Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im scheduled for sleeve surgery end of Dec. Ive watched several videos from sleevers and will ask my surgeon this at my pre op appt in a few weeks, and this might sound foolish, but since we have to wait a half hour to drink after eating and can only SIP not gulp Water (for life), if we choose less expensive Vitamins over chewables forms, do we just sip the water when we take the Vitamin? Or is it a couple of sips with each vitamin pill? And we are to drink 64 oz of water a day and thats sipping only, a half hour after meals. So is a cup of coffee Im seeing sleevers have, with a pure Protein Shake as an option for a Protein liquid Breakfast (when they dont want a solid once out of pureed stage), taking hours to finish b/c of sipping? I take vitamins now and know the feeling of taking them without food to attach to. I certainly dont want to make myself sick (esp at work in my office for 9 hours a day) taking vitamins (in pill form) with only one sip of water and no solid food to attach to. Your feedback is appreciated😊

Generally immediately post op you are told no pills bigger than an m&m...i think my nutritionist gave an ok for larger pills around 1 month out. Also as you move farther from surgery you can drink more normally, not just tiny sips. I personally would consider a small drink to take pills/vitamins with food ok...just not having a full on drink with the meal. Alternatively you could possibly take the Vitamins 30 min or so after the meal-when it is ok to drink again, but you still have some food in your stomach.

My surgeon told me to wait two weeks before taking Vitamins. Although I have the bypass not the sleeve.

4 hours ago, ZionGirl said:

Im scheduled for sleeve surgery end of Dec. Ive watched several videos from sleevers and will ask my surgeon this at my pre op appt in a few weeks, and this might sound foolish, but since we have to wait a half hour to drink after eating and can only SIP not gulp Water (for life), if we choose less expensive Vitamins over chewables forms, do we just sip the Water when we take the Vitamin? Or is it a couple of sips with each Vitamin pill? And we are to drink 64 oz of water a day and thats sipping only, a half hour after meals. So is a cup of coffee Im seeing sleevers have, with a pure Protein Shake as an option for a Protein liquid Breakfast (when they dont want a solid once out of pureed stage), taking hours to finish b/c of sipping? I take Vitamins now and know the feeling of taking them without food to attach to. I certainly dont want to make myself sick (esp at work in my office for 9 hours a day) taking vitamins (in pill form) with only one sip of water and no solid food to attach to. Your feedback is appreciated😊

Every doctor gives out different information. It's a bit frustrating. You will be able to drink more than just a sip of water at a time down the road, you really should be trying to get to 128 oz of water a day, as per current medical research. You'll be able to down all your pills at once with water at some point (more than likely). Pretty much post op you'll want to keep things small and limited to prevent issues with healing, once healed you are working to try to limit how much you stretch your pouch, I say limit and not prevent, because never stretching the pouch/sleeve is almost impossible. Once you are healed, you'll find that a LOT of what they told you that you'd never be able to do... you can. This is where the will power is going to step in over all the restriction you had while healing. Things will start to feel "normal" and you'll be able to eat more and certainly drink a lot more. So, up front, follow your doctors orders, just understand that, down the road you'll be able to change things up, you *will not* be sipping slowly for the rest of your life. That's pretty much a given.

I'm 7 months post op and my dr doesn't want me swallowing any pill unless it's Bariatric formulate Vitamins. However, I can't stand the taste of multi's and I've tried chewables and flavored ones. I do like the Bari Life powdered formula you can mix with Water. There's no after taste. But like matt said, you will eventually be able to swallow water without sips. It takes me no time to finish my first cup of coffee in the mornings and then I sip to enjoy it but also drink plenty of water. Sipping in the beginning helps you from overdoing it and making yourself sick.

I also think there will be time available but sipping is great. I am 6 days post op and for the last 2 days, i have all my liquid in before i leave work. I believe its because from the minute i walk through the door to the minute i leave work at 5, i am constantly sipping. Once i complete my 64 ounces, everything else is bonus. It also helps that i am drinking Protein Shakes, so that also counts as liquids for lunch and dinner, but it gives me a good feeling that i dont have to contstantly sip in the evenings. I can go home, have my Protein Drink for dinner (usually takes an our for 11 ounces) and then relax. If i am then thirsty i can get something to drink or a sf popsicle for a snack and not feel like i am way over doing it.

On 11/14/2018 at 06:06, Matt Z said:

Every doctor gives out different information. It's a bit frustrating. You will be able to drink more than just a sip of Water at a time down the road, you really should be trying to get to 128 oz of water a day, as per current medical research. You'll be able to down all your pills at once with water at some point (more than likely). Pretty much post op you'll want to keep things small and limited to prevent issues with healing, once healed you are working to try to limit how much you stretch your pouch, I say limit and not prevent, because never stretching the pouch/sleeve is almost impossible. Once you are healed, you'll find that a LOT of what they told you that you'd never be able to do... you can. This is where the will power is going to step in over all the restriction you had while healing. Things will start to feel "normal" and you'll be able to eat more and certainly drink a lot more. So, up front, follow your doctors orders, just understand that, down the road you'll be able to change things up, you *will not* be sipping slowly for the rest of your life. That's pretty much a given.

I still take big drinks of water but hold it in my mouth and release it slowly in my throat. I’m not into small sips as I’ve always chugged liquids. I had to learn this the hard way, but everything I have read says that you can’t stretch your pouch from liquids. Vitamins at 6 months out can be taken in one swallow but again I had to learn this the hard way. It took me over a month after bypass to be able to drink more than a sip at a time.

I’m 5 days post op gastric bypass. Sips of Water is recommended not gulping. I have to take regular medications in addition to Vitamins and I just sip sip. Meaning no pig gulps. If pill doesn’t go down first sip take another. Maybe try a bite or 2 of Jello for the “food” you need for vitamins. Plus your body changes after surgery and you may not feel sick with the no food and taking vitamins.

Good luck