Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommended Posts

So I have been saving for a year to get my revision from Band to Bypass at BariatricPal MX. I finally have the funds I need so I reach out to the hospital (which I found was hard to do, unless you want to “chat” online) and I am told my BMI is “too high” for a Bypass but I can do Gastric Sleeve....umm, isn’t Gastric Bypass ideal for patients with high BMI? Particularly more so than a sleeve? Idk y’all, I need help! With my history of acid reflux (&regain) with the Lapband, I’m scared to go to the Sleeve. Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi Steph,

I am showing that you had multiple conversations with Dr. Illan and others at the hospital. Not sure why you’re saying we were hard to reach.

Your BMI is definitely way too high for a bypass and Dr. Illan has repeated this to you multiple times.

The gastric sleeve is safe for your BMI and that’s the only surgery Dr. Illan will perform on you.

We really would love to have you as a patient at BariatricPal Hospital MX but under no circumstances will we put your life at risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And I appreciate that, i do. The reason I say it’s hard to get in contact with anyone is bc when I called, the line kept cutting out every few minutes and when I chatted, the chat would end randomly. It’s just concerning.

But the only reason I question the decision of doing Sleeve rather than Bypass is bc other doctors I’ve spoken to said the amount of weight I need to lose is better done with Gastric Bypass. With the Lapband, I lost 90lbs and gained it all back. I just don’t want that to happen with the Sleeve, and that seems to be a common occurrence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stephanie_dora291 said:

And I appreciate that, i do. The reason I say it’s hard to get in contact with anyone is bc when I called, the line kept cutting out every few minutes and when I chatted, the chat would end randomly. It’s just concerning.

But the only reason I question the decision of doing Sleeve rather than Bypass is bc other doctors I’ve spoken to said the amount of weight I need to lose is better done with Gastric Bypass. With the Lapband, I lost 90lbs and gained it all back. I just don’t want that to happen with the Sleeve, and that seems to be a common occurrence. 

Regain is a common occurrence with any weight loss surgery. I completely understand your reasons for wanting a bypass. Any surgeon that agrees to do a lap band revision to a bypass on a patient that has a super high BMI, is putting that patient at great risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex Brecher said:

Hi Steph,

I am showing that you had multiple conversations with Dr. Illan and others at the hospital. Not sure why you’re saying we were hard to reach.

Your BMI is definitely way too high for a bypass and Dr. Illan has repeated this to you multiple times.

The gastric sleeve is safe for your BMI and that’s the only surgery Dr. Illan will perform on you.

We really would love to have you as a patient at BariatricPal Hospital MX but under no circumstances will we put your life at risk.

Hey Alex,

Not a lawyer here, but have worked with healthcare orgs in the past to stay in-line with regulations. Fairly certain the above is a HIPAA violation. Might want to look into it and make sure any discussion of patient (or potential patient) info remains confidential and 1-on-1, as tempting as it is to publicly defend your hospital.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I know, Steph. I don't think he was speaking out of turn, but HIPAA violations are wild. For instance, if you post a yelp review for a hospital saying like, "I am a patient of Dr Smith and he's a jerk and he did XYZ," the office isn't even allowed to acknowledge you're a patient in their response. Even simply acknowledging you're a patient is a HIPAA violation, even if the patient has already self-identified as such. So yeah, just want Alex to know so he doesn't get himself in hot Water or whatever. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, best of luck to you in whichever path you end up taking, Stephanie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My BMI is/was very high too. It was 57 and my surgeon said I could have either the sleeve or the bypass. I chose the sleeve because I’ve never had GERD and I know the complication rate is slightly less with the sleeve. Good luck with whatever surgery you have!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 11:43, linlew said:





Hey Alex,




Not a lawyer here, but have worked with healthcare orgs in the past to stay in-line with regulations. Fairly certain the above is a HIPAA violation. Might want to look into it and make sure any discussion of patient (or potential patient) info remains confidential and 1-on-1, as tempting as it is to publicly defend your hospital.


I believe Alex is the founder of Bariatric Pal - not an employee of the Doctor. What he said definitely doesn’t violate HIPAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CyndieRI said:
6 hours ago, linlew said:




Hey Alex,


Not a lawyer here, but have worked with healthcare orgs in the past to stay in-line with regulations. Fairly certain the above is a HIPAA violation. Might want to look into it and make sure any discussion of patient (or potential patient) info remains confidential and 1-on-1, as tempting as it is to publicly defend your hospital.

I believe Alex is the founder of Bariatric Pal - not an employee of the Doctor. What he said definitely doesn’t violate HIPAA.

Hey Cyndie,

Thanks for the reply. I'm really just trying to look out for Alex, he seems like a good dude running the show! I know he's not a doc himself, but I also know that from what I've learned, no staff is allowed to share patient info, as innocuous as it may seem, be they front desk or marketing or anyone. For instance, if I tag myself at St. Luke's hospital and say "such a great experience at St. Luke's!" they're not allowed to share that post. If I leave a review, they cannot reply confirming I'm a patient in any way. If I rant on twitter about a doctor, no one is allowed to respond, as much as they'd like to. The laws are strict, just want him to be careful since he's not a healthcare pro and likely didn't have this info repeated to him a million times. Again, not a lawyer, so I could be a bit off here, but I used to work with hospital marketing teams and doctors specifically on managing their reputations online, and these things came up often.

Apologies if I spoke out of turn, just trying to help out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have read of people who have very high BMIs having a temporary option eg balloon until they lose some weight to make them eligible for surgical options. I assume that the very high BMI and associated health complications put's that person at higher risk when undergoing general anaesthetic and the length of time to do the surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am curious about a sleeve being recommended when you have a history of reflux, I have been advised that there is a very high risk of reflux with a sleeve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Right...that was my question too bc I was told bc of my acid reflux history, going to VSG would cause severe GERDS sometimes even leading to gastritis cancer bc of all the acid in the esophagus. But idk, I’m still doing my own research. I know either way I need to have the band removed even if that means no revision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, elcee said:

I am curious about a sleeve being recommended when you have a history of reflux, I have been advised that there is a very high risk of reflux with a sleeve

Perhaps they are considering a two stage approach. BMI too high for the RNY surgery okay for VSG. Once weight is lower have a revision to RNY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • boringtessa

      Thought I'd give an update.  I'm over half way to my goal, which is awesome, and I've lost over 12 inches in my waist!  The weight isn't coming off as quickly as I had hoped, but I am also not exercising and still not getting even close to the amount of water I should be drinking, so slow weight loss is not all that surprising.  Sometimes I'm just "over it" and try to eat huge portions like I used to, but, thankfully, I feel the restriction of my smaller stomach and can't go crazy.  In general, I'm quite good, just trying to live my life.
      I now have a motivation to start exercising, though... I booked a plane ticket to Germany for the end of September, so this is a good chance to get strong, get hydrated, and reach my weight goal.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Liz The New Me

      Wow looking through my own eyes I just don't see 50 lbs done.  I took the side my side picture from 4 months ago to today's and can only see some change.  I hope I can keep loosing.  I just read that the window or the honeymoon stage of weight lost is in the first 4 months after that it will slow down and you have to work even harder to keep it going.  Trying to keep positive even if it is one pound I lost in 2 weeks.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Anniejs

      So I had my surgery on Jan 7th. At this point I haven't eaten anything for 2 weeks am giving myself my injections. I can barely stomach the protein shakes that I am to have twice a day. I have noticed a small weight loss not as much as I thought I would have since I haven't eaten anything. I haven't started working out at the gym yet. I broke in a horrible case of hives from my incisions but have since been cleared up. I didn't really have any nausea from my surgery. I don't even feel like I had surgery. I am sure once I start eating  I will notice. To ask others. I have sleeve surgery so wondering if anyone else out there had this surgery how did you feel after. When did you start eating foods. I am nervous to start eating. I drink my 64oz plus water a day but that's about it that I am taking in other than the occasional sugar free Popsicle.  
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

      #WORTHY

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

      ❤ Have you taken your supplements today? ❤
       
      · 1 reply
      1. Missouri-Lee's Summit

        In the beginning, I was sure that I would go straight to malnutrition hell if I missed even a dose. Turns out, it takes several weeks to months to get yourself in any substantial trouble. My excellent labwork has proven to me that it's not just okay to skip (out of laziness or accidentally) your supplements, but it probably saves you a couple of bucks here and there. Mellow out is my new mantra. Go the best you can with hydration, protein, and your recommended supplements. Trying to live a stress-free life is infinitely more important than your supplements for any given day. (None of this little blabfest was intended for the lovely and ever-knowledgable GT.)

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

    1. How to Tell Your Loved Ones about Weight Loss Surgery

      Posted in: Pre-Op Support
      Alex Brecher
    2. New Year’s Resolutions

      Posted in: Support
      Alex Brecher
    3. Go With Your Gut!

      Posted in: Mental Health
      Louisa Latela, LCSW, LCADC
    4. The Most Wonderful Time of the Year – Really!

      Posted in: Post-Op Support
      Alex Brecher
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×