Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to the My 600lb life thing...I saw these today and nearly died! They’re just plain little spiral bound journals 😂

https://www.redbubble.com/people/splendorittrash/works/34608386-dr-now-my-600-lb-life?carousel_pos=1&p=spiral-notebook&ref=work_carousel_work_recommendation&ref_id=31656133

61FB5D73-F618-4D58-A5E1-E8C95834319A.jpeg

BBEBF712-7F51-4E47-9985-E35EA10F6417.jpeg

66BCECBF-28B2-4A81-9291-DB1B34C726D7.jpeg

I don't like that guy. He comes across as harsh and mean. I am the kind of person who handles "tough love" by curling into a ball in my bed and hiding, feeling a painful mix of hopless, guilty, angry, incompetent, and resentful. I then seek something to take the edge off my emotional pain and down out my feelings. It makes me wanna curl up and hide, and lash out and scream at the same time.

If you wanna help me lose weight you don't say, "look at you, you fat failure! You're gonna die if you don't get your eating under control!"

Instead, you say, 'Hey, I'm going hiking on Saturday, you wanna come?"
Or you say, "I know how busy you are, so I made you a skinless boneless chicken and veggie stir fry so you don't have to cook."
Or you say, "I'm doing a whole 30 and am looking for someone to do it with me"
Or, "I am starting a walking group"
Or, "You know what I do when I feel aweful? Yoga. Wanna come with me to my next class?"
Or even, "How can I help?"

If you aren't willing to help me, that's fine, I am not your responsibility, but then stay out of it!
I have been attacked for my weight my whole life, sometimes physically. I had to change schools 4 times for bullying in elementary.
I can't stand it when doctors take a "tough love" stance with their patience.

Education is one thing. But I see him go beyond education to blame.

I want a doctor like Reeger from weightloss sugury podcast. She knows how to give it to you strait without accusing you.

I can't watch those shows because one of the few times I did, the guy died from a heart attack before he could have surgery. Heartbreaking.

21 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

I can't watch those shows because one of the few times I did, the guy died from a heart attack before he could have surgery. Heartbreaking.

Oh no! How sad!

The ones I have seen have had happy endings. I actually wondered if they scrapped the episode if they die on the operating table because sad endings don't make for good tv.

...I guess they don't

Edited by Medowsweet

21 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

Yep I remember that one. Dude's name was Robert. He was barely 40 years old too. That's literally the only episode out of the many seasons that happened that way. The best ones are the "Where are they now?" episodes where you get to see a good amount of the folks from the previous seasons after they've lost a ton of weight and all the struggles and successes they had after the 1st show they were on. There were a couple few folks that ended up dying after their shows aired. That's just life though, unfortunately.

45 minutes ago, Medowsweet said:

Another weightloss show I like I "fat doctor" from BBC

Ooh! I'll have to look that up!

I just found a series of shows on Netflix called "The Big Ward". Here's the linky https://www.netflix.com/title/80224358 12 episodes, looks like it's based in New Zealand.

Another good one on TLC is called "Skin Tight". You can watch it here https://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/skin-tight/

image.png.55d89bba4dde963ea13a1a93b29d5b25.png

16 minutes ago, MassMom said:

Love 600 pound life. Also on YouTube- secret eaters, fat families and supersize vs super skinny. I watch on treadmill.

OOoh!!! Looking for those now! These shows are what keep me on track.

I started watching 600-lb life about a year ago and believe it or not, the re-runs of the Asanti family were the first ones I watched. I was already pretty deep into the pre-op process at that point and was absolutely fascinated. I watched them faithfully until I was about 3 months post-op. I watched them because I felt that by watching, it would help motivate me to stay on track. They did, to a degree, but I just couldn't stand watching these poor souls anymore.

As someone said in an earlier post, there were so many common threads like abuse. Sexual abuse, physical and emotional abuse. Then there were those who had substance abuse problems.

I also felt like the show kind of edited things to make you react. Of course, you have Dr. N's tirades at non-compliant patients. But, the biggest thing for me was that I just could not watch them eat. The show always showed them stuffing themselves. Heck, one girl ordered pizza right after her family left and had a Domino's pizza feast to herself: med/large pizza, garlic knots, cookie pizza. The entire bed in her apartment was covered in food. And what about the chick who was performing sexual favors for her boyfriend/partner so he'd bring her junk food? Even when she was in the hospital, on a monitored diet! I just had to stop watching. It became a negative reinforcer and I wanted positivity in my life.