Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Months Post Op

Hi everyone!

I technically hit 6 months 2 days ago, but whatever Wednesdays suck so boo. Anyways, I am 6 months into my new life, and good lord is it a new life. I am a new person for sure. One year ago to the day I had been sobbing in my room because my size 24s would barely button. I know without a doubt that I was over 300lbs, but the sight of a scale had anxiety clogging my throat. I decided that day something would change. I went out and dropped 2k on an elliptical and resolved to "fix this ridiculousness immediately."

Fast forward to February of 2018, and I was frustrated as all hell. Killing myself on the elliptical every freaking day and I was sitting at 292 and not moving. It wasn't enough. It was never enough, because this wasn't the first time I had gotten fed up and resolved to change. I went online and booked myself an appointment for March 15 for a WLS consultation. I think the stress and anxiety over that appointment helped me drop a few lbs, but I weighed in at just under 288 for my very first weigh in, and the first day of my new life. I reworked everything about my diet, cut out the crap and worked studiously with the nutritionist. I was scheduled for surgery on May 14th, weighing in at 260lbs.

Fast forward six months later, and I am sitting here at 184 (Darn you sweet potato wedges and the 2lb gain this morning because of you! But you were so worth it). I am OVER 100lbs down from where I began 2018. I am 76lbs down from my surgery weight. But numbers are really not my major accomplishments. Or at least, not those numbers.

What are my important numbers?

2.5: The number of miles I can run without stopping to walk. I will be running my second 5k Thanksgiving Morning.

12: The size freaking pants I am wearing! I am NOT plus size anymore. This is huge for me. I've been in plus size clothes for the majority of my children's (8 and 5) lives and now I am not. I am below average size for the american woman.

7: The number of sizes I have dropped. I don't know why, but I feel like that's a big deal. I dropped SEVEN sizes in less than a YEAR. Total Mind F**k.

3: The number of days per week I take my kids on a hike/walk in the neighborhood. Given this is weather permitting, but I am always out with my kids now, doing the things I couldn't before. Whether it's riding on the bike trail, doing laps around the pond, or mini-hikes through the state forest, or even exploring the small woods behind our house- We are doing it. Every weekend and many times during the week if we can.

1 Million: The percentage displaying how much better I feel about myself, and about my health.

and lastly,

0: The number of regrets I have for deciding to have this surgery.

So that aside, whats my day to day like? Well here it is! (Work week, weekends are less regimented but usually are where I focus my heavier workouts)

4:30am: I wake up and drink a cup of coffee (8oz) mixed with half a bottle of caramel or chocolate Premier Protein RTD drink. This is the start to my day, every day. I then go for my run or do my weight lifting/exercise regimen. During the week it's usually only a two mile run. I also go to OTF once a week, but that's usually on weekends. Wednesday is my OFF day because F**K Wednesdays.

6am: I make a shake and drink it during my 1.5 - 2 hour commute. Yes 6 months out I still drink a shake. I do this because I make my own shakes and they are super good and I ALWAYS feel way more energetic when I have them. I have a huge selection of shakes I make, but they typically will consist of greek yogurt or cottage cheese, almond milk, Protein Powder, and either sweet or more savory items. I pack as much nutritional punch as I can into that shake. I even have holiday ones (My peppermint mocha shake is delicious!)

10am: I will usually have a small snack. Honestly it really varies. Sometimes it will be a fruit, but it's usually something more cheese based. I love cheese. So a babybell cheese, string cheese, or even my newest obsession Sargento breaks.

12pm: Lunch always varies, but I am usually good for about 2.5oz of food. I know it sounds super small, and at times I can eat more but I usually try not to since I don't need it. I tend to eat smaller frequent meals. Again this varies, but one thing I eat a lot is turkey salad. Roast turkey with greek yogurt and a FEW dried cranberries, salt, pepper and paprika and I am good to go.

2pm: Coffee #2! Actually I drink so much coffee, but luckily it's almost all Decaf. This coffee is a staple because well I have routine issues and just need it. It makes me happy. If I am having a rough day energy wise I'll add some PP in like my first coffee, but I seldom need the added Protein. In fact I take in too much protein honestly. I'm working on it with my nutritionist.

3pm: This is usually my sweet snack. I make my own seven layer bars that I will sometimes eat, but if not it will be some sort of sweet. I will often eat some sort of fruit, yogurt, or whatever floats my boat. If I eat chocolate, I eat dark. It's my preference anyways.

6pm: Dinner time! This is my last meal of the day. I almost never eat anything after this since I go to bed around 9am because I am secretly an old person LOL. Dinners as you can imagine vary a ton as well, but I eat predominately white meat. Not that red meat is bad, but my husband had a heart attack back in April so we limit the amount of red meat in the house. Despite changing taste buds I hate fish just as much post surgery as I did before it. I was bummed by this but whatever. We eat lots of turkey and chicken. Because my diet is pretty healthy, I do tend to be a bit more lax about dinner but that is just me. I will still opt for a healthier option a majority, but I still make a mean homemade chicken pot pie so I splurge every now and then :)

Overall my calories range from 1100-1400 depending on how heavy my workouts are, and the time of the month because YES that makes a difference. I get in about 85-100g of protein (too much I know, I'm sort of working on it sort of. I made routines post surgery when you had to focus focus focus on building protein and I sort of overdid it. I mean I STILL drink protein waters because I'm weird. I drink about 100oz of water/fluid (This includes the DECAF coffees, I don't count caffeinated coffee in my Fluid intake and will drink a bit more Water if I have caffeine). Honestly any less than that and I really really feel awful. Keeping hydrated literally means the difference between going for that run, or lying in the fetal position on my bed with a Migraine. I don't respond well to my migraine meds post surgery. If I only got in say 70oz of water a day for 3 days straight, I'd be bedraggled with dark circles, and fighting a headache. My body likes water. A lot.

I take my Vitamins mostly daily. The BIG vitamins I do... it's the Calcium ones I don't always take. I don't know why, but they always make me feel super super thirsty after taking them. My one a day does too, but not nearly as bad and they are more important. I LOVE my B12 I feel like it makes a huge difference so I always take that one. I'd say I take the calcium one 5 out of 7 days. I would say I'm working on that too... but I'm really not. NOT because I don't think it's important, but because I am a stubborn idiot and my teeth are probably paying for it :(. Maybe that will be my resolution for 2019...

So that's me in a nutshell I think? Hair loss sucks but I have alopecia so that's not new. Saggy skin is definitely a thing. Mine isn't TOO bad, but it's definitely there. I mean I've had two kids and been fat so I wasn't expecting any less. My ass ran away though. That's kind of sad. I've tweaked my workouts a bit in hopes of coaxing it back but who knows if that will work LOL.

Oh and lastly I wanted to talk stalls. Holy lord do I stall. My body is kind of ridiculous. Each month I kid you not I will not move at all, then bam I'll lose a ton of weight. My body likes to stall...gain... then wooooosh drop 5lbs overnight. So don't let stalls discourage you. It's a thing. They happen. And if your eating right and exercising the weight will continue to drop until you reach your happy place. Don't get discouraged. I personally treat each stall like a good friend. Because that stall always means my clothes are going to get a bit looser :) So I welcome good old Mr. Stall ❤️

P.S. Running makes your legs look fabulous. My thunder thighs no longer go BOOM. In fact they look kind of... sexy... in my running pants :D

P.S.S. My feet AND head shrunk too! Went down a full size in shoes (may go down to a 9.5 too since my 10s feel a bit slippery) and all my pre-surgery wigs are sooooooo big. Who knew I had so much fat on my head...

Okay Piccy time (I know 90% of newbies will skip straight to that because that's totally what I did LOL)

June-September 2017: I was probably about 295-305 in these pictures (Kind of hurts to look at them now to be honest.)

IMG_1353.jpg.0a0bd694e17b3f6a146eca594343fb2d.jpg 19114016_10210955567660219_3159382184568952366_n.jpg.70f682f240c18a1af4a50b838d6f19e0.jpg11227933_10207796248808803_5283093469774561746_o.thumb.jpg.5fe1967bb26f9568b4cf51ac3d0c2a3d.jpg

October 2018: I was at a conference and getting ready to run down to the gym. (The bulge in the sweater is a water bottle, I know it looks super weird haha! I was about 190lbs.

6D5BA0B1-84C3-4F56-892B-35BD21B37C26.JPEG.5a07244c31cdbfd35b0efddf8f89113a.JPEGIMG_1325.JPG.e6559f6e40b2c9ca205237ec4bbcac0c.JPG

And lastly, this is me TODAY at 184!

IMG_1356.thumb.JPG.9aafab5fb99133c5fdc2cc1a0eed7cd4.JPG

So the summary of this post... Life is effing amazing, and you can achieve WONDERFUL results if you are committed. I attribute my success to the dedication to BE a better, healthier version of myself and also a STRONGER version of myself. I can lift weights at the gym with the fit folks and NOT look out of place :) Such a good feeling. I even get a little smug when I notice my lifting form is better than the pretty boy who likes to offer me "advice" ;)

Edited by Kay07

Oh my gosh. I was grinning ear to ear while I read this post!!!! I'm so happy for you it's crazy! You're totes gorgeous girl!!! What a great post! Thanks for sharing your story and journey! Congrats!!!

Omg I’m so happy for you I had my surgery almost same as you...I started at 240lbs and I’m now 173lbs I had my surgery 5-30-18 I’m also so excited

083632D8-F53D-44B7-8BB1-928FF2E24D20.jpeg

I haven’t been in a size 12 jeans in many years 😀

1 hour ago, Kay07 said:

Hi everyone!

I technically hit 6 months 2 days ago, but whatever Wednesdays suck so boo. Anyways, I am 6 months into my new life, and good lord is it a new life. I am a new person for sure. One year ago to the day I had been sobbing in my room because my size 24s would barely button. I know without a doubt that I was over 300lbs, but the sight of a scale had anxiety clogging my throat. I decided that day something would change. I went out and dropped 2k on an elliptical and resolved to "fix this ridiculousness immediately."

Fast forward to February of 2018, and I was frustrated as all hell. Killing myself on the elliptical every freaking day and I was sitting at 292 and not moving. It wasn't enough. It was never enough, because this wasn't the first time I had gotten fed up and resolved to change. I went online and booked myself an appointment for March 15 for a WLS consultation. I think the stress and anxiety over that appointment helped me drop a few lbs, but I weighed in at just under 288 for my very first weigh in, and the first day of my new life. I reworked everything about my diet, cut out the crap and worked studiously with the nutritionist. I was scheduled for surgery on May 14th, weighing in at 260lbs.

Fast forward six months later, and I am sitting here at 184 (Darn you sweet potato wedges and the 2lb gain this morning because of you! But you were so worth it). I am OVER 100lbs down from where I began 2018. I am 76lbs down from my surgery weight. But numbers are really not my major accomplishments. Or at least, not those numbers.

2.5: The number of miles I can run without stopping to walk. I will be running my second 5k Thanksgiving Morning.

12: The size freaking pants I am wearing! I am NOT plus size anymore. This is huge for me. I've been in plus size clothes for the majority of my children's (8 and 5) lives and now I am not. I am below average size for the american woman.

7: The number of sizes I have dropped. I don't know why, but I feel like that's a big deal. I dropped SEVEN sizes in less than a YEAR. Total Mind F**k.

3: The number of days per week I take my kids on a hike/walk in the neighborhood. Given this is weather permitting, but I am always out with my kids now, doing the things I couldn't before. Whether it's riding on the bike trail, doing laps around the pond, or mini-hikes through the state forest, or even exploring the small woods behind our house- We are doing it. Every weekend and many times during the week if we can.

1 Million: The percentage displaying how much better I feel about myself, and about my health.

and lastly,

So that aside, whats my day to day like? Well here it is! (Work week, weekends are less regimented but usually are where I focus my heavier workouts)

4:30am: I wake up and drink a cup of coffee (8oz) mixed with half a bottle of caramel or chocolate Premier Protein RTD drink. This is the start to my day, every day. I then go for my run or do my weight lifting/exercise regimen. During the week it's usually only a two mile run. I also go to OTF once a week, but that's usually on weekends. Wednesday is my OFF day because F**K Wednesdays.

6am: I make a shake and drink it during my 1.5 - 2 hour commute. Yes 6 months out I still drink a shake. I do this because I make my own shakes and they are super good and I ALWAYS feel way more energetic when I have them. I have a huge selection of shakes I make, but they typically will consist of greek yogurt or cottage cheese, almond milk, Protein Powder, and either sweet or more savory items. I pack as much nutritional punch as I can into that shake. I even have holiday ones (My peppermint mocha shake is delicious!)

10am: I will usually have a small snack. Honestly it really varies. Sometimes it will be a fruit, but it's usually something more cheese based. I love cheese. So a babybell cheese, string cheese, or even my newest obsession Sargento breaks.

12pm: Lunch always varies, but I am usually good for about 2.5oz of food. I know it sounds super small, and at times I can eat more but I usually try not to since I don't need it. I tend to eat smaller frequent meals. Again this varies, but one thing I eat a lot is turkey salad. Roast turkey with greek yogurt and a FEW dried cranberries, salt, pepper and paprika and I am good to go.

2pm: Coffee #2! Actually I drink so much coffee, but luckily it's almost all Decaf. This coffee is a staple because well I have routine issues and just need it. It makes me happy. If I am having a rough day energy wise I'll add some PP in like my first coffee, but I seldom need the added Protein. In fact I take in too much Protein honestly. I'm working on it with my nutritionist.

3pm: This is usually my sweet snack. I make my own seven layer bars that I will sometimes eat, but if not it will be some sort of sweet. I will often eat some sort of fruit, yogurt, or whatever floats my boat. If I eat chocolate, I eat dark. It's my preference anyways.

6pm: Dinner time! This is my last meal of the day. I almost never eat anything after this since I go to bed around 9am because I am secretly an old person LOL. Dinners as you can imagine vary a ton as well, but I eat predominately white meat. Not that red meat is bad, but my husband had a heart attack back in April so we limit the amount of red meat in the house. Despite changing taste buds I hate fish just as much post surgery as I did before it. I was bummed by this but whatever. We eat lots of turkey and chicken. Because my diet is pretty healthy, I do tend to be a bit more lax about dinner but that is just me. I will still opt for a healthier option a majority, but I still make a mean homemade chicken pot pie so I splurge every now and then :)

Overall my calories range from 1100-1400 depending on how heavy my workouts are, and the time of the month because YES that makes a difference. I get in about 85-100g of protein (too much I know, I'm sort of working on it sort of. I made routines post surgery when you had to focus focus focus on building protein and I sort of overdid it. I mean I STILL drink protein waters because I'm weird. I drink about 100oz of water/fluid (This includes the DECAF coffees, I don't count caffeinated coffee in my Fluid intake and will drink a bit more Water if I have caffeine). Honestly any less than that and I really really feel awful. Keeping hydrated literally means the difference between going for that run, or lying in the fetal position on my bed with a Migraine. I don't respond well to my Migraine meds post surgery. If I only got in say 70oz of Water a day for 3 days straight, I'd be bedraggled with dark circles, and fighting a Headache. My body likes water. A lot.

I take my Vitamins mostly daily. The BIG Vitamins I do... it's the Calcium ones I don't always take. I don't know why, but they always make me feel super super thirsty after taking them. My one a day does too, but not nearly as bad and they are more important. I LOVE my B12 I feel like it makes a huge difference so I always take that one. I'd say I take the Calcium one 5 out of 7 days. I would say I'm working on that too... but I'm really not. NOT because I don't think it's important, but because I am a stubborn idiot and my teeth are probably paying for it :(. Maybe that will be my resolution for 2019...

So that's me in a nutshell I think? Hair loss sucks but I have alopecia so that's not new. Saggy skin is definitely a thing. Mine isn't TOO bad, but it's definitely there. I mean I've had two kids and been fat so I wasn't expecting any less. My ass ran away though. That's kind of sad. I've tweaked my workouts a bit in hopes of coaxing it back but who knows if that will work LOL.

Oh and lastly I wanted to talk stalls. Holy lord do I stall. My body is kind of ridiculous. Each month I kid you not I will not move at all, then bam I'll lose a ton of weight. My body likes to stall...gain... then wooooosh drop 5lbs overnight. So don't let stalls discourage you. It's a thing. They happen. And if your eating right and exercising the weight will continue to drop until you reach your happy place. Don't get discouraged. I personally treat each stall like a good friend. Because that stall always means my clothes are going to get a bit looser :) So I welcome good old Mr. Stall ❤️

P.S. Running makes your legs look fabulous. My thunder thighs no longer go BOOM. In fact they look kind of... sexy... in my running pants :D

P.S.S. My feet AND head shrunk too! Went down a full size in shoes (may go down to a 9.5 too since my 10s feel a bit slippery) and all my pre-surgery wigs are sooooooo big. Who knew I had so much fat on my head...

Okay Piccy time (I know 90% of newbies will skip straight to that because that's totally what I did LOL)

June-September 2017: I was probably about 295-305 in these pictures (Kind of hurts to look at them now to be honest.)

IMG_1353.jpg.0a0bd694e17b3f6a146eca594343fb2d.jpg 19114016_10210955567660219_3159382184568952366_n.jpg.70f682f240c18a1af4a50b838d6f19e0.jpg 11227933_10207796248808803_5283093469774561746_o.thumb.jpg.5fe1967bb26f9568b4cf51ac3d0c2a3d.jpg

October 2018: I was at a conference and getting ready to run down to the gym. (The bulge in the sweater is a water bottle, I know it looks super weird haha! I was about 190lbs.

6D5BA0B1-84C3-4F56-892B-35BD21B37C26.JPEG.5a07244c31cdbfd35b0efddf8f89113a.JPEG IMG_1325.JPG.e6559f6e40b2c9ca205237ec4bbcac0c.JPG

So the summary of this post... Life is effing amazing, and you can achieve WONDERFUL results if you are committed. I attribute my success to the dedication to BE a better, healthier version of myself and also a STRONGER version of myself. I can lift weights at the gym with the fit folks and NOT look out of place :) Such a good feeling. I even get a little smug when I notice my lifting form is better than the pretty boy who likes to offer me "advice" ;)

Fantastic loss. Love that you are a bit smug in the gym. You worked hard for that.

Pretty crazy to think all this change happen in six months, Right? Some days you will want to pinch yourself l......Thinking this is all a dream..lol

Congrats!

Edited by skinnylife

What an inspiring journey!! You look great! Hard work definitely pays off.

So motivating for us newbies!!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

2 hours ago, Kay07 said:

Hi everyone!

and lastly,

2pm: Coffee #2! Actually I drink so much coffee, but luckily it's almost all Decaf. This coffee is a staple because well I have routine issues and just need it. It makes me happy. If I am having a rough day energy wise I'll add some PP in like my first coffee, but I seldom need the added Protein. In fact I take in too much Protein honestly. I'm working on it with my nutritionist.

Overall my calories range from 1100-1400 depending on how heavy my workouts are, and the time of the month because YES that makes a difference. I get in about 85-100g of protein (too much I know, I'm sort of working on it sort of. I made routines post surgery when you had to focus focus focus on building protein and I sort of overdid it. I mean I STILL drink protein waters because I'm weird. I drink about 100oz of water/fluid (This includes the DECAF coffees, I don't count caffeinated coffee in my Fluid intake and will drink a bit more Water if I have caffeine). Honestly any less than that and I really really feel awful. Keeping hydrated literally means the difference between going for that run, or lying in the fetal position on my bed with a Migraine. I don't respond well to my Migraine meds post surgery. If I only got in say 70oz of Water a day for 3 days straight, I'd be bedraggled with dark circles, and fighting a Headache. My body likes water. A lot.

I take my Vitamins mostly daily. The BIG Vitamins I do... it's the Calcium ones I don't always take. I don't know why, but they always make me feel super super thirsty after taking them. My one a day does too, but not nearly as bad and they are more important. I LOVE my B12 I feel like it makes a huge difference so I always take that one. I'd say I take the Calcium one 5 out of 7 days. I would say I'm working on that too... but I'm really not. NOT because I don't think it's important, but because I am a stubborn idiot and my teeth are probably paying for it :(. Maybe that will be my resolution for 2019...

IMG_1353.jpg.0a0bd694e17b3f6a146eca594343fb2d.jpg 19114016_10210955567660219_3159382184568952366_n.jpg.70f682f240c18a1af4a50b838d6f19e0.jpg 11227933_10207796248808803_5283093469774561746_o.thumb.jpg.5fe1967bb26f9568b4cf51ac3d0c2a3d.jpg

6D5BA0B1-84C3-4F56-892B-35BD21B37C26.JPEG.5a07244c31cdbfd35b0efddf8f89113a.JPEG IMG_1325.JPG.e6559f6e40b2c9ca205237ec4bbcac0c.JPG

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Especially about the stalls you experience! You look fantastic!

Inspiring post! Thank you! Just what I needed to read... you look stunning 🤗

On 11/16/2018 at 14:52, Lena809 said:

Omg I’m so happy for you I had my surgery almost same as you...I started at 240lbs and I’m now 173lbs I had my surgery 5-30-18 I’m also so excited

083632D8-F53D-44B7-8BB1-928FF2E24D20.jpeg

Hi fellow May buddy! You are looking fantastic! I love love love how confident you look. You are rocking those slim fit jeans 😉

Thank you all so so much! Yes I sometimes catch my reflection and think WTF WHO IS THAT! Such an awesome feeling.
This surgery really changed my life for the better.

Congratulations on your amazing progress, running is something I never thought I'd do again but never say never, I'm not breaking any records but I'm up to two miles without stopping

P.S you look beautiful

Fantastic! Thanks for posting this!