Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today is 25 years since my youngest brother passed away as a result of a car crash. Instead of grieving with a whole lot of emotional eating, I choose to Celebrate his life by asking everyone to give consideration to register as a organ donor and letting their family know their wishes.

Truth be hold I probably couldn't do a whole lot of emotional eating after my recent ESG, but we will all have new shiny and healthy bodies and organs once we have lost our excess weight and it would be a shame those healthy organs would go to waste when we pass. Let's celebrate life by giving the best and biggest gift of all.

give life.jpg

martin.jpg

I think it’s time that our government changed from an opt in system to an opt out system, they should also remove the families ability to be able to refuse to donate a loved ones organs if the loved one was on the register.

No one needs their organs once they are dead

33 minutes ago, elcee said:

I think it’s time that our government changed from an opt in system to an opt out system, they should also remove the families ability to be able to refuse to donate a loved ones organs if the loved one was on the register.

Absolutely agree!

My family has long held a positive view of organ donation. When Martin (my brother) was declared brain dead there was not any hesitation in agreeing to organ donation from any of us.

5 hours ago, elcee said:

Our family has been on the registry for years, and one of my sons donated stem cells a few months ago. I was extremely proud of him. However, I can't agree with this statement. While the deceased does not "need" their organs, it is not up to the state to inflict further suffering on the families to provide a benefit to someone they don't even know. Instead, the state should do a lot more outreach to the communities that are hesitant to donate to provide education and support so that they come to this decision on their own.

57 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

state should do a lot more outreach to the communities that are hesitant to donate to provide education and support so that they come to this decision on their own.

@Orchids&Dragons

condolences on the loss of your brother😞

timely discussion for me

need a kidney - anyone interested LOL

no match within family - it will happen one day

i have been on peritoneal dialysis since July 2018

this means that i have dialysis 9 hour at night

while i sleep - doesn't hurt too much - i have a

catheter in my little tummy that gets "hook" up to me

gets connected to a small machine - size of a fax machine

so not too bad - i am on the list for a new kidney

any givers LOL - not really asking you guys, one day

it will happen - feel sorry for myself periodically

i weigh 105 lbs less than i did 7 years - so that is

beneficial

that's my story and i'm stickin to it!!

kathy

1 hour ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Our family has been on the registry for years, and one of my sons donated stem cells a few months ago. I was extremely proud of him. However, I can't agree with this statement. While the deceased does not "need" their organs, it is not up to the state to inflict further suffering on the families to provide a benefit to someone they don't even know. Instead, the state should do a lot more outreach to the communities that are hesitant to donate to provide education and support so that they come to this decision on their own.

Agree. As a nurse of course I hope to see everyone be willing to donate.

As a person, people shouldn’t be forced. What if it against their religion? All kinds of problems here.

15 minutes ago, proudgrammy said:

timely discussion for me

Condolences to 2shea. It was her brother who passed. Although my father-in-law passed a few years ago waiting for a liver transplant.

Kathy, so sorry to hear about your kidneys. It's amazing that they can do dialysis at night now, though. I hope a transplant becomes available soon.

@Shea

oooos i said @Orchids&Dragons in error

25 days or 25 years - hard to forget

yes Celebrate his life

kathy

Sorry for your loss. Glad to say that I have been an Organ Donor for years.

7 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I did not say that people should be forced to donate , I said the system should be opt out rather than opt in, it is a system they use in a number of european countries and i believe it makes a difference. There are a lot of people that would happily donate their organs but they have never got around to putting themselves on the register.

Also if I am on the register my family should not have the power to say no, the decision belongs to the donor not someone else

6 hours ago, proudgrammy said:

@Orchids&Dragons

timely discussion for me

need a kidney - anyone interested LOL

no match within family - it will happen one day

i have been on peritoneal dialysis since July 2018

this means that i have dialysis 9 hour at night

while i sleep - doesn't hurt too much - i have a

catheter in my little tummy that gets "hook" up to me

gets connected to a small machine - size of a fax machine

so not too bad - i am on the list for a new kidney

any givers LOL - not really asking you guys, one day

it will happen - feel sorry for myself periodically

i weigh 105 lbs less than i did 7 years - so that is

beneficial

that's my story and i'm stickin to it!!

kathy

I have a friend that could be your “ twin”. She has PKD. Neither kidney is functioning and one was removed recently. She is also on nightly PD but is considering having to move to HD as she is still very swollen and full of excess Fluid

Today is 12 years since my daughter died (at age 17) in a car accident. She died as the scene so she couldn’t be an organ donor, but I have been registered as one since before she died. Hugs to you!!

On 11/16/2018 at 16:42, CyndieRI said:

Today is 12 years since my daughter died (at age 17) in a car accident. She died as the scene so she couldn’t be an organ donor, but I have been registered as one since before she died. Hugs to you!!
BTW - I was heavy when she died - but gained about 90lbs after. It was easy to “eat away” some of the grief. She would be so proud of me now - I’m down 63lbs since my highest weight and 25 since my sleeve on 10/10/18!