Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What makes you believe that you are not ready?

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well it is a Big Life-Changing incident to come in your Life. That said You have come so very very far, don't get the whim-wahs, of you postpone you may regret it, regret can eat you up inside. I have ate Regret Stew several times in my life, not a very satisfying meal. Learn from ME😭 Please.

You are nervous and scared and you want to have one last thanksgiving and christmas

Do you feel you haven't lost enough weight on the pre-op or liver shrinking diet? If that's the case reach out to your doctor or dietician see if they have any suggestions that may help you.

If you don't feel mentally or emotionally ready perhaps reach out to a counsellor.

If you're not ready, i support your decision to postpone. Don't do it feeling unprepared, surgery is only a few hours, it's the journey after that last a lifetime.

But maybe you've been psyching yourself out since you had to start the liquid diet?

Either way when you are truly ready you'll know because you'll do ANYTHING to get to the other side.

Safe Journey!

6 hours ago, elcee said:

You are nervous and scared and you want to have one last thanksgiving and christmas

If this is the reason why then you are not ready.

It is hard to give you insight on what you are thinking because you didn’t really elaborate as to why you wanted to postpone the surgery.

Being afraid of say the anesthesia or some pain after is normal pre surgery jitters.

If there are other reasons like those mentioned above then reach out to your team.

I agree with GreenTea, most of us would have done anything for the surgery. I was on a liquid diet for thanksgiving last year and had my surgery three weeks before Christmas. It’s a tough time.

Good luck.

You have to tell us a little more. I know you posted about struggling with the pre-op diet. If that is the reason, talk to your surgeon. Pre-op and post-op are totally different struggles. I don't think anyone should have a major life-changing surgery without being sure, but how can you ever be totally sure? I was fine for months and then a few days before I freaked out completely, crying non-stop. I was terrified. I did it anyway because I realized that the worst fear I had was dying, and that I had a lot more risk of dying of obesity than I did from surgery. I also realized that I had spent six months going to doctors, getting weigh-ins, having countless tests and procedures, and since I have been contemplating this surgery for 15 years, the thought of it wasn't going to go away, and I would only have to do all that over again.

Sit back and really think about the reason you want to postpone. I know you have been struggling with the pre op diet and thinking you werent going to have enough time. Please know that this decision to have the surgery is a lifetime committment, not just a few months. You need to be sure you are truly ready to make the change, when that happens, you wont second guess your decision. You might have a few fears, but the decision will be firm.

In my case, I wanted this surgery in 2004.. I did the weight loss diet supervised and all that, then one of my employees was in a motorcycle accident in November and i postponed it. Christmas came, and I got promoted and my boss asked me to wait till end of 1st quarter.. i did. Unfortunately effective Jan 2005.. The insurance no longer covered it. I was out of luck. Today.. I am financially able to be a self pay and decided to do it. Once that decision was made. I quit smoking the next day, because my surgeon required 30 days smoke free before he would do surgery. That decision was made Sept 21, 2018. My first Appt for a consult after doing all my research was on Oct 3rd. Pre ops done Oct 10th, Oct 25 started my liquid diet, and November 8th I was sleeved. I do not regret my decision and never faltered along the way once the decision was made, and i did what i needed to do to accomplish the task.

Of course i thought about eating during the pre op diet, but i didnt cave in. You really need to assess your true reasons for postponing. My guess, is your not ready to break your relationship with food because you want to wait until after the holidays. If it was a question of the pre op diet, you would postpone a week or so instead.

Think about if you are ready to make the lifetime commitment. If so, There is always another Thanksgiving and Christmas and you can always make something to suit your diet needs at the time to fit in.. the holidays after all are about spending time with family, not necessarily what we are going to eat, though it can be a part if it. If the answer is that you are not ready to make the commitment, then postpone is not the word i would use, I would suggest cancelling it until you are ready and feel you can keep to the commitment.

This surgery is a big investment in yourself and only you can know if you are truly ready to invest in yourself at this time. If the answer is yes, then it is totally worth it on the other side.

Good Luck to you whatever you decide!

Bro- I went through the classes last year. I wanted surgery last year. But I had some doubts and I had ZERO family support. I wasn't where I needed to be. I had a defining moment this past September and I called up, got scheduled and I'm good to go. I think you do have to be in the proper mindset.

If you are postponing because you feel ambivalent, read these boards and look at the successes and read the bad stuff too.

If you truly feel unready, then step back, reassess and approach when you are. But I kid you not, with very few exceptions, every person on her has said they are SO glad they did it and wish they had done it sooner.

My best to you!

Looking back I had a bit of a freak out before my bypass, even though I've already been down the bariatric surgery route before (with a lapband in 2009).

Now, a month later things are so much better and I really do wish I'd done this years ago.

But, the Irish have a saying: "what's for you, won't pass you by". If now is the right time, you will get through this difficult stage, but if you're just not ready, then take a breather and reassess why you want /need the surgery, and if you're ready to change your relationship with food and with your body.

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app