Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are you all handling Thanksgiving? I will be on thin purees and I have decided to fake the flu and not attend. I have not disclosed my surgery to anyone except husband and mom, and faking it is going to be too hard two weeks out. I think I will host Christmas so I can ensure that there is something suitable for me to eat and also be able to keep busy and people won't notice how much I'm eating.

9 minutes ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

How are you all handling Thanksgiving? I will be on thin purees and I have decided to fake the flu and not attend. I have not disclosed my surgery to anyone except husband and mom, and faking it is going to be too hard two weeks out. I think I will host Christmas so I can ensure that there is something suitable for me to eat and also be able to keep busy and people won't notice how much I'm eating.

I had my band installed before thanksgiving. I just pureed up some turkey, corn and potatoes with some gravy and it was good to go. Given your situation where you haven't told your family... you'll need to get creative. Good luck!

I think we all have to do what we have to do to get through holidays. One person's celebration, is another person's hell.

I look forward to being with family and celebrating seeing each other and having fun together. I am able to cook for others without eating that same stuff.

My fam all knew about my surgery--but they know it is private and something not to be discussed outside the fam. Last year I was eating very small amounts in preparation for surgery--trying to lose weight. This year, we will spend with my brother and his fam and he cooks with gobs of fat and carbs. LOL.

So my game plan is to bring their requested Friday dinn and bring my own turkey chili for me with a salad. And on Thanksgiving, I will have turkey, and some salad and a bite of his dressing and broccoli and be done with it. :)

Oh and if I was on thin purees, I'd make the most delicious pumpkin or butternut squash Soup with fresh sage and rosemary and spices and thin it down with Bone Broth or Fairlife FF milk to my desired consistency and enjoy it! With my pumpkin spice Protein lattees! :)

It will be pretty hard to get through dinner without anybody noticing. If you don’t want anyone questioning you maybe the flu is a good plan? Pretty hard to hide when your only on purées. Good luck!

Or fix something healthy everyone else can also eat. If all else fails , claim to be recovering from stomach issues, it's only a Gray lie after all!

I wouldn't feel right lying to my family, but if that's what you think is right for you, then go for it. I have never kept my surgery a secret, although, I see why people would. Since I am farther out now, I will just eat what is there, but I will only be able to eat a bite of each thing.

My grandma passed away the week after my surgery, and people brought us SO MUCH food. I just sat with my family and drank my Protein Shakes while they ate. It wasn't that big of a deal. I just ate the way that I could, and they ate how they could. What mattered is that we were all together.

3 minutes ago, FancyChristine15 said:

I wouldn't feel right lying to my family, but if that's what you think is right for you, then go for it. I have never kept my surgery a secret, although, I see why people would. Since I am farther out now, I will just eat what is there, but I will only be able to eat a bite of each thing.

My grandma passed away the week after my surgery, and people brought us SO MUCH food. I just sat with my family and drank my Protein Shakes while they ate. It wasn't that big of a deal. I just ate the way that I could, and they ate how they could. What mattered is that we were all together.

Sadly there are several negative people in my family that are extremely judgemental about obesity and weight loss surgery, and I don't need that sort of negativity right now, that's why I have kept this to myself. They have never struggled with food issues and have no empathy for those that do.

1 hour ago, Swanton_Bomb said:

Nooooo

Tell them you are sick and ask if they can make you Soup. The best butternut or pumpkin bisques ever happen around this time. You won't miss anything else!

Edited by GreenTealael

I feel like there should be a challenge: If you can wrap it in turkey breast you can have it. Lol

There are so many diabetic and Keto friendly recipes out there now, I think this shouldn't be a major problem if anyone really really really wants to participate. Prep and bring you own foods, mostly eat those, force people to try your recipes, taste a few regular foods. Live life.

And after Thanksgivings , Canadian last month, US this month, comes Christmas,🎅🎁 Chanukah 🎍and New Years.🎉🎊🎋 Anybody starting to make those plans too?

I am six months out and won’t have any problems. I can’t imagine doing thanksgiving 2 weeks out.

Much luck to you!

2 hours ago, FancyChristine15 said:

There are all kinds of families. Not everyone is kind or respectful toward other family members. Swanton_Bomb knows her family (we do not), and she has decided what is best for her. In an ideal world, it's true that lying is not "right", but in an ideal world, a family wouldn't unfairly judge or belittle another family member either. I can only imagine Swanton_Bomb's predicament. I hope you have a speedy recovery from your flu:)!

Yeah you have a very valid point, a high % age of mine I would not have as friends, but family, you either want to hug them to death or pound them to a pulp. Not many middle ground in my two sides. I am just glad the cousins who told me to kill myself have now predeceased me, now I still have a batch that think I'm too fat and a bunch that think I'm ugly because I don't share their amount,of pigmentation. Not my fault I am fair, red-headed and can't tan, those are my Daddy's side, I take more after mama's except I look more and more like my paternal grandmother, just a different color palette. Oh que sera, sera!