too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree, too. The sleeve may be disaster for you.

I had the sleeve in 2015. Now he wants to do a RNY. He was supposed to call me Friday, I'm hoping to hear from him tomorrow.

I did call his office and told them that the results were in. I was told he was out of town. At this point, I'm still very frustrated. The GERD is killing me.

I'm not trying to freak anyone out. I think my experience with all this has just stunk. I think that the surgery can really be great, I just think that my anatomy stinks. :(

I also had reflux. I met with three different doctors to get opinions. One wouldn't even think of doing a sleeve on someone with reflux that requires PPIs. The other two looked at my endoscopy results, monomotry, and Ph tests and determined that, while they slightly preferred the RNY, sleeve would be fine. Basically, my Ph tests showed few reflux events, I did not have barrets, and my monomotry was perfect. I had the sleeve on 10/29. My doc wants me on PPIs for 3 months, then we'll see how it goes. I hope I made the right decision. I also had a (I know somewhat irrational) fear of rearranging my intestines. It is too early to know how it'll all turn out in the end, but so far so good. All that said, I'm hesitant to advise someone to make the choice I did given that I know it was irrational. And both of the docs who were OK with the sleeve specifically said if I'd had barrett's, I would need a bypass. Good luck with the decision.

I had really bad reflux and was taking 100 mg of omeprazole before surgery and still getting some reflux issues with a trifecta of bad foods but after RNY I’ve had zero issues and taking 20 mg Prilosec. Each surgery has its ups and downs. With RNY malnutrition is my biggest long term concern but there seems to be a lot of vsg revisions to RNY. My insurance would only cover RNY so that made it easier but I’d take Vitamins for life to decrease chances of throat cancer.

I am facing a bypass 4 years after a vsg thanks to terrible heartburn, reflux, GERD. I would maybe even try to get a third opinion- vsg can lead to increased reflux whereas a bypass will all but eliminate it. Good luck!

I chose the sleeve for 2 reasons. One i am self pay.. and the difference in cost is well astronomical. But more importantly when i was doing the research. I didnt want my intestines rearranged. I wanted everything to function as normal. The Bypass from the research i have seen was more for patients that had a great deal of other health issues. I have been healthy other than my weight all my life. I am 49 years old and the only time i have ever been in the hospital was to have my children some 20 something years ago. I would say.. if you have other issues you want to resolve with your health then the Bypass maybe the way to go, but if it is solely a weight issue, then the sleeve should be just fine.

I had the sleeve in 2015. Now he wants to do a RNY. He was supposed to call me Friday, I'm hoping to hear from him tomorrow.
I did call his office and told them that the results were in. I was told he was out of town. At this point, I'm still very frustrated. The GERD is killing me.
I'm not trying to freak anyone out. I think my experience with all this has just stunk. I think that the surgery can really be great, I just think that my anatomy stinks. [emoji20]
Did you have an edoscopy before getting the sleeve and, if so, what were the findings?

I chose the sleeve for 2 reasons. One i am self pay.. and the difference in cost is well astronomical. But more importantly when i was doing the research. I didnt want my intestines rearranged. I wanted everything to function as normal. The Bypass from the research i have seen was more for patients that had a great deal of other health issues. I have been healthy other than my weight all my life. I am 49 years old and the only time i have ever been in the hospital was to have my children some 20 something years ago. I would say.. if you have other issues you want to resolve with your health then the Bypass maybe the way to go, but if it is solely a weight issue, then the sleeve should be just fine.
The sleeve is not good for anyone with a hiatus hernia or GERD.