Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing more than the expected 40-60% ?

19 hours ago, b_co said:

, but I refuse to accept that I will never reach my ultimate goal weight.

What is success with WLS?

We have different goals, medical issues and ways of working our programs. The goal is healthy even if you don't get to a goal number.

Reach for the stars, be your own awesome!

37 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

What is success with WLS?

I think this is an interesting question.

Is the guy who gets from a BMI of 65 to 31 really not as successful as the gal who gets from BMI 40 to 23?

And who decides this "ultimate goal weight" so many people are striving for anyway? How much lifelong effort are people willing and able to put into this whole weight/food thing? I think this is a question to ponder and being honest about to yourself.

People are talking about "getting educated" before surgery all the time and how important that is. Surgeons talk a lot about that most patients won't reach a normal weight and yet this seems to be a part of pre-surgical education that many patients either seem to completely ignore or are not willing to accept at all.

Edited by summerset

@Diana__in Philly, you look like what my dream is to be, granted I am only aiming for 175, but I could maybe end as low as you! I see and I know it will not be an easy trek for someone my age and from my starting point but I believe in ME and still think I am a woman who can do it# Thanks for,your shining example! Your Buckeye Friend Frustr8😛

As many others have already stated, that 40-60% is just an average and everyone will respond differently. I've lost about 77% of my excess weight. I started out with a goal of 190, hit that just last week, and weighed in earlier at 188. So I'm still losing. If I didn't lose another pound, I would be satisfied as I carry weight well and don't look like my numbers, however, I'm game for anything else that comes off extra. Not changing my current routines which includes 5-6 days of exercise, healthier meals and staying on here for support.

I started at 296.7 and currently 188. Down 108.7 in ten months. Chart below (1st column - month, 2nd column - weight lost in the month, 3rd column- cumulative weight lost)

image.png.e80775ec90f63eef34d8910a9de41e89.png

Edited by deltagirl93

I had my surgery 8 years ago, post menopausal and age 56, and lost 100 lbs. Surgery weight was 232, down from a high of about 240 (I stopped getting on the scales when I started wearing size 22 pants). I thought my "goal" weight would be 150 because I couldn't remember ever being any smaller than that. I hit 150 and just kept losing. The sleeve did most of the work, it hated bread, sweets, Pasta, potatoes, and most other high-carb food. Over time, I have lost my liking for them. Over the past 8 years I've put on 5 lbs, probably due to my metabolism slowing, but I'm still a size 6. I weigh myself every week and if there is a gain 2 weeks in a row, I cut back on Starbucks and olive oil until I'm back at 137.

I wish you as much luck as I have had, but not being obese is wonderful. Every bit you lose helps.

This thread is so encouraging!! You guys are doing so good, man it made me feel so happy and upbeat just reading all of your successful and positive experiences and each one is so different. Thanks to you all for the motivation 🥰🥰 woot woot

Such great motivation here! I, too, don't want to be a statistic. I was once 130 lbs and I want to get there again. I know that with hard work I can get there.

I started at 411lb with a BMI of 54.4 and am now 192lb with a BMI of 25.4 and 3lb away from 100% excess weight loss. My advice is to track your calories, know your BMR. And weight yourself often. Figure out what works for you and keep doing it. Don’t be afraid to be hungry, it’s worth it in the end. Ultimately you will get out what you put in and the end result is largely up to you.

11 hours ago, Paul Clarke said:

I started at 411lb with a BMI of 54.4 and am now 192lb with a BMI of 25.4 and 3lb away from 100% excess weight loss. My advice is to track your calories, know your BMR. And weight yourself often. Figure out what works for you and keep doing it. Don’t be afraid to be hungry, it’s worth it in the end. Ultimately you will get out what you put in and the end result is largely up to you.

Wow! Cudos and congrats to you!!!! That's outstanding and inspirational!

Thank you all for your replies! I am so encouraged by all of your individual stories. Success is subjective when it comes to weight loss. But reading that many of you adjusted your goals throughout the process is really encouraging. I may just have lofty goals because I haven’t had my surgery yet (tentative date is 12/12), but I can only hope that I am as positive and determined as you after surgery!

I am so happy for all of you and wish you the best on your journeys 😊