Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tailoring workout advice requested!

Of all the things I expected to suffer in aesthetics from my surgery, I have to admit I kind of didn’t see my bum turning into this totally flat uninteresting thing! I kid you not LEGGINGS fall down with nothing to hold on to. WTH do I do?!?

I’m running, I’m doing kettleball swings, I do an obscene amount of squats, and I pretty much use lunges as a viable form of transportation. What else can I do to save my poor bum?!? I know time will tone things up but if there are any workouts you guys can think of I’d be super interested in hearing about them!

Literally cannot keep pants up! #saggybottomjeans

Any workout advice would be appreciated!

I am with you. My 2019 new years fitness goal is to try to build a booty. It won't happen overnight. (I have cardio older woman butt) Feel free to start a squat or booty building challenge anytime. I will sign up..lol

Here are a few glute building exercises to take a look at.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/muscle/glutes

I’ll start incorporating them! I like that it will strengthen core too, as that’s an area I want to focus too

LOL in my dreams will I have that problem! Too much junk in my trunk and in my double-barrell slingshot! (:: *cough* bra)

43 minutes ago, Kay07 said:

I’ll start incorporating them! I like that it will strengthen core too, as that’s an area I want to focus too

I have lower back problems so bridges are a good choice for me. However, I come from a long line of noassatalls, so there's only so much to be done ☹️

11 hours ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

I have lower back problems so bridges are a good choice for me. However, I come from a long line of noassatalls, so there's only so much to be done ☹️

I won't lie, I never would have claimed to have had an amazing bum, or anything to inspire poetry, but at least there was something! I kid you not even my workout leggings that are tight as heck highlight that my lower back pretty much goes straight into thighs... LOL

1 minute ago, Kay07 said:

I won't lie, I never would have claimed to have had an amazing bum, or anything to inspire poetry, but at least there was something! I kid you not even my workout leggings that are tight as heck highlight that my lower back pretty much goes straight into thighs... LOL

Yup, I've got nothing but a few skin ripples to indicate where a butt should live!

12 hours ago, Byefat said:

LOL in my dreams will I have that problem! Too much junk in my trunk and in my double-barrell slingshot! (:: *cough* bra)

Yeah my boobs haven't suffered too bad, I am actually quite thankful! I could stand to go down in size though... even at my thinnest was a "34C" (but really a D, but I was in denial). I am actually super excited that I have gone down to a 38DD right now!

20 hours ago, Kay07 said:

I’m running, I’m doing kettleball swings, I do an obscene amount of squats, and I pretty much use lunges as a viable form of transportation.

Running is great for weightloss, but excessive running is catabolic unless you are eating enough to repair the damage being done to the muscle.

As for squats, it is pretty much the standard for building glutes, but if you are just doing air squats with your own body weight, you won't be gaining any mass. Also, the type of squat is important. High bar squats and front squats are so quad dominate that the hips and glutes are almost unused compared to the low back back squat. I don't like front squats but I understand peoples desire for larger quads. High bar squats are a recipe for cervical spine pain and I never recommend them.

If shoulder mobility hampers your ability to do a low bar back squat, you can do prone machine leg curls:

VR3PRONE-2.jpg

Not a fan of them personally since I don't like isolation exercises as a whole, but there are times when they are a "necessary evil" for vanity reasons. Arm curls and cable butterfly being examples of weights I am embarrassed to say I do. Hopefully the gym you go to has this machine with the feet towards a wall so that creeps aren't watching. This one and the good girl/bad girl machine are famous for meatheads to hang around.

2 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

Running is great for weightloss, but excessive running is catabolic unless you are eating enough to repair the damage being done to the muscle.

As for squats, it is pretty much the standard for building glutes, but if you are just doing air squats with your own body weight, you won't be gaining any mass. Also, the type of squat is important. High bar squats and front squats are so quad dominate that the hips and glutes are almost unused compared to the low back back squat. I don't like front squats but I understand peoples desire for larger quads. High bar squats are a recipe for cervical spine pain and I never recommend them.

If shoulder mobility hampers your ability to do a low bar back squat, you can do prone machine leg curls:

VR3PRONE-2.jpg

Not a fan of them personally since I don't like isolation exercises as a whole, but there are times when they are a "necessary evil" for vanity reasons. Arm curls and cable butterfly being examples of weights I am embarrassed to say I do. Hopefully the gym you go to has this machine with the feet towards a wall so that creeps aren't watching. This one and the good girl/bad girl machine are famous for meatheads to hang around.

I'm sorry I wanted to like this so so bad cuz it's full of very helpful information...but then I read this and snorted (double fontained) green tea out of my nostrils laughing so. dang. hard.

OK, if getting a toned butt is REALLY high on your priority list:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/13715002-jessica-biels-pistol-squats-will-kick-your-booty/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=111018_f_sat_curated&c_crid=cta2

I just wonder how toned I would get while recuperating from falling off the friggin' box!

Ugh... pistol squats... Why not just do both legs at once to the proper depth instead of so far down that it becomes dangerous to the knee? One legged pistol squats don't increase balance or work the core better than a traditional squat.

However, if it's just a movement or exercise she enjoys, more power to her. Just feel sorry for her knees when shes older.