Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not feeling full - can eat a “normal” size portion

Hey!

I’m almost 6 months out and just had a question for all of you veterans out there. Although I don’t eat near the same amount of food I did before, I don’t really find my appetite as suppressed as I thought it would be. I can easily eat a side Caesar salad with two chicken souvlaki sticks or over a cup of Protein Pasta. I mentally stop myself from eating until I’m full because I don’t want to overeat or stretch out my pouch (not sure if that’s a real thing or myth).

For example, for Breakfast, I always eat whole grain toast with Peanut Butter and half a banana on top because I kickbox afterwards and need the energy. I have eaten that with an egg omelette as well and stopped myself halfway because I knew it was too much food.

My question is, does this happen to anyone else and what do you do? I just want to know when to stop and if I’m messing up.

Thanks in advance!

It's quite normal that you are able to eat bigger portions with time. I don't know how big these portions you're describing really are (e. g. just how big are these chicken things?).

In general I have the impression that many patients don't seem to be prepared when it comes to growing portions. Is that something a lot of surgeons/nutritionists/etc. simply don't talk about?

My question is, does this happen to anyone else and what do you do? I just want to know when to stop and if I’m messing up.

As long as your weight is moving down you're not "messing up".

Edited by summerset

26 minutes ago, Pink nova said:

Hey!

I’m almost 6 months out and just had a question for all of you veterans out there. Although I don’t eat near the same amount of food I did before, I don’t really find my appetite as suppressed as I thought it would be. I can easily eat a side Caesar salad with two chicken souvlaki sticks or over a cup of Protein Pasta. I mentally stop myself from eating until I’m full because I don’t want to overeat or stretch out my pouch (not sure if that’s a real thing or myth).

For example, for Breakfast, I always eat whole grain toast with Peanut Butter and half a banana on top because I kickbox afterwards and need the energy. I have eaten that with an egg omelette as well and stopped myself halfway because I knew it was too much food.< br />

Thanks in advance!

Not a Vet but

Some of us can eat a lot more than others, but rarely 6-8oz of pure dense Proteins (plainly cooked chicken, fish, beef & tofu)

You may be able eat more because your foods are sliders

Try going right back to basics .

Test yourself by eating only clean cooked dense proteins for one meal and see what your intake is really like before restriction hits. You'll be able to gauge your real hunger vs carb influenced hunger better.Then play around with adding sliders in after.

Also salads are great too because they have very little caloric impact when done cleanly.

Safe Journey!

Edited by GreenTealael

8 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Also salads are great too because they have very little caloric impact when done cleanly.

And don't be surprised about the portion size when it comes to leafy greens and raw vegetables.

I also have a big capacity in my opinion. And yeah, the RD still talks in terms of 1 cup of food. But I can eat more than that. But like you @Pink nova I think it's important to still measure. Maybe that is even more important to us! Than to people who feel a great deal of restriction. Cuz the ability to over consume calories and over-stuff the pouch is so liberal.

So even though I could theoretically eat 4-5oz of dense Protein plus veg plus some kind of salad, in goodly amounts, I still go back to when I did have more restriction and use those scale weights to keep my food volume even, rather than growing.

I think maybe you ought to as everyone said, make sure you go back to basics. And focus on simple, dense foods, and al dente veg plus some salad or avocado/tomato. And keep your portion reasonable regardless of how far out you are. I also think, that if you are carb sensitive, that could contribute to your growing hunger. It does me. But I'm much more satisfied with my portions when I just concentrate on protein, veggies, and healthy fats.

Good luck! It's frustrating and scary! ((hugs))

I agree with measuring. I had to learn early on that just because I could did NOT mean I should. Teaching yourself control and learning when to recognize what you need versus what you want will make your success that much easier to achieve!

3 minutes ago, Kay07 said:

I agree with measuring. I had to learn early on that just because I could did NOT mean I should. Teaching yourself control and learning when to recognize what you need versus what you want will make your success that much easier to achieve!

OMgosh, girl! You are nearly at goal! CONGRATS!!!!

2 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

OMgosh, girl! You are nearly at goal! CONGRATS!!!!

I am!!! It's so efffffffffing exciting! Honestly I think I might make 160 a new goal but I am not sure my body will go for it. I am a goal-centric person so if I set it I will try to move heaven and earth to make it happen. I'll make that decision once I hit 175 :D

You aren't too far off either! That is amazing!!!

Edited by Kay07

i’m struggling pretty hard with this too. i feel like i can eat a “normal amount” and that i’m screwing myself. i’ve been at a stall for the last few weeks (surgery was 7/25 and i’m down 57.4lbs since surgery) i’m fluctuating within ~5lbs currently and i feel like it has a lot to do with my eating, though i haven’t started working out yet so it could be that. now that i can eat more foods i think i’m getting too lax with myself and need some tips on how to get back in the right mindset.

9 hours ago, summerset said:

It's quite normal that you are able to eat bigger portions with time. I don't know how big these portions you're describing really are (e. g. just how big are these chicken things?).

In general I have the impression that many patients don't seem to be prepared when it comes to growing portions. Is that something a lot of surgeons/nutritionists/etc. simply don't talk about?

As long as your weight is moving down you're not "messing up".

Interestingly, at my one month follow-up, my surgeon began discussing how to continue being successful after the honeymoon period, when your stomach can hold more food (6mo+). She said it is up to me to eat the allotted amount of food and then stop; continue to measure.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She said it is up to me to eat the allotted amount of food and then stop; continue to measure.

I kind of feel the urge to rant about what your surgeon gave you as an answer but I won't.

Instead of this I'm recommending looking up Dr. Weiner's videos, e. g. these:

http://drmatthewweiner.com/weight-loss-surgery-patients-eat-your-vegetables-first/

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-to-prevent-your-stomach-from-stretching-after-weight-loss-surgery/

I'm having to relearn about portions and satiety because my bypass is WAY different to my old lapband. With the former, if it was too loose I could and craved eating normal and bigger sized portions, steak etc. But too tight and I could only eat slider food and was throwing up all the time. Now with my bypass pouch I don't have the lapband "hard stop" and I feel like I could eat more, BUT if I make myself eat much slower and make sure I eat good quality Protein, I get satiety in about twenty to thirty minutes. Its not fullness eg oh my gosh I'm stuffed, it's more just a pleasant sense of having eaten to general satisfaction and I don't have to eat now for a while.

It's a much quieter voice so I have to actively listen for it, but it's so much better. So I measure my food and I have about 5-6 oz of squishier protein/meal eg Shelley's Ricotta Bake with a bit of chicken added in (now I can) and take it REAL slow. If I'm still looking for something after that I have about 15g nuts b/c I know that will give me satiety.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

5 hours ago, summerset said:

I kind of feel the urge to rant about what your surgeon gave you as an answer but I won't.

http://drmatthewweiner.com/weight-loss-surgery-patients-eat-your-vegetables-first/

http://drmatthewweiner.com/how-to-prevent-your-stomach-from-stretching-after-weight-loss-surgery/

Not trying to start an argument with you. I can see where you are coming from and am only offering this alternative.

My RD also said the same thing to me essentially.

She said that most people live comfortably eating about 1 cup of food once the new anatomy is fully healed and matured, but there is some fluctuation. She said raw veg and salads most people can eat more of...some foods are sliders and go out almost as quickly as they come in, so people can eat more of those as well. Then there are the minorities. Those who have larger stomas. Those with tummies whose muscles relax more, etc.

She said for those minorities, they have to figure out long term hacks to be able to assuage hunger and maintain good habits and practices. Things like ALWAYS eating what your Protein prescription is for your current size/build/activity level/age, etc. And only eating that much--not overeating it. Always eat the amount of fat in your life-long prescription. Concentrating on low glycemic veggies to add the bulk. She said those could be eaten to satiety. She said to eat the amount of fruit, dairy, nuts/seeds, and complex whole grains that are prescribed in the diet if there is room after getting the protein fat and veggies in.

But, she did say, that we need to arrive at a quantity that is sustainable for us and stick with it. Don't let our habits over ride our need to control our calories/macros. So no eating around our surgery. No reverting to old food habits with crap food, no filling up on highly dense caloric crap. That kind of thing...

So even though I "can" eat more than 1cup of food at a sitting. I'm pretty comfy at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2c of food. And I measure and stop there. In 3 years, I hope I am still measuring and stopping at 1 1/4 to 1 1/2c of food. And 2cups salad. ;)

I am also of the belief to continue measuring. I want to build a habit and routine of getting what I NEED and not eating more than that. Several years from now I will also hopefully still keeping an eye on volume intake. I want to be a success statistic 😊

17 hours ago, summerset said:

She was coming from a good place, @summerset. In essence, she was saying that as I advance and can tolerate more food, don't eat more than you have become accustomed to eating during the process (1 cup).

I have watched a few of Dr. Weiner's videos and like his perspective, as well.