Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling with post op diet and calorie restriction.

I have been feeling frustrated, and I figured I would share with others who may have experienced it or currently feel this way.

I was sleeved three weeks ago on 10-17. I am currently in a 4 week soft food stage- if I can mash it with a fork I’m allowed to have it. I have been slightly stretching what is and isn’t a soft food, and I worry I’m going down the wrong path. I am finding it very very frustrating to stay under 800 calories, but I don’t know if that’s because I am actually hungry or if it is all head hunger. I do feel like volume wise I am able to consume more that I should, or at least do it out of old habits. I also do occasion feel like a gnawing in my stomach, but I don’t know if that’s me being hungry or an ulcer (I’ve never had an ulcer and have had no issues with scid reflux, but I think that can sometimes be a sign?) Law school finals are in three weeks, and at this point during all past semesters I would be stress eating. It wasn’t healthy but god it was so much simpler. I do get around 80 grams of Protein a day (sometimes more, sometimes less but never less than 60), and I do struggle a bit with water- I usually end up right at the 60-64 oz mark for the day, but I know it would be good to get more. Ultimately, I think my biggest battle is that I love to munch. I can’t wait until I can crunch into some freshly sliced cucumber with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt.

I meet with the nutritionist on november 19 and I know that will help. I also will be seeing a therapist starting next week, because it’s free through my school so why not? In the mean time, I am scared and frustrated. I think week 3 has been the hardest, even compared to the immediate post op recovery of week 1.

Hydrate until set meal times arrive. Only eat at set meal times. If is not that time, it's water/tea/ coffee/popsicle time.

Hunger is normal. You can feel it an still survive. Stay focused, you can do this!

Safe Journey

I swear from 3 weeks on, I had considerable hunger. And I too could eat more than I should. So I didn't. I closely followed my doc's post-op plan to the letter of the law, including quantities. And I at 3 weeks I was eating 3 meals + 1 snack + 4oz Premier Protein snack (cuz that was my doc's plan).

I was on softies (not mushies). I ate 1/2cup of food per meal and I weighed everything that went into the cup.

I did experience hunger and I just had to rein myself in and deal with it. That sounds hard-hearted, but I did and do still have to practice tough love on my wayward self. Cuz I didn't "accidentally" find myself at the Obesity Ball, I ate myself into a lifetime invitation to it whether I'm in a "skinny dress" or my "tent."

So I had to accept like @GreenTealael that hunger is part of life. And just cuz we're hungry, does not mean we must eat. I learned that hunger passes and does not build in intensity if left unfed. I learned that if ignored, hunger goes away and is less the next time. I learned that if I fed hunger, it would continue to grow. I had REAL hunger too, plus significant head hunger and cravings. I just had to deal. It sux. Honestly. But now it's so much better.

Also, you could be having extra acid that is masquerading as hunger. It can make you feel hungry.

But I would really encourage you to weigh and measure your food and eat no more than 1/2c per meal with 1 or 2 very tiny meals or a Protein supp to make your protein goal.

Also thirst MUST be dealt with or it will make you feel hunger. I would drink a cup or more of Water every time I felt hunger.

Good luck on finals!!

As always, great advice from @GreenTealael @FluffyChix

To put your mind at ease, you can have your Dr check to see if you have an ulcer or acid reflux. Things will get better as you progress to real food. You are taking action to changing your behaviors. This is the mental battle with weight loss. One of the best gifts out of surgery is the things you overcome.

Give us and update on how things progress after seeing your nutritionist and therapist.

Wishing the best for you,

Jenn

Edited by skinnylife

Sorry to hear you're struggling. The feeling of hunger people experience post-op is very variable. Some don't lose their sense of hunger at all, some feel almost none. You just have to live with your body.

Did your doctor prescribe a PPI for the first month after surgery? (Prilosec, omeprazole, etc.) PPIs reduce the amount of acid your stomach produces. You can ask your doctor's office about this, since acid mimics hunger. My doctor prescribes them for all patients for the first month to help with healing.

Good luck with school and hope this all gets better for you.

15 hours ago, BelleOfBatonRouge said:

I have been feeling frustrated, and I figured I would share with others who may have experienced it or currently feel this way.

I was sleeved three weeks ago on 10-17. I am currently in a 4 week soft food stage- if I can mash it with a fork I’m allowed to have it. I have been slightly stretching what is and isn’t a soft food, and I worry I’m going down the wrong path. I am finding it very very frustrating to stay under 800 calories, but I don’t know if that’s because I am actually hungry or if it is all head hunger. I do feel like volume wise I am able to consume more that I should, or at least do it out of old habits. I also do occasion feel like a gnawing in my stomach, but I don’t know if that’s me being hungry or an ulcer (I’ve never had an ulcer and have had no issues with scid reflux, but I think that can sometimes be a sign?) Law school finals are in three weeks, and at this point during all past semesters I would be stress eating. It wasn’t healthy but god it was so much simpler. I do get around 80 grams of Protein a day (sometimes more, sometimes less but never less than 60), and I do struggle a bit with water- I usually end up right at the 60-64 oz mark for the day, but I know it would be good to get more. Ultimately, I think my biggest battle is that I love to munch. I can’t wait until I can crunch into some freshly sliced cucumber with a tablespoon of Greek yogurt.

I meet with the nutritionist on november 19 and I know that will help. I also will be seeing a therapist starting next week, because it’s free through my school so why not? In the mean time, I am scared and frustrated. I think week 3 has been the hardest, even compared to the immediate post op recovery of week 1.

I’m on week three too. I am able to eat soft Protein but I get what you mean about feeling hungry. For me, I think it’s just in my head sometimes. I’m used to eating whenever I want and that’s why I look the way I do!

I think it’s great your seeing a therapist! That’ll be helpful. Can you take a walk to feel less stressed while you’re studying? Maybe set your watch for every hour just get up and move and drink some Water or crysyal light?

You’ve got a lot going on. Don’t be to hard on yourself! It’s hard to stop thinking about food!

Good luck!

Im exactly the same starving at times, but I had a 10 cal low jelly today, but I also had a small cake at work, I know frown but I wasnt sick or anything all was ok, Im worried I caved in, but only had Soup and jacket potatoe today, being back at work and all sins around, I thought it would make me ill but it didnt but I havent been to the toilet for a few days either. Im at week 4

Fay

Edited by Butterflydreams

Hey you and I🐛dreams, I don't seem to have a butterfly emoji so you got a larva! Anyway I was certain my surgeon had drawn on me with Magic Marker. I was rereading postings my son had sent on my behaft, apparently I had more oral and IV meds than I REMEMBER. I could have sworn in court I had NOTHING! Well I did feel good and no other surgical meds did that for ME! Kudos to my Dr Needleman!😷and his happy tribe of warriors! And God Bless🙏Ohio State University Hospital- Wexner Medical Center! I better say nice things about them, tomorrow I undergo Endoscopy #5 of my life, an EGJ, that's the kind Bypassers get, you VSG and ESG can still have your Duodenum visualized , we cannot again. As the old carnival barker used to say, "You pays your 💰, you takes your choice!", I always took that to mean You gain, You lose with much of life!👈😛👉

Hi! Eat blended bean Soup like black bean soup. You can only eat so little because it makes the belly uncomfortable. I was only hitting 400cals at your stage. Just eat Soups and chili and tuna salad and chicken salad. You will see that you can barely eat much Bc it hurts. Best of luck :)

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for the support. I would say today was my best day post-surgery, and I’m hoping I have more good days than bad days ahead. I hope everyone has a good weekend