Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No pizza for 4-5 months???

I just heard that you can have any bread for at least 4 to 5 months. I don’t think I could ever go that long without eating one slice or half slice of pizza. Is this true?

I just heard that you can have any bread for at least 4 to 5 months. I don’t think I could ever go that long without eating one slice or half slice of pizza. Is this true?
I plan to have pizza sooner...but just the toppings. I'll live without the crust.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using BariatricPal mobile app

32 minutes ago, pdamoci said:

I found in Walmart the other night, the so real good pizzas where the crust is made from chicken and they only have 4 carbs per snack size. I think the snack size will be good for our sleeves. I bought a box of those to try around christmas or new year when i can eat again LOL.. I am baing sleeved tomorrow.

On 11/07/2018 at 07:36, pdamoci said:

This varies by plan.

Also- keep in mind you are doing this to break those habits. After awhile your carb cravings will subside a bit. And maybe you’ll slip up and take a bite of that pizza, but the important thing is to get back on your plan and stick to it as best you can.

The truth is you have to find other things that make you feel good and comfort you post-op, because using food to do these things is what got many of us here to begin with.

I never thought I could give up soda or carbonated beverages. Drank them every day for basically my entire life. Drank them more than Water. But here I am- four months out- haven’t had even a sip of soda and don’t really mind that. Are you gonna let not eating pizza for a few months stop you from your goals?

7 minutes ago, insta_adventurer said:

The truth is you have to find other things that make you feel good and comfort you post-op, because using food to do these things is what got many of us here to begin with.

This is statement, at least for me, has been the major issue. I have to change my relationship with food and not rely on food to comfort me when I'm stressed, sad, mad, etc. It's a process that I work at every day.

@pdamociOn the bright side, all the tales of "your tastes will change after surgery" seem to be very true and it's not always related to the fact that you've cut out sugar or fat or carbs. I have never been a regular fish or seafood eater. It's not because I didn't like it, I just liked other things better. Ever since I was sleeved I seem to crave seafood. Shrimp has become my favorite Protein and I willingly choose fish at restaurants when I would have previously ordered beef because that's what I honestly want, not because I think I should.

As someone who just prior to having surgery was diagnosed with a gluten sensitivity, you absolutely can go without bread. Don't get me wrong, I cheat every now and then but you make sacrifices for your overall health. Instead of focusing on the things that you may need to temporarily give up, instead focusing on how to make that a healthier option. There are a ton of different "crusts" out there to replace the carb heavy breaded option, and some of them are really quite good!

I think anyone going for this surgery needs to have an honest conversation with them-self about realistic expectations of food relationships. Too many people think they are just giving something up for now or for the immediate time after surgery, and can't wait to get back to real food as soon as they are thin (I by no means think this is what you are doing at all, please do not take offense! Just a trend I've noticed over the past year stalking this forum). I think that way of thinking results in a failure to maintain success. Instead reinvent how you interact with food! I personally LOVED using my pre-surgery prep to discover and try new and interesting recipes that made me fall in love with food in a completely different way.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:36 AM, pdamoci said:

No offense, but are you sure this surgery is right for you? And that you’re mentally prepared for surgery?

On 11/7/2018 at 7:36 AM, pdamoci said:

I was told to never have bread again (or Pasta, potatoes, rice). So unless it's a cauliflower crust, I don't plan on having it. I can have one piece of whole wheat toast at 8-9 months, and that's only if I get all my Protein in first, so probably unlikely I will ever have room for starchy foods.

Edited by mousecat88

No offense, but are you sure this surgery is right for you? And that you’re mentally prepared for surgery?
This is uncalled for. I am sorry, but I am tired of people on the site being judgemental. Let's be honest, if you think you will go the rest of your life without eating a piece of pizza, or something that is unhealthy, you are not being realistic. The point of this surgery is to not punish you. You can eat healthy most of the time, exercise, and enjoy a piece of pizza once in a blue moon. We all have our favorite foods and if we can handle these foods in moderation, as part of a generally healthy diet, than that is ok. I would love to meet someone a year out that has not had anything unhealthy, or one of their favorite foods. At 9 months out, I am almost at goal, maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly. And you know what? I have had a ice of pizza! I've had a few pieces of chocolate even! And...my doctor is ok with that because he knows what is realistic and what is not.

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

47 minutes ago, TexasMommy80 said:

This is uncalled for. I am sorry, but I am tired of people on the site being judgemental. Let's be honest, if you think you will go the rest of your life without eating a piece of pizza, or something that is unhealthy, you are not being realistic. The point of this surgery is to not punish you. You can eat healthy most of the time, exercise, and enjoy a piece of pizza once in a blue moon. We all have our favorite foods and if we can handle these foods in moderation, as part of a generally healthy diet, than that is ok. I would love to meet someone a year out that has not had anything unhealthy, or one of their favorite foods. At 9 months out, I am almost at goal, maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly. And you know what? I have had a ice of pizza! I've had a few pieces of chocolate even! And...my doctor is ok with that because he knows what is realistic and what is not.

I figured my post would get this reaction, but I have to disagree with you. I think saying “I don’t think I can go 4-5 months without pizza” is a negative mindset. The reality for anyone that thinks that is, “yes you can go without pizza for 5 months”. Not saying that you can’t have pizza or whatever junk food for the rest of your life. That’s not realistic. But if your dr says you can’t have _____ food for X amount of months, and the response is “I’m unable to do that”, I think it’s fair to question if that person is ready to take on a life changing surgery.

1 hour ago, TexasMommy80 said:

This is uncalled for. I am sorry, but I am tired of people on the site being judgemental. Let's be honest, if you think you will go the rest of your life without eating a piece of pizza, or something that is unhealthy, you are not being realistic.

Preach. I had a few people tell me that they "seriously questioned whether I was ready for surgery" and that it probably wasn't right for me, when I posted pre-op that I was really nervous and that I had cheated on my pre-op diet. Well a giant middle finger to them because I am doing great. It's no one's place to ask someone else if they are ready for surgery. You can privately think that, but I am sure they have thought this over before doing it and are posting in a state of anxiety or worry. Plus, OP ALREADY HAD THE SURGERY according to her side stats soooooo... no point in asking that because it's a little too late regardless. I never thought I could go this long without Taco Bell... but it's been two months and look at me now. lmao.

Edited by mousecat88

I think it depends on the person. I - for one - know that I can NEVER have Doritos again! I have zero control over myself around Doritos. I CAN have a piece of pizza eventually (though I love the Cali’flour crusts so I’ll stick with those). I’m not addicted to pizza. Every person is different. And having something occasionally is probably ok as part of a healthy diet. It depends whether you can keep it “occasional” - which I would not be able to to with Doritos!

1 hour ago, mousecat88 said:

Preach. I had a few people tell me that they "seriously questioned whether I was ready for surgery" and that it probably wasn't right for me, when I posted pre-op that I was really nervous and that I had cheated on my pre-op diet.

Hobby psychologists galore.

Yes, you can and will need to go at least that long without pizza. Short term loss, long term gain