Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op hot flashes

Bypass surgery 10/29. Had some complications. Developed kidney failure. Came home yesterday. Past few days I have been getting random hot flashes. My face and neck turn bright red and lasts a few minutes. Anyone else experience this or know what is causing it?

May I ask how old you are? If you're over 40 it could be perimenopause! Of course if you're young, all bets are off. Sorry this is happening to you!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 50 but I do not think it is that. I finally found some old posts on here of many others having the same experience and it can last pretty long after surgery :(

Good to know many others had the same thing. I don't look forward to going through hot flashes again, though! Once was enough!! Lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

What happened to cause the kidney failure?

They are not sure. Surgeon thinks I had a bad reaction to something they gave me during surgery like the antibiotic maybe but they are just guessing. Urine was backed up in my Kidneys so I needed a foley catheter and then they just started pushing mass fluids thru me.

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you've had following your bypass surgery.

Now my curiosity is up concerning the hot flashes after surgery. I am getting hot flashes like crazy, but mostly at night when I'm sleeping. They are so annoying and uncomfortable. I am hot, so I kick the covers off, then I get cold... and it can just continue like that for hours, which is really tough because I'm losing sleep. Makes me feel like poop the next day. Anyway, I had my bypass revision around May 1st of this year. I guess the hot flashes started about 2 months ago. I am starting to wonder if I am perimenopausal, although I don't have any of the usual "symptoms" other than the hot flashes. I am 47 and had a hysterectomy 8 years ago, but my surgeon left my ovaries.

Not much help to ya, but wanted to jump in on this topic since I'm experiencing something similar. I might dig around and find some of the posts/conversation on this topic.

Wish you the best, get well soon and congratulations on your bypass surgery.

Thx mylighthouse and sorry to hear you are having night sweats. I have that problem as well. My research is pointing to too much estrogen in the body. From what I have read, estrogen is stored in our fat cells so as we lose weight the hormone is released. Let me know if you find any other possible causes.