Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone recommend how to start weight training?

On 11/9/2018 at 10:14 AM, Kay07 said:

Not going to lie, @BigViffer I love reading your posts. As someone who wanted to make sure my recovery included a heavy amount of exercise (I refused to be one of those people who viewed exercise as optional since the "surgery will make me lose weight anyways.") I have made it my goal to research as much as I could. Your fitness posts have always been helpful!

Agreed. Right now I am almost 18 months post op. I am at goal. Fitness is my primary concern now. And by fitness I mean functional strength, mobility, balance, flexibility, stamina, endurance and overall health.

@BigViffer recommended a book when I first came on whining about my gym anxiety (The Barbell Prescription) which I read along with other things. That book and the science behind building strength changed my view of what I was doing with this opportunity I had at the age of 50 having had VSG.

I have lost over 170 lbs. My deadlifts are strong, my upper body work is strong, I work my core like a beast (ab roll outs, stability ball walk outs, hanging leg raises, all sorts of planks, pikes, inverted sit ups, V-this and that are about half my gym time) and have gotten enough joint strength and mobility in my knees to start doing weighted squats (that one took real patience). And this is just the beginning. I am healthier and stronger than I was when I was a teenager - and I played lacrosse, tennis, field hockey, swam etc. and did it reasonably well.

Loosing weight is just the opportunity to actually create real health. People are shocked at how I look - they literally say they haven't seen someone lose this much weight and actually *look healthy*. Yes I have lose skin, yes it bothers me. But I'll either do something about it or I won't and that's undecided now. And I don't have so much lose skin that it impacts my health, wellness or mobility. Just impacts my comfort with my body in the sack.

People ask me all the time how I feel after losing so much weight and it's difficult to explain that the real miracle for me has been fitness - yes, that could not have happened without losing weight, however if I had just lost the weight and stayed mushy, squishy and weak I really don't think I would have been as satisfied with the new life I have.

And by the way, haven't seen it asked or answered - but @BigViffer, what is the Viffer?

Inquiring minds.

10 hours ago, Kat410 said:

Agreed. Right now I am almost 18 months post op. I am at goal. Fitness is my primary concern now. And by fitness I mean functional strength, mobility, balance, flexibility, stamina, endurance and overall health.

@BigViffer recommended a book when I first came on whining about my gym anxiety (The Barbell Prescription) which I read along with other things.

<snip>

And by the way, haven't seen it asked or answered - but @BigViffer, what is the Viffer?

Inquiring minds.

I almost got emotional reading this. My little grinch heart swelled, You actually read the book! I was fortunate enough to meet and get the authors autograph when I attended his lecture while promoting that book. When someone says that a book is life changing, I usually scoff. But that book is amazing in it's ability to present massive amounts of information easily.

As for the Viffer, wish I could say it was an entendre, but alas I cannot. It's my motorcycle. VFR1200. VFR's were normally 800cc, but mine is the big one at 1200cc's:

@Kat410

I love how you put this " if I had just lost the weight and stayed mushy, squishy and weak I really don't think I would have been as satisfied with the new life I have"

You should see a trainer that works at the gym you use. And ease into a steady workout as you get comfortable. For example, you should not do biceps, unless you are also doing tricep extensions, or leg extensions without leg curls because you build up one side of the appendage, a trainer can make sure you are doing the right sets at the right time.

Also, it good to have an extra set of eyes on you to make sure you are lifting correctly, and not straining any muscles, even if using a machine, you need to have the right heights and chair settings. Everyday almost, I see someone doing a bench press machine sitting way too low, they are only hurting their wrists and not getting anything out of the machine. I strained a wrist on a bent over row using a Smith Machine because I didn't think to "pre-rotate" my wrists back when I did it by myself. Needed a wrist wrap for lifting for over a month because of that. Also, many exercises require proper form or you are just wasting the time... There is an eagerness to see results and increase weights. I found out once I was doing the pect flye wrong in the last reps, so I really had back the weight down. And, a leg press, is not just a leg press, it can be very different based on where you place your feet, if you are doing quads or glutes (and other variations).

You should start with just a few groups, then add on to it. Just get your muscles used to some work, maybe sets of 12 reps before you start getting serious.

Trainers can also come up with exercises you need. I am in a "combat" fencing sport known as HEMA, and my trainer gave me some specific exercises for close in sword work that I haven't seen anyone at my LA Fitness ever do, "reverse curls," and a couple other things. I probably would never have come across it on my own, or not for a long time. I actually sat down, and demonstrated movements, and he added to my list. Trainers are worth the money. And after a while, you'll be competent enough to not need to see one frequently. I started with a series of maybe 8-10 exercises, and my trainer has me up to 3 day cycles of 8-9 lifts/core per day, and I should be doing more! But, it would have been too daunting to start out with a list of 24 exercises.

You should start with a small group so you know how much time you need. I used to be able to get to the gym and finish my day in an hour, but not anymore with 8-9 exercises with 2 minute rests between sets. The trainer also helped schedule them, I probably could have done it myself, but their input is good. For example, I keep my shoulder/chest/incline presses on different days, Otherwise, I'll be worn out by the time I got to the last one because the muscles they use do slightly overlap.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 11/11/2018 at 8:59 AM, BigViffer said:

I almost got emotional reading this. My little grinch heart swelled, You actually read the book! I was fortunate enough to meet and get the authors autograph when I attended his lecture while promoting that book. When someone says that a book is life changing, I usually scoff. But that book is amazing in it's ability to present massive amounts of information easily.

As for the Viffer, wish I could say it was an entendre, but alas I cannot. It's my motorcycle. VFR1200. VFR's were normally 800cc, but mine is the big one at 1200cc's:

I did read the book! and seriously it did change my life!

I do not currently do any kind of programming. I am going to read Starting Strength and Practical Programming most likely over the holidays. While I am building strength and progressing, I am not doing any kind of programming. My trainer is now working with me on tempo which is a whole new world of hurt.

And seriously, I am glad you can now be acknowledged for the contribution that post almost a year and a half ago was.

What a privilege to have this shot at a new life. Thank you.