Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s the skinny on “excessively malodorous flatulence”?

Ok, bypass people...I’m reading a lot lately and have found quite a bit of info out there suggesting that bypass, for some people, causes pretty catastrophic, uncontrollable, very smelly gas. Anyone wish to enlighten us on this? I haven’t had surgery yet, but the thought of sitting in my own fart cloud all day or having one squeak out in the middle of a department meeting is not my idea of a good time...😟

Here’s one I just read: https://www.obesityaction.org/community/article-library/pull-my-finger-a-mostly-polite-look-at-intestinal-gas-for-post-weight-loss-surgery-patients/

Edited by Kimmie K

10 hours ago, Kimmie K said:

Ok, bypass people...I’m reading a lot lately and have found quite a bit of info out there suggesting that bypass, for some people, causes pretty catastrophic, uncontrollable, very smelly gas. Anyone wish to enlighten us on this? I haven’t had surgery yet, but the thought of sitting in my own fart cloud all day or having one squeak out in the middle of a department meeting is not my idea of a good time...😟

Here’s one I just read: https://www.obesityaction.org/community/article-library/pull-my-finger-a-mostly-polite-look-at-intestinal-gas-for-post-weight-loss-surgery-patients/

It has to do with microbial changes in your gut bacteria due to the surgery and changes in tract dynamics, the smell goes away for the most part. Sometimes it's nasty, usually when I eat foods I really shouldn't, but typically it gets better as you heal and work through all the diet changes.

Something else to note, after WLS the "Never Trust a Fart" motto is one to live by, I haven't had it happen, but LOTS of folks report Fart+'s happen much more often.

2 hours ago, Matt Z said:

It has to do with microbial changes in your gut bacteria due to the surgery and changes in tract dynamics, the smell goes away for the most part. Sometimes it's nasty, usually when I eat foods I really shouldn't, but typically it gets better as you heal and work through all the diet changes.

Something else to note, after WLS the "Never Trust a Fart" motto is one to live by, I haven't had it happen, but LOTS of folks report Fart+'s happen much more often.

I love your replies to my posts, man! It's a relief to know the issue can subside after a while. That motto holds true for the Keto world too....never trust a keto fart! I'm mostly fartless now though and have been for a while, but if I change my MCT products to a new brand or something, the gurgles can hit unexpectedly. Usually one Imodium will calm it down in about 30 min.

Since you're so helpful, what's your take on pills...literally? How soon, if ever, can someone begin to take capsules or tablets? I take an anti-depressant daily and the tablet is about the size of a piece of couscous, very tiny. Also, I take electrolyte salts in capsule form to ward off kidney issues and muscle cramps from keto. They're your standard size capsule and I'm usually taking 3 at a time twice a day. I also have a liquid electrolye supplement that you can squirt into about anything, but you don't quite get the same dose as the capsules of salts plus it makes your drinks extra salty tasting. For future bariatric Vitamins I'm looking into the Tespo thing for the all in one shot option, but what about everything else?

I've never had problems with this, although I know some people do. I wonder if part of it might be due to too many carbs or sugar alcohols - I know the latter, at least, are tough on some people's GI tracts.

40 minutes ago, Kimmie K said:

I love your replies to my posts, man! It's a relief to know the issue can subside after a while. That motto holds true for the Keto world too....never trust a keto fart! I'm mostly fartless now though and have been for a while, but if I change my MCT products to a new brand or something, the gurgles can hit unexpectedly. Usually one Imodium will calm it down in about 30 min.

Since you're so helpful, what's your take on pills...literally? How soon, if ever, can someone begin to take capsules or tablets? I take an anti-depressant daily and the tablet is about the size of a piece of couscous, very tiny. Also, I take electrolyte salts in capsule form to ward off kidney issues and muscle cramps from keto. They're your standard size capsule and I'm usually taking 3 at a time twice a day. I also have a liquid electrolye supplement that you can squirt into about anything, but you don't quite get the same dose as the capsules of salts plus it makes your drinks extra salty tasting. For future bariatric Vitamins I'm looking into the Tespo thing for the all in one shot option, but what about everything else?

At first they told us to avoid anything gel capped (since it can get attached and stuck to your pouch) and to keep all pills smaller than an M&M. About a month in or so I was able to tolerate standard sized pills, around the 2 month I was downing several at once. I can take like 4 normal sized pills at a time with no issues. I use the Patches for my Vitamins.

Just now, Matt Z said:

At first they told us to avoid anything gel capped (since it can get attached and stuck to your pouch) and to keep all pills smaller than an M&M. About a month in or so I was able to tolerate standard sized pills, around the 2 month I was downing several at once. I can take like 4 normal sized pills at a time with no issues. I use the Patches for my Vitamins.

I'm noting everything you say :P vitamin patches are a new thing for me. Never knew something like that existed until coming back to these forums. Are you using the ones that BP sells?

1 minute ago, Kimmie K said:

I'm noting everything you say :P vitamin patches are a new thing for me. Never knew something like that existed until coming back to these forums. Are you using the ones that BP sells?

They are SUPER controversial due to lack of "proper" studies, but after discussing them with EVERYONE on my medical team, I was approved and they have been working quite well (for me). I'm using PatchMD Patches, which yes, are the ones BP sells in their store.

Yup It's real, but it gets better with time and management. Management equates to mostly avoiding Gluten and other carbs. You may discover other 'stink bomb' foods as well - avocado for me - so there's a bit of trial and error for the first few months.

The good news for me is that most of the bad stuff happened at night; during the day at work I was mostly fine. I do carry Poo-porrie in my backpack just in case though...

I had surgery 15 days ago and barely had any gas at all. Virtually none. And neither it, nor my poos, have any odor.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

13 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I had surgery 15 days ago and barely had any gas at all. Virtually none. And neither it, nor my poos, have any odor.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I aspire for my future poos and pook pooks to be like yours LOLOLOL I've been Keto so long that I just about never have gas anyway. Hopefully that way of eating has paved a stink free path for the future :D

I do get some gas but I don’t think it’s worse than anyone else. I feel that since surgery the bowel movements have a bit of a stranger odor due to the re routing of the intestinal tract.
Some of the bowel issues you may or may not face may be based on what you experience now.
I’ve never farted and pooped myself but have read about it here a few times, but I tend to be more constipated.
Everyone is different and it’s tough to predict what your outcome will be until after surgery.

I could fart on demand pre-surgery, always had a full tank. But now it is extremely rare. I'm 3.5 months post-op.

I still stick mostly to yogurt and Protein shakes... Other foods still give me a stomach ache.

I may try a Brussel sprout or two at Thanksgiving tomorrow, wish me luck!

(now burps, those are still frequent if I eat too quickly)

Rather have 💩than Flatus, don't eat enough to keep #2 rolling. This reminds Me, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy MoM, guess where I may be in between Turkey Checks? Yep, worshipping at the Porcelain Throne. 😧💩😧

One of my surprise delights about this surgery - WAY less farting that when I was fat! And way less smelly, when one does make an appearance. With exceptions - like some others have said, certain foods seem to affect me.

As to fart+ - or, as I think of it, fart-with-follow-through - yep, from time to time that is a reality, especially for me when I am eating out of routine. But if I am in routine, no problems...

BiddyNZ you,know, you are correct. I dont produce the flatus I once did. Maybe it's just because I have so many troubles concurrently, but what little gas I have I burp, belch and,puke out, it never makes it down to my"rumble seat" area. But you did bring up a GOOD POINT!