Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with leaks?

Hi all!

I’m a lapband to VSG to soon to be RNY convert. Due to severe reflux and a hiatal hernia Dr. thinks RNY would be the best option for me. He did say my risk increases for leaks because of previous surgeries. I’m curious to hear about stories from anyone who has had this surgical path with all three procedures and from those who have had leaks. Thanks for the information!!

I am in the exact same boat as you. I hadn't heard about leakage but i know because of the two previous procedures, the surgery will take a little longer. I'm scheduled for December 5th.

I don’t think leaks are a common issue with people that have had multiple bariatric surgeries. Instead, it sounds like it may be an issue with your surgeon’s practice. You may want to investigate further.

I had revision surgery in July 2018 and have had 5 abdominal surgeries in my lifetime. My surgeon, who is one of the preeminent bariatric/GI surgeons in the U.S., did not tell me I was at increased risk for leaks. I have suffered no complications post-op.

On 11/08/2018 at 07:19, ScorpioC_RnY said:

I'm a newly revision patient myself; Sleeve to Bypass. I just had revision surgery on Monday 11/5/18 and terrified of getting leaks or clots. I had GERDS really bad so this was the best option for me.

Sent from my WestgateOwner Tablet using BariatricPal mobile app

How are you feeling? Did your doctor mention the increased risk?

On 11/08/2018 at 21:19, ScorpioC_RnY said:

I’m feeling ok. Pain easing up day by day. My Dr did mention leaks, clots, kidney failure which he said is unlikely but he had to make me aware.

Right, it makes sense that they would mention all that because they are all possibilities even if they are small ones surgeons should make their patients aware so they can make the best informed decision for their health. Glad to hear you are getting better. Did you do a leak test before you left the hospital? How’s drinking?

I don’t think I did a leak test. I have had no problem with drinking at all. I don’t event feel hungry. Before my stomach would rattle all the time. Today I got in all 64oz. Popsicles are my go to.

When is your surgery date; are you ready?

On 11/08/2018 at 21:35, ScorpioC_RnY said:

I don’t think I did a leak test. I have had no problem with drinking at all. I don’t event feel hungry. Before my stomach would rattle all the time. Today I got in all 64oz. Popsicles are my go to.

When is your surgery date; are you ready?

I do not have a date yet, only because even though this is medically necessary according to the doctor they’re not sure what insurance is going to do. So they’re having me do an accelerated bariatric program so they have a lot of evidence for insurance to get an approval. I’m hoping in the next couple of months because the GERD is very severe, Doctor said some of the worst he’s seen.

I do not have a date yet, only because even though this is medically necessary according to the doctor they’re not sure what insurance is going to do. So they’re having me do an accelerated bariatric program so they have a lot of evidence for insurance to get an approval. I’m hoping in the next couple of months because the GERD is very severe, Doctor said some of the worst he’s seen.
You may need to contact your insurance provider and ask what are their requirements for revision surgery. My doctor thought we would have a lot of issues getting approved but, we didn't. The process was quick and easy with approval on first try. Mr doctor just knew we would have to challenge the insurance company. We all was surprise when they approved me and we didn't have to put up a fight. They approved with the reason stating that the surgery was medically necessary.

ScorpioC_RnY

I'm a newly revision patient myself; Sleeve to Bypass. I just had revision surgery on Monday 11/5/18 and terrified of getting leaks or clots. I had GERDS really bad so this was the best option for me.

Sent from my WestgateOwner Tablet using BariatricPal mobile app

Im 3 yrs out vsg. And looking to have the same revision, hoping the first part of the year if approved! My GERD is horrible as well, my surgeon said the revision well help a lot as well restart my weightloss. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Im super nervous, but I'm so ready!

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

My weight loss had completely stopped after 8 months post VSG. Hopefully, converting will solve my gerd issue and kick my weight loss into full gear again. I’m ready to get back into the gym and working out. Not to mention I’m already sick of this liquid stage. I guess I’m more bored with the choices than anything. It’s only so much you can do😊. I’m ready for an egg, cheese or something. I’m getting where I don’t like the taste of Greek yogurt anymore.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:39, ScorpioC_RnY said:

How much did you loose with your first surgery?

With the band I lost a maximum of 30 lbs, then I had the sleeve done 9 years later and I lost 75lbs, but have regained about 20 because some bad stuff doesn’t give me reflux.

On 11/09/2018 at 06:44, ScorpioC_RnY said:

You may need to contact your insurance provider and ask what are their requirements for revision surgery. My doctor thought we would have a lot of issues getting approved but, we didn't. The process was quick and easy with approval on first try. Mr doctor just knew we would have to challenge the insurance company. We all was surprise when they approved me and we didn't have to put up a fight. They approved with the reason stating that the surgery was medically necessary.

ScorpioC_RnY

I did contact but they’re so vague. While it is a bariatric surgery the reason isn’t for weight loss it’s for the reflux and that’s what we’re hoping they can present to the insurance. We shall see.