Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I still eat Keto/LCHF after RNY or sleeve?

Hey folks...I’m still in the very early stages of preparing for a possible RNY in a couple months and have tons of questions. First being...can I still Keto?

For the past year and half, I’ve been following a strict ketogenic/LCHF diet. No sugar, no fruit, grains, bread, very low carb. Mostly high fat dairy, fatty meats and other Protein sources. Basically avoiding anything natural or unnatural that spikes blood sugar or insulin (I’m not diabetic, that’s just what keto is about)

I had to train myself to get used to that and eating high fat everything, fat in my coffee, MCT oil and powder, electrolyte supplement pills, collagen peptide supplements, etc. I’m pretty sure after RNY, keto will be a thing of the past and that kinda makes me sad. It has been a great way of eating for me, I’ve lost weight (just not enough) and I feel great on it and don’t want to abandon eating this way. Are there any post-op Ketonians here that can ease my mind?

2 minutes ago, Kimmie K said:

Hey folks...I’m still in the very early stages of preparing for a possible RNY in a couple months and have tons of questions. First being...can I still Keto?

For the past year and half, I’ve been following a strict ketogenic/LCHF diet. No sugar, no fruit, grains, bread, very low carb. Mostly high fat dairy, fatty meats and other Protein sources. Basically avoiding anything natural or unnatural that spikes blood sugar or insulin (I’m not diabetic, that’s just what keto is about)

I had to train myself to get used to that and eating high fat everything, fat in my coffee, MCT oil and powder, electrolyte supplement pills, collagen peptide supplements, etc. I’m pretty sure after RNY, keto will be a thing of the past and that kinda makes me sad. It has been a great way of eating for me, I’ve lost weight (just not enough) and I feel great on it and don’t want to abandon eating this way. Are there any post-op Ketonians here that can ease my mind?

Only issue might depend on you, some can't deal with high fat foods, me, no issues at all with keto diet or high fats.

You can definitely do Keto, but it might not be especially high fat for a while--most bariatric nutritionists seem to favor a low-fat, low-carb diet for new patients.

And very few people get through the first few weeks without something artificial. (I relied on sugar-free Jello, sugar-free popsicles, and SO MANY Protein SHAKES.) If you're really dedicated, though, you could probably minimize most of that. For instance, Eggface suggests "double milk" (1 cup Milk mixed with 1/3 cup Nonfat Dry Milk Powder = 16 grams of protein per 8 oz. serving) as one option.

Most plans won't force you to eat Beans or fruit or high-carb veggies, though; the focus is very much on protein sources, mostly animal-based ones.

If you're worried about dumping from high-fat keto, you might consider discussing the option of the sleeve instead of the bypass with your surgical team. (There are people with sleeves who experience dumping, but it's pretty rare.) But like Matt said, not everyone who goes bypass has a dumping problem from fat, either.

I'm post RNY. Am a long term low carber in ketosis for a long time.

As @Matt Z and @CrankyMagpie shared, it is possible. I am definitely in ketosis. I am still low carb rather than calling me a Keto girl. I do have to do low-er fat in order not to have bad reactions. If I eat too richly (too much fat/too much cheese) then I will get horribly nauseated and feel like I'm so ill.

But I routinely eat between 40-55% fat on some days and am fine. You'd be surprised how little extra fat that represents, once you factor in the need to stay at your personal present "protein adequate level" and reduce your carbs to 20g net carbs (or total carbs) per day. I personally aim for a loose average of 30g net carbs per day mostly from leafy greens, low glycemic veggies, berries, seeds/nuts, eggs, dairy and eat very very few sugar alcohols. I do use some small amounts of liquid stevia drops.

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm post RNY. Am a long term low carber in ketosis for a long time.

As @Matt Z and @CrankyMagpie shared, it is possible. I am definitely in ketosis. I am still low carb rather than calling me a Keto girl. I do have to do low-er fat in order not to have bad reactions. If I eat too richly (too much fat/too much cheese) then I will get horribly nauseated and feel like I'm so ill.

But I routinely eat between 40-55% fat on some days and am fine. You'd be surprised how little extra fat that represents, once you factor in the need to stay at your personal present "protein adequate level" and reduce your carbs to 20g net carbs (or total carbs) per day. I personally aim for a loose average of 30g net carbs per day mostly from leafy greens, low glycemic veggies, berries, seeds/nuts, eggs, dairy and eat very very few sugar alcohols. I do use some small amounts of liquid stevia drops.

That's SO great to hear! I know getting back the point I'm at now will take time, but it's certainly reassuring that it's OK to try. Thanks for sharing :91_thumbsup: