Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take to hit your goal and when did your loss slow down?

9 hours ago, BlueCrush said:

About 9 months for me. I've since been trying to ADD weight (never in my life thought I'd say that) with muscle. It's crazy how fast it goes by when you get in a good routine.

WOW! That's awesome!! Go figure, right?! Congratulations, you've done amazing!!!

1 hour ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I have yet to hit goal but my loss has slowed down tremendously. My body is very happy with these extra 25 pounds and it’s a fight to get each one off now.

I would say my first 100 pounds came off very easily, and then the weight loss slowed to a normal rate.

Naturally there will be a difference between someone that has 100 pounds to lose and 200 pounds to lose.

I want to lose another 25 at least, but it could take six months or more.

Oh absolutely!! I had about 150lbs to lose from the beginning, as of today I have another 82lbs to go to hit my final goal. Getting off the main bulk is exciting.

You've lost 100lbs so far?! Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! You can get that last 25lbs off girl, even if it takes a little longer, you can do it!

Thank you for sharing, it helps me understand the long term a little bit more :)

12 hours ago, MiltonP said:

For me it was 6 month I lost 120 pounds, I’m going to the gym 5 times a week also I practice jūjutsu 3 times a week so it was really fast now I’m trying not to lose anymore weight which I never thought It would be posible

keep eating right and go to the gym regularly you’ll get to your goal in no time

How long after your surgery were you able to go to the gym? And were you able to do a full hour of exercise??

I am almost to my first goal of 175 (10lbs away!), and I am a week shy of 6 months out post surgery. I have lost 75lbs since surgery, and 102lbs since starting this process in March 2018. My weight loss has slowed significantly over the past month in comparison to the previous. I was averaging about 10-14lbs a month, and am now down to about 5-8lbs a month, but it is to be expected as I am closing in on goal. Additionally I kicked up my workouts significantly, so despite the numbers coming down slower, I feel better and the sizes are dropping off me like crazy! (Not so good for my wallet, dropping $300 on clothes every month because the consignment shops near me suck!)

You will loose best the first few months, but as long as you are sticking with your plan it will keep coming off.

1 minute ago, Kay07 said:

I am almost to my first goal of 175 (10lbs away!), and I am a week shy of 6 months out post surgery. I have lost 75lbs since surgery, and 102lbs since starting this process in March 2018. My weight loss has slowed significantly over the past month in comparison to the previous. I was averaging about 10-14lbs a month, and am now down to about 5-8lbs a month, but it is to be expected as I am closing in on goal. Additionally I kicked up my workouts significantly, so despite the numbers coming down slower, I feel better and the sizes are dropping off me like crazy! (Not so good for my wallet, dropping $300 on clothes every month because the consignment shops near me suck!)

You will loose best the first few months, but as long as you are sticking with your plan it will keep coming off.

That is so great though. I am so happy for you. For a woman, feeling good in your clothes is an amazing feeling. Congrats!

29 minutes ago, Mrs.Braxton<3 said:

How long after your surgery were you able to go to the gym? And were you able to do a full hour of exercise??

5 days after surgery I was walking 5k slowly with my dog, 2 weeks after surgery was clear for the gym only slow cardio training, 1 month after surgery I was clear to start doing a little low weight training nothing that envolved using my abdomen for strength , 3 months after surgery I was completly cleared

but I strongly recommend talking to your Dr before trying any of it

Just now, MiltonP said:

5 days after surgery I was walking 5k slowly with my dog, 2 weeks after surgery was clear for the gym only slow cardio training, 1 month after surgery I was clear to start doing a little low weight training nothing that envolved using my abdomen for strength , 3 months after surgery I was completly cleared

I didn't even think about not doing exercises that involve the abdomen. Thank you! I will for sure check with my Dr. I want to make sure I get started in the gym as soon as I can so I can build a routine and habit of going.

2 minutes ago, MiltonP said:

This is pretty much the same timeline as me. I was cleared for cardio at 2 weeks, weights at 1 month, and full cleared at 3. I was doing OTF at about 4 months post op.

21 hours ago, danieocean said:

I am 3 weeks out from my surgery, still losing at least a pound a day. Eating right, drinking enough liquids, taking all my Vitamins and staying as active as possible. We live in Vegas and the weather is great, my hubby and I like to go for nice long walks on the strip and people watch :) I feel great! Getting really excited, my 3x clothes are already getting to be too baggy for me. I have a donation bag started! I am so motivated to lose this weight and just wanted to see how quickly everyone hit their goal and when the "honeymoon" weight loss stops. I'm truly enjoying the pound a day loss, but don't expect it to continue forever. Hope everyone is doing fabulous!

Congrats on three weeks out!

Weight loss is at its best in the first months. It will slow down as you progress. Take advantage of your first year. We all lose at different rates. It's not a race and comparing stats with others will make you crazy.

I got to gaol in six months. Nothing magic. I followed my plan. Walked, elliptical and a bit of weight training.

Honeymoon phase: My answer depends on your definition of honeymoon phase.

• I think my first stall made me realize this is work
  • The reality that any of us can gain weight back
  • The high from seeing the scale move stops and maintaining begins

Four years out - I am still grateful and excited about this 2nd chance in life. Weight Loss, getting my health back, having adventures in life........ It's still a honeymoon to me.😉

Edited by skinnylife

9 hours ago, danieocean said:

Oh absolutely!! I had about 150lbs to lose from the beginning, as of today I have another 82lbs to go to hit my final goal. Getting off the main bulk is exciting.

You've lost 100lbs so far?! Congratulations!!! That is so exciting! You can get that last 25lbs off girl, even if it takes a little longer, you can do it!

Thank you for sharing, it helps me understand the long term a little bit more :)

I’ve lost over 160 pounds. My first main goal is to get under 200 pounds, and at a touch over 5 foot 10 I’m ok with that. My surgeon thinks I could reach 175 but who knows.

If you start out a bit higher, it may take a bit longer to get there....but you are right. Once the main bulk comes off, it is exciting. I can shop in regular size clothes, walk without being exhausted, I’m not constantly anxious about having to go to social situations due to my weight. You don’t have to reach goal before you start seeing the benefits and it definitely helps to keep you motivated to keep working towards that final goal!

5 hours ago, lissy921311 said:

You can expect to continue to lose for 6 months if you stay on the plan and exercise as you are. I was 3x and now I am a large after losing 90 lbs in 6 mos.

OMG, that is AWESOME! Congratulation. Looking so forward to moving out of the plus size section. More than anything I hate how limited the selection is...and the cute stuff gets so expensive (Torrid). Thank you for sharing! :)

5 hours ago, KimTriesRNY said:

I’ve lost over 160 pounds. My first main goal is to get under 200 pounds, and at a touch over 5 foot 10 I’m ok with that. My surgeon thinks I could reach 175 but who knows.

If you start out a bit higher, it may take a bit longer to get there....but you are right. Once the main bulk comes off, it is exciting. I can shop in regular size clothes, walk without being exhausted, I’m not constantly anxious about having to go to social situations due to my weight. You don’t have to reach goal before you start seeing the benefits and it definitely helps to keep you motivated to keep working towards that final goal!

You go girl!!! I feel you, I'm a little over 5'9" and don't have a small frame...I had family members in the NFL. All linebackers! We're made just made big.

I can't wait to buy smaller clothes. I'm definitely out of 3x territory and back into 2x, so that's great! Avoiding social situations is definitely a big thing with me. I hate being the biggest girl in the room. Not any more, darn it! You're truly inspiring and I can't wait to be where you're at! :)

6 hours ago, skinnylife said:

Congrats on three weeks out!

Weight loss is at its best in the first months. It will slow down as you progress. Take advantage of your first year. We all lose at different rates. It's not a race and comparing stats with others will make you crazy.

I got to gaol in six months. Nothing magic. I followed my plan. Walked, elliptical and a bit of weight training.

Honeymoon phase: My answer depends on your definition of honeymoon phase.

• I think my first stall made me realize this is work
  • The reality that any of us can gain weight back
  • The high from seeing the scale move stops and maintaining begins

Four years out - I am still grateful and excited about this 2nd chance in life. Weight Loss, getting my health back, having adventures in life........ It's still a honeymoon to me.😉

Thank you so much!!! I absolutely will take advantage of the new tiny tummy and these pounds falling off. You're right, comparing myself with others will ultimately drive me crazy. I am SOOOO happy for you, seriously, you rock and your success makes me feel even more like I can do this. Some days are harder than others. More than anything I've realized on this weight loss journey is that I have to take it one meal at a time and revel in the scales increasingly smaller numbers!

11 hours ago, lissy921311 said:

You can expect to continue to lose for 6 months if you stay on the plan and exercise as you are. I was 3x and now I am a large after losing 90 lbs in 6 mos.

I would never say Expect to lose X amount of weight in X amount of time to anyone. Body physiology, medical issues medications can be a factor in rate of weight loss. We are all different and have our own experience with this process.