Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for the gastric sleeve in January. I am having second thoughts and debating on changing surgery to the gastric bypass. Has anyone had the sleeve and wished they would have went ahead with the bypass? Or had a revision? Or anything like that and why. Thanks!

If you have a lot to lose, will not change your diet ,already have reflux, maladaptive eating patterns, diabetes/hypertension, lack of self control /moderation you may want to consider talking about the sleeve vs bypass again with your team.

Edited by GreenTealael

Ask Ellie123, or Matt Z , who went from lap-band to RnY, there are Many Many that went that route, Ellie123, if you can find her home or answering , she is back at work and traveling Europe a whole,lot, had all 3, happy happy happy with her bypass but it WASNT ALWAYS SO! One of the people with a more bumpy recovery than me, mine sways and is as bumpy as a cheap worn-out wood rollercoaster, but what the hey! Beats being obese and dead all hollow! Hasn't killed me yet, getting used to eating like a depressed earthworm, but I still look forward to purees, softs, my shoes and on to REAL food, even though I will engulf FOOD no more, I'll eat like a refined LADY instead of a Demented Tasmanian Devil, afraid I will miss something tasty in the Road!🚧⚠🚘NO MORE ROADKILL ETC. Sniff sniff! I'll make it yet to sane diet and a smooth life!

And if she is not Total Vegan , she is close. And FYI animal Protein, Precious Pouch won't accept meats, repulsed my last talapia, hated eggs, even soft gentle scrambled. Maybe SHE is telling me something? Well never TOO OLD to learn.😛❤🙏

49 minutes ago, Vegan_Bariatric said:

I am scheduled for the gastric sleeve in January. I am having second thoughts and debating on changing surgery to the gastric bypass. Has anyone had the sleeve and wished they would have went ahead with the bypass? Or had a revision? Or anything like that and why. Thanks!

I agree with @GreenTealael

The sleeve was the right choice for me. Less invasive, My intestines are not rerouted. Type one diabetic I can eat small amount of sugar without dumping syndrome.

Talk with your team. Find what's right for you.

If you have not been here already, Here is a link to a bariatricpal vegetarian/vegan forum.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/1101-vegetarian-or-vegan-eating/

Thank you Spell and post Correct, for your mis-guided changes to a lucid paragraph I posted. It was Mushies not My Shoes, although before this seige is over I may well chomp on a Cross-Trainer instead of a Binkey. What is worse, I do proofread before I post but LG and Verizon, don't know to blame more, translate it to what they THINK I SAID, How can I get to Chinese engineers and Verizon in New Jersey or elsewhere to strangle someone? See even my larceny,plans go awry! Would go back to bed, but haven't bought drapes for new location, Sun too bright until,afternoon.😣😞😣

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

If you have a lot to lose, will not change your diet ,already have reflux, maladaptive eating patterns, diabetes/hypertension, lack of self control /moderation you may want to consider talking about the sleeve vs bypass again with your team.

@GreenTealael My lack of self control/moderation is what is making me rethink the sleeve. I got approved for surgery about a month ago and have been having serious food control issues since then. And I'm scared if I don't have something that is super restrictive that I will not be as successful. I am currently sitting at around 210 (which isn't my highest of 252 or my lowest of 169) so to reach my goal weight of 145, I need to lose 65 pounds.

50 minutes ago, skinnylife said:

If you have not been here already, Here is a link to a bariatricpal vegetarian/vegan forum.

https://www.bariatricpal.com/forum/1101-vegetarian-or-vegan-eating/

This is awesome, Thank you!

1 hour ago, KimTriesRNY said:

What are your reasons for wanting to change?

Have you discussed this with your surgeon?

@KimTriesRNY I am afraid I won't be as successful and do not want to have to have a revision surgery later. I have a sugar addiction and do not know that the sleeve will be help me with that....

I have reached out to my surgeon and will hopefully get to speak with him soon about it.

@Vegan Bariatric, did you speak with your surgeon, are you still going ahead with your plans or are they on hold?

Me! I am in process of revision from VSG to RNY. My sleeve was dilated with the end of my esophagus due to stricture/dysphagia. This caused VSG to fail resulted in 65 lb weight gain. I have completed all pre testing. I have psych eval on 1/9 then we submit to insurance. Hopeful and ready.

An expression you sometimes hear is that VSG is just a diet with a smaller stomach, which means you may have to be more disciplined with what you eat long term than RNY or DS.

It is very easy to eat around any bariatric surgery so to be successful you will need to work on your head issues and not expect your new pouch/sleeve to do all the work. If you’re a food or sugar addict pre-op, you will probably still have challenges post-op. However, the difference will be positive changes to your metabolism and a real opportunity to maintain weight loss long term, assuming you eat healthy and appropriate portion sizes.

A risk of VSG is development of or worsening of GERD, which can lead to a need to revise to RNY. This could be a challenge financially if your insurance company will only pay for 1 bariatric surgery per lifetime.

But for RNY and DS, you must be committed to taking your Vitamins and getting labwork done at least once a year to monitor development of any deficiencies. If you can’tcommIt to this for the rest of your life then a malabsorptive surgery may not be a wise choice.

Deciding which type of surgery to have is a big deal so please conduct your own thorough and accurate research on the pros & cons of each and select the one that will work best for YOU. Good luck.

HI there. I am considering a revision form SVG to RNY. What all are you required to do pre-op? You have to do everything before you know if insurance will cover your procedure? DO you have any concerns/reservations?