Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week out, down 9 lbs., Very weak!

I'm 1 will out from surgery. I'm doing well except I'm very weak. My surgeon said only eat if hungry. I'm never hungry! I eat yogurt, protien enhanced Jello, Protein Shakes and strained Soup. Was just able to drink Water today without pain. Loosing 9 lbs in a week seems extreme. I just have no appetite! Is anyone else having this issue?

You've had a sleeve, you are unlikely to feel hungry for a quite a while as the part of the stomach that was removed produces the hunger hormone, grehlin, has been removed.

Please check with your doctor and/or dietician that you understood the instructions correctly.

Sounds like you need to be eating more if you are feeling weak its obvious your body needs more nutrition even if you aren't feeling hungry and do make sure you are getting plenty of fluids.

6 hours ago, Ladyhawkhere said:

I'm 1 will out from surgery. I'm doing well except I'm very weak. My surgeon said only eat if hungry. I'm never hungry! I eat yogurt, protien enhanced Jello, Protein Shakes and strained Soup. Was just able to drink Water today without pain. Loosing 9 lbs in a week seems extreme. I just have no appetite! Is anyone else having this issue?

This is crazy, we were told to consume 1 oz of puree's on a set schedule. The weakness is more than likely from lack of Water, do your best to work on getting that amount increased as best as possible, always stop if something hurts! Push the Proteins first too, stick with it and be careful!

1 hour ago, 2shea said:

You've had a sleeve, you are unlikely to feel hungry for a quite a while as the part of the stomach that was removed produces the hunger hormone, grehlin, has been removed.

Please check with your doctor and/or dietician that you understood the instructions correctly.

Sounds like you need to be eating more if you are feeling weak its obvious your body needs more nutrition even if you aren't feeling hungry and do make sure you are getting plenty of fluids.

This is incorrect and is based on incomplete research. The *thought* is that grehlin controls hunger, but it's still something that's being worked out. There are people that never lose their hunger sensations, no matter which WLS they have had, So, Most lose it and have it return within a year, Some never lose it at all and only a rare few lose it and never get it back.

7 hours ago, Ladyhawkhere said:

I think everybody is different. I was sleeved on Thursday the 8th. It will be a week in 2 days. I am currently down 9 but i was also up almost 14 since surgery due to gas and liquids. For me to be back at the same weight i went into surgery i need to drop another 4 pounds, and then i can count loss from there. I am not too worried about it and everybody loses differently. I am just glad that i am mobile, was able to return to work and have had virtually no pain since i woke up from surgery. I do have the gas issues, and pressure but each day it is getting better and that is what is important.

Now, you said you were weak. That is very concerning. You also said your doctor said to only eat if hungry. Also concerning, and maybe a misunderstanding. I do think you will need to get all your liquids in even if not hungry so you stay hydrated and don't end back up in the hospital for hydration. I have found that constant sipping every few min for now has allowed me to reach my daily goal for the first time yesterday. That will be my plan, because then once i am over goal and such by 8 pm i can lay off the liquids lol unless i am thirsty.

I recommend reaching back out to your team to clarify the instructions, and do all that you can to keep hydrated so you don't get sick.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say you are weak? I am now 2 months out, and feel better than I have in years. In the first couple of weeks though, I was weak. I felt like it was more my body recouping from surgery. I didn’t feel myself for quite a while. As for the hunger, I still don’t get hungry, and have been told by many this is the hardest thing, remembering to eat. Keep forcing the Protein. I found it very easy reaching my daily protein goals using genpro Protein Powder. 30 grams a scoop. Added it to everything and felt my body getting stronger.

At 1 week, I was down 6 pounds, 3 weeks later, I was down 22!

On 11/13/2018 at 12:50 AM, Ladyhawkhere said:

In my experience this is typical. I felt good but week for a couple of weeks. I have low blood pressure and heart rate so my body forced me horizontal a lot. I’m 20 days out and just now feeling stronger.

Make sure you’re hitting your Fluid goal every day and then your Protein. I had to work up to my protein a bit. Protein Water helped me because I have a hard time drinking shakes.

You’re healing from surgery. It takes a lot of energy for your body to do that. I had rapid weight loss in the first 10 days because of it.