Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kettlebells and other ways to tone a bit

So, I went to see my primary the other day and she recommended lifting bar bells and doing squats with bars or kettlebells. My issue is 1. I'm ballin on a budget and can't afford the cheapest gym and 2. there's so much info out there I want opinions from people like me.

Where do I start and what weight do I start with? Something I can use at home or make from home. I know guys in jail hook up something with Water and bags, but how? heck i'd do that. Them guys are swoll. I just want to tone a little.

3 minutes ago, KimTriesRNY said:

There’s nothing wrong with doing body weight exercises. Planks, push-ups, triceps dips, squats, lunges, etc. All of those are equipment free.

It's weird, I crush my right radius and scalphoid about 10 years ago and I can lift weights but putting weight on it, I can feel the bones crunching together. My Dr said resistant bands are good, but weights helps tones better and then she explained it in a very understanding at the time way.

Ask the doc to refer you for PT. Get them to get you a plan. Your insurance should cover it if the doc says you are medically necessary. Then you will have a framework to build upon.

Everything here is useful for making home weights on a budget.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Weight-Set

I also second the suggestion of using resistance bands. I’m sure you could MacGuyver something, but I have this relatively affordable set from Amazon and am very happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/7245456313/

Google can help you identify what to do with them, but this book has also been helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FM5HM0E/

Good luck!

I agree with Fluffy, see if your doc can refer you to physical therapy. PT can give you the basics to get started. If that isn't an option log onto My Fitness Pal. There are daily posts, with videos on correct form, for lunges, squats and lifts that you can do at home. Start with just your body weight. If you want to add weight as you progress (while maintaining good form) you can fill gallon milk jugs with Water or sand. Sounds silly but it is cheap! I'd also check Craig's list for used kettlebells or dumbells. Gym equipment is always one of those things people buy, don't use and have no place to store. Good luck!

When I first began my workout regimen, I started with the weight on my body. I started with air squats and lunges, getting my body used to the movement. This honestly helped me significantly with nailing down my form. You want to make sure your doing the movements correctly before you start adding in higher weights. After about two weeks of keeping the routine, that's when I added in the weights. Youtube is GREAT but do make sure you find someone who is reputable because you can really hurt yourself if you do the movements incorrectly.

1.) I would recommend kettleballs, I honestly enjoy my exercises with these much more than free weights. I have shoulder pain on my left side that makes it hard to lift weight over my head, but the way you hold a kettleball doesn't irritate it at all. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KSK1HT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1. There is a set that comes with the DVD, though to be honest I did not have to use it as I received my instruction directly from a cousin.

2.) Resistance bands are great and inexpensive. They are also versatile. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739ZJJYW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3.) I ordered very basic free weights in 5, 8, and 10lbs. Again with my shoulder, there are a few exercises I struggle with. However I couple my free weights with an exercise ball for some of my workouts and it is great!

I used only those things for the first few months of my training, and still use them to this day in addition to my OTF routine.

thank ya'll so much, especially with the links some gave.

Resistance bands

Sand bags

Go to local machine shop or scrap metal place, they will probably be able to cheaper weld some stuff together. If not they can cut and duct tape does the rest

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

Body weight exercises are going to be the cheapest- no equipment required. There is a good YouTube channel "You are your own gym".

Resistance bands are super cheap at Wal-Mart and can give good workout too.

I made my post-surgery lifestyle a baseline expectation for our household budget because I knew that eventually the surgery DOES stop working and it is ONLY my choices at that point that will amount to longterm success. Good luck!

So, I went to see my primary the other day and she recommended lifting bar bells and doing squats with bars or kettlebells. My issue is 1. I'm ballin on a budget and can't afford the cheapest gym and 2. there's so much info out there I want opinions from people like me.
Where do I start and what weight do I start with? Something I can use at home or make from home. I know guys in jail hook up something with Water and bags, but how? heck i'd do that. Them guys are swoll. I just want to tone a little.
Lol I work in law enforcement... don't do those Water bags... water moves around... so the weight is not distributed evenly. I've seen those things break... the mess is brutal🤬... also... after a while... that "sitting water" smells bad... you can do a lot without equipment. Planks, pushups, sit ups, squats, sprinting up and down your hallway at home. Good luck and be well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app