Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I just scheduled my surgery for December 26th and I’m a self pay patient. After I scheduled surgery I was bombarded with all the things I need to do in the next 7 weeks to prepare for surgery, including dividing my time and a full school schedule with my surgery requirements. I feel completely overwhelmed and was on the verge of a panic attack on the drive home! All of the appointments, nutrition visits, etc. as well as dealing with the reality that this is now a tangible thing in the very very near future that I’m investing a lot of money in. Did anyone have this feeling of dread and panic right after scheduling surgery? Luckily I was able to get into my local hospital rather than going out of the country, which eases my anxiety. Any words of advice to deal with this panic and severe anxiety? Thanks so much.

Absolutely normal! Heck I’m having RNY on Tuesday and has my preop class today and started getting cold feet BIG time! I just had to remind myself why I started this journey and calmed down. Perfectly normal feelings. Good luck!

The only words of advice I have are

Keep the end goal in sight and

Breath!

I think most people would agree that they had some anxiety before surgery! I know I sure did! And having an actual date makes it that much more tangible! I agree with the last comment - breathe and remember why you wanted to do this! Good luck!!

Thanks everyone. The word “death” on the packet just really really scares me to the point where I panic about this decision. I don’t know how to rationalize it!

If Death was a definate possibility, would there still be so many posters on Bariatric Pal? Probably should be a large mural outside Wedding Chapels stating " Marriage May Be Hazardous to Your Health!"& do you think people would slow down their headfirst jog into the nearest one.?🎉🎊🍰💑

Hi everyone,

I just scheduled my surgery for December 26th and I’m a self pay patient. After I scheduled surgery I was bombarded with all the things I need to do in the next 7 weeks to prepare for surgery, including dividing my time and a full school schedule with my surgery requirements. I feel completely overwhelmed and was on the verge of a panic attack on the drive home! All of the appointments, nutrition visits, etc. as well as dealing with the reality that this is now a tangible thing in the very very near future that I’m investing a lot of money in. Did anyone have this feeling of dread and panic right after scheduling surgery? Luckily I was able to get into my local hospital rather than going out of the country, which eases my anxiety. Any words of advice to deal with this panic and severe anxiety? Thanks so much.
I reckon nearly everyone has some level of stress prior to surgery. In my case it wasn't the operation itself (coz of a variety of illnesses I've been under that many times I've lost count) but more the panic of what this will mean to be permanently unable to eat a family size block of chocolate in one sitting (I know, I know, priorities - right!)

Be kind to yourself! If you find yourself obsessing over it, try and break the brain cycling with a distraction. Come and read all the VET success stories here. You can do this - it's hard work but oh so worth it!

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

Because I have insurance it was a very long process of getting required steps met in order to get a surgery date. But one I had a date set everything moved very quickly and I remember feeling excited and nervous or panicked at the same time. I think what you are feeling is very normal considering this really is a life changing experience. One day at a time and keep the end goal as a reminder why you started this process. My surgery was almost not approved and I prayed "Lord if this is your will for me then everything will come back approved and if it isn't approved I'll know to stop trying to get it done." This was my second attempt over the last almost 3 years. If you are Christian I'd say just keep praying and asking for peace with your decision to move forward and find comfort knowing you are in the hands of the Lord and he's not going to let anything happen to you. You can do it.