Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foot 911: What kind of shoes and socks do you wear?

My feet hurt! I've been walking faithfully but I need new shoes. I just bought Thorlo socks which are the best I have found so far for my poor feet but just curious what other socks are out there that are superb? I have men's shoes as I think they are best for my feet, but need new ones, seriously wanting to know what ya'all are/were wearing.

Pain and injury free walking/running. It's worth it to invest in your shoes. I need a good arch and stability. I started with asics. I invested in Brooks and Hoka one one.

Some videos on fitting shoes.

I have nice, lightweight Nike's, but I use inserts in them as well. I have arthritic feet - one of the things I'm hope will be alleviated by dumping some poundage!

I spend my life in Skechers, they are so light and comfy. Only problem is when I go out and get dressed up , then I have to wear real shoes - heels may be pretty but they certainly arent comfy

3 hours ago, skinnylife said:

Pain and injury free walking/running. It's worth it to invest in your shoes. I need a good arch and stability. I started with asics. I invested in Brooks and Hoka one one.

Some videos on fitting shoes.

Thank you so much for this post! I will watch and then go out this weekend, lol. Can't wait to get me some new hooves. :-)

3 hours ago, Myhorseisfattoo said:

I have nice, lightweight Nike's, but I use inserts in them as well. I have arthritic feet - one of the things I'm hope will be alleviated by dumping some poundage!

I haven't tried inserts...wondering if I need them. thanks for your reply.:)

2 hours ago, elcee said:

I spend my life in Skechers, they are so light and comfy. Only problem is when I go out and get dressed up , then I have to wear real shoes - heels may be pretty but they certainly arent comfy

I haven't tried Skechers yet. Did you use them before you lost so much weight? I love/hate heels...look forward to being able to wear them again, though, ironically! ::for an hour,..or much less lol

Its about 9 years ago that I lost the weight and no I didn't wear them so much then. I was still working so I had to wear "work" shoes. Otherwise I wore ballet flats and sandals etc.

Now that I don't work I just find Skechers the easiest most comfortable option. Except in winter and then I wear boots

Bite the bullet and go to a "Good Feet" store for a fitting. They can determine based on your gait what shoe brands will fit you best. It's a little pricey but oh so worth it to find a shoe that snuggles your arch and doesn't slip off the heel when you walk. New Balance, Ascic, Brooks and Saucony are great brands but you need to know which style will fit you best.

I went to a running shoe store in my area to be properly fitted for shoes. I suffer from plantar fasciitis and I was wearing the wrong kind of shoe that just made it worse. You don't have to buy the shoe from the running store. You can take the measurements and find a cheaper pair online.

On 11/9/2018 at 3:20 PM, %^& said:

My feet hurt! I've been walking faithfully but I need new shoes. I just bought Thorlo socks which are the best I have found so far for my poor feet but just curious what other socks are out there that are superb? I have men's shoes as I think they are best for my feet, but need new ones, seriously wanting to know what ya'all are/were wearing.

I wear Asics and have for years. They key is to replace your shoes (every 6 months, yearly, etc. based on the mileage used). Also note that shoe companies continue to tweak the design of the same shoe annually and the ergonomics could change and no longer fit your foot as before.

I agree with those recommending getting an evaluation at a "good foot" or running store. I wish I had. It probably would have saved me a lot of money and suffering.

I suffered with plantar fasciitis for at least 3 years and spent $100s on trying to find shoes that would ease my pain. I even saw a podiatrist who ordered orthotics, which only made me more uncomfortable.

Of the things I tried, here are the things I can remember: Nike, New Balance, Orthaheel, Birkenstocks, online "plantar fasciitis" adjustable inserts, foot rollers, something called "Voodoo bands", kinesio tape, special toe alignment socks, massaging my feet with aspercreme and arnica gels.

What worked for me (aside from losing weight): Merrill MOAB hiking shoes. They're very stable shoes with excellent support. They're not the most fashionable or attractive, but they're functional and I can walk in them forever.image.png.02524ffd7b00cb19ccf67f4d86b101a7.png

Aside from the toe alignment socks, I never tried any special socks and those socks were to be worn in the evening or at night. For socks, I'd say any good cotton sock that offers support would be good.

I highly recommend that you go to a shoe store and get fitted for a pair of Hoka One Ones. My SO got these for me right before surgery and it was the best $140 I ever let him spend on me. I work as an orderly at a hospital. Which means for 12 hours I am moving on hard concrete, pushing beds and walking between 8,000 to 10,000 steps in 7 hours. I use to go home with my feet, knees, and hips hurting, back aching, and I didn't want to move. Not the case anymore! These shoes relieved not only my foot pain, but my knees and hips as well. I just pulled a 14 day stretch of 12 hour shifts and there was no pain for the first time ever!!

hokaoneone.com

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app